Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: latency issues while synching 2 iRiver sources....  (Read 9146 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
latency issues while synching 2 iRiver sources....
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:41:17 PM »
so, I have a recording that Im trying to synch. one SBD source, and one AUD. both were recorded on 2 seperate iRivers (120) from UA-5's. I used this method many times, and never had an issue. For some reason, Im getting major drift between sources. Whenever I match them, anywhere from 20-90 seconds later they drift from each other. Both are 44.1.

What the heck could possibly be causing this????  ???
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: latency issues while synching 2 iRiver sources....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »
so, I have a recording that Im trying to synch. one SBD source, and one AUD. both were recorded on 2 seperate iRivers (120) from UA-5's. I used this method many times, and never had an issue. For some reason, Im getting major drift between sources. Whenever I match them, anywhere from 20-90 seconds later they drift from each other. Both are 44.1.

Just different clocks. When I mixed between a 722 and MR-1, the drift wasn't constant show to show so I always had to redo the math. I'd hazard a guess that you've been getting lucky in prior instances.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:55:40 PM »

Just different clocks. When I mixed between a 722 and MR-1, the drift wasn't constant show to show so I always had to redo the math. I'd hazard a guess that you've been getting lucky in prior instances.

They start drifting 90 seconds into the recording?  That's not normal.  Even taking into account clock speeds between separate devices drift shouldn't start to happen until further into the recording.  Even when I sync two totally different recorders that used different sampling rates I rarely get more than about 1/2 to 1 second of total drift over an hour or more.  I wish I could help more but I can tell you for sure if the recording starts to drift after that short of a time then something is wrong with the recorder it's happening on.

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:28:47 PM »
ya, this is REALLY bizarre and frustrating. Shouldnt the iRivers typically have no issues synching since they are on the same clock? Ive never had this problem using these2 recorders. Ive tried for HOURS and still cant seem to fix this matrix...  :-\

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:02:39 PM »

They start drifting 90 seconds into the recording?  That's not normal.  Even taking into account clock speeds between separate devices drift shouldn't start to happen until further into the recording.  Even when I sync two totally different recorders that used different sampling rates I rarely get more than about 1/2 to 1 second of total drift over an hour or more.  I wish I could help more but I can tell you for sure if the recording starts to drift after that short of a time then something is wrong with the recorder it's happening on.

my fr2-le and iriver drifted enough after 3-5 minutes that it made it unpleasant. My MR-1 and 722 didn't seem to drift for a good 20 minutes. Out of an hr, it's usually not off more then 22000 samples.

ya, this is REALLY bizarre and frustrating. Shouldnt the iRivers typically have no issues synching since they are on the same clock? Ive never had this problem using these2 recorders. Ive tried for HOURS and still cant seem to fix this matrix...  :-\

Nope, all devices are best treated as individuals. You may get 2 722s, but they will have drift unless you use the WC or CLink functions. It's just a question of how much how fast.

As for fixing it, if the drift is reasonably constant, then the best guess is to treat it like any normal non-WC mix and stretch via resampling. Morst wrote an FAQ and directions (which are remarkable I might add, just make sure to read them a couple of times first) about it somewhere in the computer section.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »

As for fixing it, if the drift is reasonably constant, then the best guess is to treat it like any normal non-WC mix and stretch via resampling. Morst wrote an FAQ and directions (which are remarkable I might add, just make sure to read them a couple of times first) about it somewhere in the computer section.

tried searching, couldnt find this. Any idea where it is???? Thanks for your input btw!  :)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:31:06 AM »

Its not the same clock - just the same brand.

All sample rates are not created equally... :-\

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 01:53:07 AM »

tried searching, couldnt find this. Any idea where it is???? Thanks for your input btw!  :)

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,103031.msg1373822.html#msg1373822

Like I said, read it through a bunch of times first (and take some notes too). The first time I tried it, I did the math incorrectly 3 different ways before I figured out where I was misreading a section. Ever since then it's inconvenienced me maybe 5 minutes out of the entire workflow.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 04:54:56 PM »
If you are running UA-5 > optical > H120 in 2 places, you are using the UA-5's clocks.  I've had good experience doing that, generally they are so close I don't need to shrink or stretch, just align.  Temperature could be a factor.  If one is in a hot bag, and the other on a cool bench, that could make the clocks differ.

To page's point, I find my MR-1 is the one with the drifty clock, and it's not linear.

There are a bunch of different ways to stretch/shrink one.  My suggestion is this:
- align the front, see how much they are off at the back (maybe like .300 seconds), and you want to shrink the bottom one.
- Then in Audacity, highlight that track and click "Effect -> Change Tempo".
- At the bottom of the screen it says "Length (seconds) from xxx.xx to xxx.xx".  Let's say it's 5000.00 seconds.  If you want it shorter by 0.3, change the right box to 4999.70
- Hit OK and let it churn.  Go line up the front again if necessary, and see how the back lines up.
- If you don't like it, edit -> Undo (twice) and repeat with a little different number.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
One more thought... iRivers running optical in from the UA-5... if you have a flakey optical cable, you will get "skips" in time.    In other words there is a little bit of music missing.  On some other recorders you will get a drop out, or "dead air", but with an H120, it just won't write what it didn't understand, and it will just pick up where it can, and you have no freakin idea how much is missing.  I've had recordings with a fraction of a second missing, and I've had recordings with minutes missing.

The point being if you have one of these, you will drive yourself crazy trying to fix it.  The only fix would be to find those skips and insert dead air for the right amount of time.  Unless you found the missing Nixon tapes, it's not worth the effort.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

runonce

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
One more thought... iRivers running optical in from the UA-5... if you have a flakey optical cable, you will get "skips" in time.    In other words there is a little bit of music missing.  On some other recorders you will get a drop out, or "dead air", but with an H120, it just won't write what it didn't understand, and it will just pick up where it can, and you have no freakin idea how much is missing.  I've had recordings with a fraction of a second missing, and I've had recordings with minutes missing.

The point being if you have one of these, you will drive yourself crazy trying to fix it.  The only fix would be to find those skips and insert dead air for the right amount of time.  Unless you found the missing Nixon tapes, it's not worth the effort.

^^^Very true...

I have had clock synced sources...that when you try to align - after some point, they will =suddenly= go out of sync...not drift, its very abrupt...

Took me a while to figure what was happening...and figure out where the samples were dropped.

Each source sounded fine on its own...the dropped samples werent noticeable to the ear...only when you tried to sync up.

I think I resorted to: sync, then export to the unsync point...resync, and then export the rest...seems like I had to do this a few times to get the whole show straightened out.

And it did turn out that I had a bad optical cable...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »
So, would yinz recommend dropping the iRiver and getting a Sony D50? You could move to 24bit AND get a more reputable recorder/bit dump, both at the same time ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

runonce

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 12:13:45 AM »
So, would yinz recommend dropping the iRiver and getting a Sony D50? You could move to 24bit AND get a more reputable recorder/bit dump, both at the same time ;)

Hey thats y'uns out here in south central my PA brother! ;D

And for sure - matrixing 16 bit sources is for the birds...thats why I roll OTF.

When your serious about multi-tracking you need those extra bits!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 12:31:14 AM »

And for sure - matrixing 16 bit sources is for the birds...thats why I roll OTF.

What does OTF mean ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

runonce

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:59:37 AM »

What does OTF mean ???

On
The
Fly

;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.164 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com