Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nice Can! What cans are you using?  (Read 9456 times)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Nice Can! What cans are you using?
« on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:32 AM »

Couple of personal questions:
1) Just wondering what everyone is using these days?
2) Also was wondering if you all have multiple different pairs  for different purposes?
For example if you use a pair at the show (for monitoring) do you have yet another pair to at home (for post work, mixing, general playback
3)  What are the three most important characteristics you check off before you purchase?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

My answers are:
1) Sony MDR-V6  OLD SCHOOL
2) This is the only pair I use regularly, (casual and critical listening)
3) The very first two things that I check off in my head after physically having a pair in my presence are durability.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Nice Can! What cans are you using?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:43:22 AM »
1) Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 SV, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
2) ATs are for monitoring during recording, Beyers for playback/listening
3) Audio quality, Comfort, Durability

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
1) Denon D7000 (markl-moded and recupped)
2) Just the Denons for home listening. Used to have a set of Westone UM3X w/ custom tips for monitoring or listening in noisy environments, but I sold those.
3) Generally in order starting with most important; Speaker-like tonal balance (bonus points for a flatter response), micro detail reproduction, liquidity of sound (which eliminates most Sennheisers), comfort, meshs well with the rest of my playback gear (impedance hiss, amp requirements, etc).

If I didn't have the Denon's I'd get a pair of Audeze LCD-2 or a set of Stax.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:10:07 AM »
1) BeyerDynamic DT-880 PRO
2) This is the only pair I use (used for some mastering tasks or latenight listening so I don't bug my neighbors)
3) Audio Quality, Comfort, Durability
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
Senn HD650 (circumaural) -home use, recreational listening, critical listening checks, post work: zero isolation, great sound, high Z.

Etymotic ER4S (in ear, w/foam plug mod for max islolation & bass) -for use requiring isolation and small portability (like location monitoring): excellent passive isolation & very good sound, lean bass, foams makes it a PITA to put them in and out frequently, high Z.

Audio Technica ATH-ANC3 (in-ear) -kept in my office for occasional day use, travel phones: active cancellation isolation, acceptable sound, not particularly flat response, quick easy in-out, low Z. (The active noise cancellation works very well. I was hoping it would work to cancel deep bass for show monitoring when used with foam plugs.  Results were really promising with very flat attenuation, but the cancellation circuit doesn't have enough headroom and clips for situations where it is really needed)

Sony MDR-V6 (circumaural) -home recoridng moitoring when isolation is required, my old go-to phones: 20+ years old with major wear on these, decent isolation, decent sound, workhourse phones.

For the record, I've not been a fan of the Grado or AKG sound as they seem too hot in the midrange or low trebble and not flat enough for my hearing response.  Never tried Denons or Beyers, love to have a set of Stax, my ultimate non-portable would be the Smyth Realizer system which includes entry level Stax.  Was personally HRTF calibrated by the developer and it blew my mind, indistinguishable from speaker sourced music in the calibration room.

Important  considerations: sound quality (flat response for my ears, detail; if open phones then also apparent depth, stage, extension, dynamics, etc), comfort, cost, specific use considerations (best isolation for monitoring, easy in-out if required, best sound quality for home phones).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »
1.) Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Westone 2
2.) I don't use anything at the show.  ATs for mastering, Westones for portable listening.  I would never use cans at a show; IEMs all the way (if I were to use anything).
3.) Sound quality, comfort, durability
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »
1) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
2) Home use only. Portables are a pair of Koss Portapro used with my MP3 player.
3) Audio quality, Comfort, Durability

I love a good set of cans.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:24:35 PM by Belexes »
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
For the record, I've not been a fan of the Grado or AKG sound as they seem too hot in the midrange or low trebble and not flat enough for my hearing response.  Never tried Denons or Beyers, love to have a set of Stax,

The Denons, Beyers, and Senns are all darker then the AKGs and Grados (which I don't like, not enough stuff under 400hz to be realistic without a dark amp driving them)

There is something in the upper registers with Sennheiser's house sound that does me in. The best I can explain it is in the 5-8khz range when you hear a hi-hat, it's like there is a touch of sand that is rolling around in it. I notice it on both the HD600s and 650s, but it's almost completely gone in the HD800s (which has a peak around 6k or so that I don't like). That's the liquid remark I made.

my ultimate non-portable would be the Smyth Realizer system which includes entry level Stax.  Was personally HRTF calibrated by the developer and it blew my mind, indistinguishable from speaker sourced music in the calibration room.

I remember you posting about that. I lust after that, and baring that, an SPL Phonitor if I weren't going the Stax route.

Btw, if anyone gets a chance and is interested in what a bunch of headphones sound like, I recommend finding the next head-fi meet-up in your area and showing up. It's the easiest way to take a bit of material that you know extremely well and run it through a bunch of headphones in one sitting to make notes about what you prefer and why.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »
I have 2 sets of cans now.

1) Grado SR80's (need some loving...loose connection in the cable). Love them to death. Couldn't believe a $100 set of headphones could sound sooooo goood. Sometimes it would be nice if they weren't an open air design.
2) Senn. HD280Pro. Don't like the sound quite as much as the Grado's but I can really crank them without pissing anyone off. They are a little uncomfortable for long periods though.

Also have the Etymotic e6i and mc5's for when I'm on the go. Both are really nice. Really nice when you're in a noisy environment like an airplane.

Plan on picking up the Beyer DT 990's soon. Tried them in NYC a few months ago and loved them.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »
What's the deal with open and closed? I have never really researched headphones or anything. Can someone give me a quick what when why with open and closed?
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »
With open people will be easily be able to hear what you're listening to. I'm somewhat limited with experience between the two types, but from that limited experience I like open cans better.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
I have 3 sets that get regular use:

iGrado - for work. Our cubes are far enough away that the open design is OK, and that lets me hear when someone is talking to me.
Etymotic ER6 - for travel. Fitted with my musicians ear plugs for a custom fit.
Sony MDR-V6 - for general home use.

Offline absnj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »
Any suggestions on Beyer DT770 vs. DT880?  If I am driving them with my PC for mastering, do I need the 32 ohm version?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
Grado SR80's Love them to death.

If you liked those, consider the Alessandro MS-1. Same sound signature but most who try both prefer it. A small company in NYC uses the drivers out of the SR80 as their starting point.

I tried a pair once. I can understand why folks like the Grado sound, but it wasn't for me.

Also have the Etymotic e6i and mc5's for when I'm on the go. Both are really nice. Really nice when you're in a noisy environment like an airplane.

I had the ER6 for years, I thought they sounded great behind a tube amp that had slightly dark tubes.

Any suggestions on Beyer DT770 vs. DT880?  If I am driving them with my PC for mastering, do I need the 32 ohm version?

yes, you probably want the lowest ohm you can get if you're not using a headphone amp (depending on the ohm output of your soundcard).

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »
1) Just wondering what everyone is using these days?
Audio Technica ATH-M50, Westone 3, Shure E3C
2) Also was wondering if you all have multiple different pairs  for different purposes?
AT's for mastering, Westones for on-the-go listening, Shures really as a backup and for monitoring at show (a practice I find useless 90% of the time, other than to just be sure everything is actually working...)
For example if you use a pair at the show (for monitoring) do you have yet another pair to at home (for post work, mixing, general playback
3)  What are the three most important characteristics you check off before you purchase?           
Sound quality, price, recommendations on TS.com(!)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com