Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Took a break, but back now. Seeking current info...  (Read 9673 times)

Offline Riverside Reptiles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Took a break, but back now. Seeking current info...
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:50:07 PM »
Took a break from the hobby about ten years ago. Want to get set up for some smaller stealth shows again. When I left the scene, DAT was still the standard. I assume that most everyone is using stealthy little digital recorders now. My biggest question to start with is, are people using their android/iphones for recording now? And if so, can someone point me to some threads that I can read about it??? And if not, what IS the current "standard" stealth set up these days?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: Took a break, but back now. Seeking current info...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
Took a break from the hobby about ten years ago. Want to get set up for some smaller stealth shows again. When I left the scene, DAT was still the standard. I assume that most everyone is using stealthy little digital recorders now. My biggest question to start with is, are people using their android/iphones for recording now? And if so, can someone point me to some threads that I can read about it??? And if not, what IS the current "standard" stealth set up these days?

Size, quality, and reliability the Sony PCM-M10 is very popular, retails for $220 or so in the US. 15 hours on 2AA batteries, quiet preamps and it's only a bit bigger than an iPhone. The quality of the input circuitry on phones isn't up to our standards. In addition, the Zoom line is popular amoung newbies, but tapers with experience stay away as they have been plagued with noisy inputs, preamps, and just aren't built as well.

Power to the mics, the one limitation of the small recorders is they don't put out much voltage for plug-in power. You will need an external battery box or preamp.

Mics, well it depends on your budget. Church Audio CA-14s with a battery box run under $200, Countryman B3 for a very small omni is popular. I'm sure others will chime in with DPA and Schoeps opinions for higher budgets.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
Thanks for the info. I had kind of assumed that about the input circuity on smart phones. I guess that I had hoped that someone might have started doing some sort of mod or something. It just seems like such a natural thing to stealth with since you pretty much always have your phone with you and Android being an open source OS seems like you could make some pretty awesome recording software to run on it as well. I wonder, are tablets set up with any  better input than smart phones? That PCM-M10 looks like a nice device, and at $200 isn't going to break the bank. But in the long run, I'd really like to have less devices to carry around rather than more. I guess we're just not there quite yet. Thanks again for the info!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 03:22:04 PM »
Yeah, and I wish my phone was my car was my shoe was my refrigerator was my morning coffee.  Lots less devices to carry.   ::)

iPhones are diluting the quality of recordings at an exponential rate.  BLEH, feh... :P
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »
You make it sound as if it's some sort of impossible feat. Perhaps newbies recording with iphones as they currently are may well be putting some crappy recordings out there. But that doesn't mean that down the road things won't change. And there has always been people recording with sub par devices. You'll always have some people who take their recording more seriously than others and some budgets that are bigger than others. I'm not worried so much about the monetary end of things. I've had $2k rigs and I've had $200 rigs in the past. But after 20+ years of the hobby I got burned out on the hassles. And one of the bigger hassles was dragging around a bunch of gear. Now, after having taken a break, I'm looking to build something that'll sound decent, and be easy to stealth with at the smaller shows that I tend to go to these days. So the idea of being able to use a smart phone is appealing. If the technology isn't there yet, so be it. That's why I was asking.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
Dude, what I'm telling you is you are definitely trying to PREACH to the WRONG CHOIR around this community.

If you really have been in this hobby for 20+ years, 20+ seconds of listening to a iFag recording (yes, I said iFag,,,hey,we need a  :zoomie1: for that, mods) will tell you everything you need to know.

Manufacturers of these things are trying their best to NOT make them good audio recorders, in my experience and humble opinion.  Every new generation of them is made more incompatible for our needs.....evidenced by the recent move made to remove analog in/outs from the 30-pin connector.

There is a wealth of knowledge among the members of this community about small, high quality recording rigs, and in the archive contained here.  Google is your friend, but taperssection is your best buddy.

Sincerely,
capn

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »
You make it sound as if it's some sort of impossible feat. Perhaps newbies recording with iphones as they currently are may well be putting some crappy recordings out there. But that doesn't mean that down the road things won't change. And there has always been people recording with sub par devices. You'll always have some people who take their recording more seriously than others and some budgets that are bigger than others. I'm not worried so much about the monetary end of things. I've had $2k rigs and I've had $200 rigs in the past. But after 20+ years of the hobby I got burned out on the hassles. And one of the bigger hassles was dragging around a bunch of gear. Now, after having taken a break, I'm looking to build something that'll sound decent, and be easy to stealth with at the smaller shows that I tend to go to these days. So the idea of being able to use a smart phone is appealing. If the technology isn't there yet, so be it. That's why I was asking.

You can tape a show with your iPhone:  http://tascam.com/product/im2/  Just like you could have taped with CSBs > minidisc... 

The results may be tolerable, but you'll get better results with a nice Sony M10 and a nicer mic/preamp... 

I'm of the opinion that its worth the extra money to invest in something that will produce better results more consistently...  But if you are  >:D then you may not want to lug around all the crap... 

There are several Phil tapes on BT.ETREE if you want to check them out  (http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=554936).  They were taped with the Tascam > iPod...  I also recommend looking through Archive.org and finding some tapes made with Church Audio mics, etc... 

Welcome back!!!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
Thanks for the welcome back Terry. My last rig was JW mod c460s > V2 > todd-mod sbm-1 > D8. And although I made a lot of great recordings with it, between the rig, the stand, the caps, the cables, the gear, etc., having to lug it all around, set it up and break down, etc...it just became too consuming for me and started taking away from the fun of just going to a show and chilling out. Now I basically just want a rig for the smaller more local gigs that I go to that don't get recorded by anyone. That little sony recorder looks nice and I'll probably just go with that. But like I said, I was in hopes that smart phones had evolved enough to do the job. Especially since they're being geared more and more towards being part of societies overall audio/video experience. So many people now plug their phones into everything from their car stereos, to home stereo, and tv for video. You would think that the quality of the audio/video aspects would be increasing, not decreasing.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 06:02:51 PM »
The output might be adequate, but the input side of things is weak.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 06:10:32 PM »
Since those tiny (relative to past generation equipment) idevices are being geared more and more towards being part of societies overall audio/video experience they have to give up something to get all the "features" into that small size and I'm afraid what has been given up is audio quality. MP3 is fine for the vast majority of society but not for us. Maybe sometime in the future you'll be able to get JW mod c460s > V2 > todd-mod sbm-1 > D8 quality in a smart phone but for now if you want something comparable look for Church Audio mics if on a budget, DPAs or several other better brands if budget isn't your primary consideration, and one of the smaller recorders. The Sony M10 is highly regarded around here. Several other brands and models have threads devoted to them but the Sony seems to be the de facto choice. Now if someone would only make a great, reliable, inexpensive bit-bucket lots of us would be very happy.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »
Now if someone would only make a great, reliable, inexpensive bit-bucket lots of us would be very happy.

:smash:  Hear, hear....could not agree more, flipp

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=633431&subid=277970

I heard a recording made with similar device + iphone + good external mics (it was Cat Power show somewhere in Japan) and i remember it was pretty enjoyable. Sound was a bit hissy, but not too much.

But I use pcm-m10. ;-)
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
Thanks for the welcome back Terry. My last rig was JW mod c460s > V2 > todd-mod sbm-1 > D8. And although I made a lot of great recordings with it, between the rig, the stand, the caps, the cables, the gear, etc., having to lug it all around, set it up and break down, etc...it just became too consuming for me and started taking away from the fun of just going to a show and chilling out. Now I basically just want a rig for the smaller more local gigs that I go to that don't get recorded by anyone. That little sony recorder looks nice and I'll probably just go with that. But like I said, I was in hopes that smart phones had evolved enough to do the job. Especially since they're being geared more and more towards being part of societies overall audio/video experience. So many people now plug their phones into everything from their car stereos, to home stereo, and tv for video. You would think that the quality of the audio/video aspects would be increasing, not decreasing.

You obviously are an experienced taper - meaning you not only like making good recordings, but you know how.

Nobody here will endorse the idea that an iPhone or a phone and the various crap people plug into them as "mics" will make a good recording- they're all pretty bad.

BUT I think you asked a different question.  I don't see, personally, why one couldn't make software that could allow you to use the phone properly as merely the recorder, plugged into a decent set of mics. In fact, I believe some of the stuff out there already allows you to put a true line-level input into the iPhone. I think the limitation you'd see is that these phones are already doing too much at once, and most of it not well.  My iPhone is an amazing piece of technology, but it's basically a shitty camera, a shitty phone, a shitty GPS, a shitty web browser, and a shitty game machine all in one. The fact that it does all of that is great, but I would never want to rely on this thing to do anything right. Eventually I could see phones that ran with enough stability and that had enough RAM that they could take in audio, but they're not there yet.

If you just want to kind of ease back in (famous last words from the guy who owned his old CSBs and an R-09HR back in 2009 and now owns $10k worth of gear), go with something nice and easy like the M10, Countryman B3s or Church Audio CA-14s, and have fun.  That rig won't cost you more than $400 total and it'll make way better tapes than the stuff you could stealth with in the 90s.

Welcome back!
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »

There a few really nice all-in-one units out there now.  I have a Tascam HD-P2, which is the upgrade of the old DA-P1.  It is pretty much the same unit, except now it records to a compact flash card instead of a DAT.  Marantz makes a similar unit, but if you were to think about this route, I would suggest the Marantz PMD-661.  It is about the size of your hand, records 24/96, has a digital SPDIF input if you ever want to add an outboard digital preamp>ADC like a V3, and records to SD Card.  Just plug in your typical condenser mics and you're set...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=594741&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Of course, it is much more expensive than the M10, but it offers more features...  If you think you might want to add on a V3 or similar later, this may more suit your needs...  YMMV, just something else to think about... 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 10:05:29 PM »
Welcome back to the monkey house, Riverside.

I agree. A smart phone with a nice-sounding analog front-end would be the stealthers dream. I doubt it will happen any time soon. Let's face it, if we did a Venn diagram of the wants/needs of the average smart phone user, and pro-sumer or pro-audio population the two probably wouldn't even meet. Hell, there's plenty of us on here that drool over the idea of a PCM-M10 sized device capable of accepting a SPDIF input. Still waiting for that to happen, but it probably won't.

But for now, the PCM-M10 is where it's at as far as a pocket-able recording device for James Bond recording sessions.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com