Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Took a break, but back now. Seeking current info...  (Read 9674 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Took a break, but back now. Seeking current info...
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »
NOTE:  Specs for DR100MKii state that unit is SPDIF compatible, no AES.

Mini-me > DR100MKii
Locks on all SPDIF settings
Locks on 16/44.1 AES setting only

Mytek Stereo192 > DR100MKii
Does not lock on any SPDIF settings (although some have reported it locking at 44.1)
Does not lock on any AES settings

Note: Mytek also will not lock on Sony D50 digital input, ToddR provides explanation of the basic issue with the Mytek in this post:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153273.msg1943191#msg1943191

Sound Devices USBPre2 > DR100MKii
Locks on all SPDIF settings
Locks on 16/44.1 AES only, does not lock on any other AES settings

Sound Devices MixPreD > DR100MKii (Specs say that it has AES only, no SPDIF)
Does not lock on any SPDIF settings

Grace V3 > DR100MKii
?

Benchmark AD2K > DR100MKii
?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 03:54:19 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline JackoRoses

• Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
No Flipp my post wasn't directed at you at all.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 08:00:22 PM »
I guess google and the sites search feature is broke.
Come in play stupid and ask what the very question this site has been compiling data on
for what 10 years plus?

Sit back and listen, let the adults talk, please.
go sit and spin your fucking silver platter trustafuckarian.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
NOTE:  Specs for DR100MKii state that unit is SPDIF compatible, no AES.
Sound Devices MixPreD > DR100MKii (Specs say that it has AES only, no SPDIF)
Does not lock on any SPDIF settings

Regarding the MixPreD this is quoted from the manual...

"Master Outputs/AES Output:  Balanced AES3 Out on Right XLR connector, 110 ohm, 2 V p-p, AES3 and S/PDIF compatible with RCA adaptor."

I am interpolating that as it should be compatible with S/PDIF using an RCA adaptor as stated, but I'm not aware if anyone has actually tried it with a S/PDIF recorder.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:20:38 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
I agree. A smart phone with a nice-sounding analog front-end would be the stealthers dream. I doubt it will happen any time soon. Let's face it, if we did a Venn diagram of the wants/needs of the average smart phone user, and pro-sumer or pro-audio population the two probably wouldn't even meet.
I feel like this is a topic for a new thread, but isn't it really up to the makers of USB controlled preamps to release control software that can run on smartphones? The first on this bandwagon would sell a few units. iPhone already has multitrack recording software AFAIK (I still have a regular cell phone) so why are we not able to be making awesome multitrack recordings with phones? I would certainly join the modern age if I could also replace my recorder by buying a phone. And an SPDIF input device could be tiny and inexpensive to make.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
My last rig was JW mod c460s > V2 > todd-mod sbm-1 > D8. And although I made a lot of great recordings with it, between the rig, the stand, the caps, the cables, the gear, etc., having to lug it all around, set it up and break down, etc...it just became too consuming for me and started taking away from the fun of just going to a show and chilling out.

I ran the same rig less the JW mod on the 460's, and I agree it was a great combo for its time. Technology has gotten better since those days though and you can get similar (and often times better) results with much less money spent and less equipment...with the mics still probably consuming the majority of the expense.

And I hear you about setup and tear down, but at the end of the day when you make a great recording and listen to it for the rest of your life then I personally think it is all worth it in the end.

Welcome back to the obsession that is recording live music.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com