Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping 1st show tomorrow  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Vally1978

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
taping 1st show tomorrow
« on: October 06, 2004, 10:10:51 PM »
I've been trying to get myself aquainted with my minidisc player because I am taping my first show tomorrow.  So far it seems I should set the mic to Low sensitivity, but what aout record volume?  It is going to be at a lounge and not very load I don't think, but I am unsure.  Should I do manual or automatic rec volume?

Anything else I should know?

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: taping 1st show tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 10:42:29 PM »
If you can avoid mic-in you should do so. If you have a battery box for your mic, or if it is self powered you should go line-in.

The mic pre in most (99.9%) md recorders stink, and will overload very easily.
Line in will get you much better results.

What mics are you using?

What md recorder?

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 10:48:54 PM »
Hey, I think I saw that you recorded a show recently at The Paradise Lounge?  That is where I am going to do this show.  I am recording with a Sony MZ-R900, and my mic is not that great, I don't even think its a certain brand.  I got it on ebay. I will be buying a better one before Springtime when I plan on taping a few shows.  This is really just practice to get used to this recorder. 

So I can use line in instead of mic in?  My battery box will not get to me in time, grrr!  Kinda POed about thast, but that is what I get for using ebay.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 10:53:48 PM »
I'm at the paradise alot.

What show are you going to tape?

The mic will need power, so it's mic in or batt box unfortunately. Just keep the levels low so you don't clip it.

I'm not a big fan of the button layout on the x00 sony md's but you've got the best of the bunch. The 500 doesn't even have a line in.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:04:54 PM »
I am going to see Butterfly Boucher.  She opened for Sarah McLachlan and was quite good, so I am goin to see her tomorrow...  :)

I am not expecting anything great from taping this first show.  It'll be interesting to see what it sounds like after.  :)

I have no idea how to get the recording to CD-R though, or well first....how to get it to my computer.

Offline Brian_CT

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 11:55:36 PM »
If you can't adjust recording levels on-the-fly (most Sony's are like this) I'd set it to about half of the maximum. Definitely use low sensitivity.

I'm sending you a PM soon about the Sarah show you wanted.

-Brian

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 12:02:25 AM »
You can get the show on your computer using your line out of your minidisc into a line in on your soundcard. You'll also need SoundForge or a similar program. It's not the "best" way to do it, but where it looks like you're just starting out, it's the cheapest. You'll record it as one long wav file, then you'll need to track it (divide the long wav file into individual wav files) then you can just burn them as you would any other cd. A good program for splitting tracks is CDWav Editor.
  By the way this is an addicting hobby, so I hope you have a fat wallet, um purse. Good luck and +T for recording you 1st show.
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 12:23:11 AM »
valley, have a good time at butterfly, she's great.  hope your taped turns out well.  remember fresh batteries, ample media, and going to the bathroom before the show.

good luck

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 08:31:19 AM »
thanks guys!

One more questions....I do need to buy a soundcard right?  I saw them in the store the other day and I can just get an external one, right? 

Offline owen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team AKG,
    • The Fog That Surrounds Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 08:42:58 AM »
Good luck tapeing your first
Soundcard i guess that depends on how good of one you already have ;)

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 09:41:07 PM »
One more questions....I do need to buy a soundcard right?  I saw them in the store the other day and I can just get an external one, right? 

If you do not already have a sound card, then you'll definitely need to buy one.  If you do have a sound card, then the question is: how good is it?

Personally, I have never had very good results with internal sound cards- granted, they've all been Creative low-to-mid-range cards, and I've not tried the more expensive versions.  I do have a USB (external) Creative SB Extigy and a portable USB SoundBlaster MP3+ that I carry with me for the laptop.  The problem I've had with internal sound cards is that, particularly when recording 'mic in,' they tend to be veyr noisy, picking up interference from other PC components.  (Laptops are really bad for this - the built-in card on my laptop will introduce this nice little beep every time the HDD is accessed, making for a very effective "heartbeat monitor" in the background when recording...)

So, while I can only say that I haven't had any noticeable noise issues with the Extigy, you can probably find other sound card recommendations on the forum here from the more 'expert' among us. 

Offline Vally1978

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 11:20:58 PM »
Well, I recorded my first show.  The place was really small, and it was VERY loud in there.  My lil' mic didn't like the bass.  I didn't have bass roll-off.  Other then that I am really happy that I recorded it.  While it may not be listenable for others, I love it! 

Can computer software programs fix the bass overload? 

Now what?  What do I need to do to get it to my computer.  What will I need to buy to make the connection from the MD to the computer. 

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 11:34:50 PM »
Well, I recorded my first show.  The place was really small, and it was VERY loud in there.  My lil' mic didn't like the bass.  I didn't have bass roll-off.  Other then that I am really happy that I recorded it.  While it may not be listenable for others, I love it! 

Whether or not the bass "overload" could be fixed with bass roll-off, or whether you needed an actual battery box, may be a matter for debate.  Generally speaking, for loud shows, you NEED a battery box, period -- or so I've been told. 

Can computer software programs fix the bass overload? 
Maybe.  You can try equalizing with Gold Wave or Sound Forge or something similar (i.e. drop the lowest frequencies a bit), BUT if the mic or the pre-amp in the recorder was overloaded, it's still not going to sound great.  (If you need more specific instructions, PM me.) 

Now what?  What do I need to do to get it to my computer.  What will I need to buy to make the connection from the MD to the computer. 

Do you not have a sound card at all?  No speakers, nothing?

edit: fixed mucked up quotes - that's all.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 01:22:53 AM by tibbsa »

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 11:38:20 PM »
I've been trying to get myself aquainted with my minidisc player because I am taping my first show tomorrow.  So far it seems I should set the mic to Low sensitivity, but what aout record volume?  It is going to be at a lounge and not very load I don't think, but I am unsure.  Should I do manual or automatic rec volume?

Anything else I should know?

i didn't see anyone respond to the volume ?  which way did you go?  if you used auto you'll probly find your levels are lower than you would've liked. personaly, i don't like a machine makeing desissions for me,

kirk
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.241 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com