Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24bit mastering...worth it? maybe not?  (Read 9400 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: 24bit mastering...worth it? maybe not?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2004, 07:57:12 AM »
of course the quality is only as good as the weakest link in the signal chain.
dat is not 24 bit,  cd is not 24 bit.

dale  long run audio

this is no longer true though.
for example.  you can have a 16bit source that is improved down the chain due to digital processing (up-dithered, upsamples), which then improves your weak link.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2004, 09:43:43 AM »
I'm confident that for $700 I can put together a digital front end that will play 16bit audio to such a degree that it is virtualy impossible to distinguish from 24bit masters through the same gear.
To me..that is makes far more sence than worrying about 24bit recorders and high-end DVD-Audio players.

Im wondering if you expand on a $700 system...for those of us on tight budgets...I would be very interested in hearing what you could put togethor for sub $1000.  I know you have had chances to listen to alot of systems and compare..so I think your opinion would be very beneficial to others, esp. me in my situation.  would this 700$ include speakers, or is this just a playback system without speakers.  I can read about speakers in other threads if they arent included in your quote.  Thanx. 

btw...VERY interesting discussion....Its amazing what I learn reading this crazy...ADDICTIVE...forum....great work guys.

+t to all who have posted thus far..and one more in 12 hrs.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2004, 10:13:47 AM »
I'm confident that for $700 I can put together a digital front end

Im wondering if you expand on a $700 system...for those of us on tight budgets

He's talking about just the transport and the DAC.   Add a sony digital amp and VR4s and your looking at an additional 2300-2700.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2004, 12:05:15 PM »
Sony 2000es digital reciever :  $500
this would be the DAC/PREAMP combo...which you could also run as the entire system and still get unbelieveable sound...limited to a *very over rated* 120wpc.  Probably more like 75wpc in real life sound (as opposed to the printed spec).

Monarchy Audio DIP 48/96 upsampler $250
this digital processor goes in between the transport/source and the sony.  upsamples all incoming digital to 24/96 or 24/48 depending on how you set it up.  Jitter reduction and voltage booster.

no source is included here.  You could use the digi out from a PC or any DVD/CD player. 
W/the monarchy box you could run a PC as a source in another room.  the voltage boost will drive very long cables w/o signal degridation.  Though I dont know how long, or how much of a difference.  This is their claim.

ok, so $750.
find this stuff used, and i'm sure you could put it together for $500.

Now to expand...
toss in another grand for a used amp.  maybe a digital amp like the PSA HCA-2, or Bel Canto Evo 200.1. 
add speakers of your choice .....
viola!

or, stick w/the above and use the Sony as your amp.  Add  a pair of really nice monitors (in the $500 range for used...like the Von Schweikert VR1)...and you have a sytem for just around $1250 (mostly new)...that would image like nothing else anywhere near that price point.  Soundstage would be as wide as yo' mama's ass...and would just dazzle you.

VERY high-end sound for short money.
makes all your 16bit material sound better than you've ever heard it, and would have the magic of taking your 24bit masters and converting them to DSD upon playback for even better sound than raw PCM.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2004, 12:06:24 PM »
I'm confident that for $700 I can put together a digital front end
Im wondering if you expand on a $700 system...for those of us on tight budgets
He's talking about just the transport and the DAC.   Add a sony digital amp and VR4s and your looking at an additional 2300-2700.

:'( :'( :'(  i knew it was WAY to good to be true....uggh....im looking at the sony 3000es...but was hoping to for a "better??" option for my money to go further...

EDIT...thanx nick...thats great...exactly what i was hoping for...+T(in 24 hrs now..)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 12:08:07 PM by razorback »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com