Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What does a SBM-1 really do?  (Read 8953 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
What does a SBM-1 really do?
« on: December 20, 2004, 09:32:06 AM »
I want to look into it but I am not that techiy when it comes to recording stuff... I seea lot of peolpe who tape with a DAT use it and I want to know what the thing is really used for and how you use it?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What does a SBM-1 really do?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 09:41:02 AM »
It's an ADC.  One uses it like any other standalone ADC:  plug cables from preamp into SBM-1, plug SBM-1 into recording device.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 09:56:14 AM »
In case you're not sure about what Brian just wrote, here's a little more detailed info...

Like Brian said, it's an ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter).  It takes the analog signal from a pre-amp, and converts it to a digital signal, which is then recorded by the DAT deck (or whatever digital recorder you are using).  People like to use external, stand-alone ADC's because, generally speaking, they are higher quality than the ADC contained within the DAT deck.

Depechemode1993

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 02:15:13 PM »
thank you +T  ;D ;D

hexyjones

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 09:25:18 PM »
If I'm not mistaken - the SBM-1 is also a mic preamp as well...although many use it just for its A/D section...

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 09:29:51 PM »
If I'm not mistaken - the SBM-1 is also a mic preamp as well...although many use it just for its A/D section...

well it can be used as a preamp if it is given more gain, however unmodded it just takes line level

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 09:34:00 PM »

well it can be used as a preamp if it is given more gain, however unmodded it just takes line level

actually unmodded it will act as a preamp as well.  Doug disables the preamp as I understand it for his mods

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 09:54:50 PM »
how would you rate the internal pre, as opposed to an m1, or a ua5, or one of the high dollar pres? I mean, the D8 has an internal pre too :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 10:00:04 PM »
its responsible for all the shitmapping in a rig  ;D I still miss my modsbm-1
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 10:07:53 PM »
how would you rate the internal pre, as opposed to an m1, or a ua5, or one of the high dollar pres? I mean, the D8 has an internal pre too :P

just making a point my friend :P

hexyjones

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 10:10:47 PM »

Sorry guys - it is most definitley a mic preamp - modded or otherwise...the quarter inch inputs go to the mic pre...and I think it has RCAs for line in...(been a while since I've  used one...)

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 10:12:37 PM »

just making a point my friend :P

oh that wasn't aimed at you... just a general question. I have no freaking idea, I could take a guess but I've been known to be wrong on occasion.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 10:12:53 PM »

Sorry guys - it is most definitley a mic preamp - modded or otherwise...the quarter inch inputs go to the mic pre...and I think it has RCAs for line in...(been a while since I've  used one...)

the 1/4" inputs are disabled by Doug on his modded units though

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 10:14:18 PM »
oh that wasn't aimed at you... just a general question. I have no freaking idea, I could take a guess but I've been known to be wrong on occasion.

I have no idea but have thought about exploring it...would make a nice little stealthing setup if you had MG caps>cables>JK Labs ECMS22 >Mod SBM1..

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 10:16:21 PM »
very nice and stealthy...

hexyjones

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 10:16:50 PM »

Sorry guys - it is most definitley a mic preamp - modded or otherwise...the quarter inch inputs go to the mic pre...and I think it has RCAs for line in...(been a while since I've  used one...)

the 1/4" inputs are disabled by Doug on his modded units though

He offers 4 mods for the SBM-1 - only one disables the mic pre...

I swear - Doug is a genius...charging $250 to make a device do LESS!!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 10:18:03 PM »
He offers 4 mods for the SBM-1 - only one disables the mic pre...

agreed, I was talking about his "line mod" which disables the mic pre...though I know there are at least a couple out there with the mic pres still active....not sure if Doug did that to requested units or if the user got it done "after market" so to speak

Online Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 10:55:08 PM »
doug is not the only one who does mod sbm-1's, and for the record the mod-sbm-1 i have does not have the mic inputs disabled (although i cant think f a time when i would need to use the mic pre's)

doug can keep the mic pre's intact but the sbm-1 will consume more power, and he will even mod the mic pre's if you so desire so it suites your needs

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 11:10:39 PM »

I have no idea but have thought about exploring it...would make a nice little stealthing setup if you had MG caps>cables>JK Labs ECMS22 >Mod SBM1..

just picked up a mod sbm1 and will soon be picking up a jklabs ECMS for my akg's.  been talking to doug and he thinks i will be fine w/ the existing line-stage mod but i may need to have it tweaked once i get everything put together.  we'll see.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Tim

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 11:20:19 PM »
if you have any problems I would just go buy some line transformers... cheap, clean gain. Congrats on the new JKLABS box, I really like Todd's...

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 11:41:36 PM »
if you have any problems I would just go buy some line transformers... cheap, clean gain. Congrats on the new JKLABS box, I really like Todd's...

what would you reccomend?
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2004, 11:43:32 PM »
I think the ones at Rat Shack will do you just fine. I believe that there are some recommended model numbers in the Archive section...

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2004, 12:01:42 AM »
Consider also that Jon/JK has been known to make "custom" boxes other than the ecms box that include adjustable gain (from around zero on up).  If you are considering transformers, you may want to consider a modified JK box as well.  Goddamn the pre on the JK box smokes! Doug O tried to tell me so, full well knowing that I love the m148 and wanted to run JK (no gain)->m148.... 

AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2004, 01:59:35 PM »

One very interesting feature found in the now _dated_ sbm-1 is that Sony made both plus and minus 7 Volts available to the four or so front-end opamps providing the mic and line in gain. I.e., an amply powered dual power rail solution as far as portables go. That translates into 10 dB or so more headroom before brickwalling compared to the oft seen 0 & +5 Volts rails powering most of the "modern" portables.

So I don't think the analog stages within the stock sbm-1 is inferior to other "consumer grade" units in any way.  And it's dated design holds quite a bit of potental as far as upgrades go: new opamps can be selected from a wide range and the dual rail feature allows cleaning up the signal path at large.   

Edited: reformulated for clarity
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 02:21:19 PM by jk labs »

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2004, 02:03:10 PM »

It may do less things, but the adc sounds light years better than the stock version.

Plus, as I think it has been mentioned, I think Doug disables it to conserve power, and he probably assumed (correctly, I believe) that most people use a different source for gain.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

hexyjones

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2004, 02:56:41 PM »

It may do less things, but the adc sounds light years better than the stock version.

Plus, as I think it has been mentioned, I think Doug disables it to conserve power, and he probably assumed (correctly, I believe) that most people use a different source for gain.

I know...I cant resist sarcasm sometimes...

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2004, 03:01:57 PM »

gotcha.  You realize that sarcasm doesn't come across too well over the internet...
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

hexyjones

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2004, 03:06:40 PM »

gotcha.  You realize that sarcasm doesn't come across too well over the internet...

[sarcasm]Really - I'll try to be less sarcastic[/sarcasm]

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2004, 03:12:41 PM »

[sarcasm]Really - I'll try to be less sarcastic[/sarcasm]

See how much better that works :)
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2004, 03:17:54 PM »

Oade line-stage modification SBM-1s use the same ADCs as stock.  The Oade Bros change analog components before the ADC.  They do not change the ADC.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2004, 04:31:55 PM »

Oade line-stage modification SBM-1s use the same ADCs as stock.  The Oade Bros change analog components before the ADC.  They do not change the ADC.

Interesting.  Regardless, the end result is that the sound kicks ass 8)
- Dwight Schrute

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 55 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com