Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hiss from V3>671**Resolved**  (Read 9277 times)

Offline vince

• What goes here?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hiss from V3>671**Resolved**
« on: December 02, 2005, 09:43:26 AM »
Just made my first recording on my new rig of Zilla. The audio from the band is great but there is a distinctive hiss on the recording. I had settings at: 24/44, gain around 35db, I did not have HPF turned on on the V3 or the Microphones, coming S/DIF out with Monster digital cable to Digital-in on 671. I am just playing it back through my computer and headphones
Any guidance or suggestions?

Thanks

Vince
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:48:31 PM by vince »

DPA4061>MMA6000>MT-I 2496
AKG CK91>SE 300 B>opti-V3>Oade BCM PMD671

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Hiss from V3>671
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 12:52:10 PM »
can you playback straight from the 671 to see if the hiss is there?
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 02:49:13 PM »
bad cable?
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 02:51:15 PM »
Just made my first recording on my new rig of Zilla. The audio from the band is great but there is a distinctive hiss on the recording. I had settings at: 24/44, gain around 35db, I did not have HPF turned on on the V3 or the Microphones, coming S/DIF out with Monster digital cable to Digital-in on 671. I am just playing it back through my computer and headphones
Any guidance or suggestions?

Thanks

Vince

You listening to the 24 bit playback or a dithered playback?

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 03:21:04 PM »

Check that - the hiss may be the internal noise from your pc.....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline vince

• What goes here?
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 12:27:21 AM »

when I play back on the 671 it sounds great. when I play from the CF card or trasfer to the Dell D600 laptop it has a lot of noise.
I just recorded another artist last night and have the same problem. I am using adobe Audition. I tracked in cdwave and then burned to cd in audition and cd has all the noise on it. I downloaded the trial version os sound forge 8 and had the same issues....bummin here.
I tried all the same on a different laptop a brand new Dell D610 and it was the same.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 12:32:42 AM »

when I play back on the 671 it sounds great. when I play from the CF card or trasfer to the Dell D600 laptop it has a lot of noise.
I just recorded another artist last night and have the same problem. I am using adobe Audition. I tracked in cdwave and then burned to cd in audition and cd has all the noise on it. I downloaded the trial version os sound forge 8 and had the same issues....bummin here.
I tried all the same on a different laptop a brand new Dell D610 and it was the same.

Do you hear the noise when you are tracking in CDWAV?
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline vince

• What goes here?
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 12:54:50 AM »

Yes it is there in CDWave

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 01:11:07 AM »

Vince, have you had the 671 updated for the new .wav spec yet?  I don't know if you remember it from when we talked, but you need to get the update from marantz in order to be able to transfer 24bit files dirrectly from the card or through USB.  It has to do with where the extra 8bits of information is, marantz listened to microsoft engineers and went with a new spec that hasn't panned out.  If you transfer the data through the coax out the 8 bits of information are shifted into the correct order and you won't have the static issues.  Doug suggested trying to record in .bwf (broadcast wav) format, but it doesn't fix the problem, you need that update or you're stuck doing real-time transfers for 24 bit recordings.

If you've already had the update done try playing the files in winamp.

Also, if you're buring the files to cd, you must convert them to 16 bit. 

If you're still having problems I don't mind giving you a tech support call, just shoot over your # through a PM.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 10:06:52 AM »
how are you doing the 24>16bit conversion?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline vince

• What goes here?
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 01:20:23 PM »

Vince, have you had the 671 updated for the new .wav spec yet?  I don't know if you remember it from when we talked, but you need to get the update from marantz in order to be able to transfer 24bit files dirrectly from the card or through USB.  It has to do with where the extra 8bits of information is, marantz listened to microsoft engineers and went with a new spec that hasn't panned out.  If you transfer the data through the coax out the 8 bits of information are shifted into the correct order and you won't have the static issues.  Doug suggested trying to record in .bwf (broadcast wav) format, but it doesn't fix the problem, you need that update or you're stuck doing real-time transfers for 24 bit recordings.

If you've already had the update done try playing the files in winamp.

Also, if you're buring the files to cd, you must convert them to 16 bit. 

If you're still having problems I don't mind giving you a tech support call, just shoot over your # through a PM.
I did remember the need for an update but had not researched it to see what the symptoms are/were. I will get it out to Marantz and that should fix the issues. I reeeaaally dig the 671 and am getting used to setting it up now.  I remember looking on d-mpro.com for some reference to the update but couldnt find it. Do you have any links to it?

Offline vince

• What goes here?
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 01:22:45 PM »
how are you doing the 24>16bit conversion?

When you burn a CD project in Adobe Audition, it automagically converts it to 16/44.1. I am thinking that Ghengis is right about the update for the file format being the problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Vince

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 02:47:21 PM »
fwiw, im not sure mine has been updated, but i have NOT had this problem transferring 24 bits files via usb.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 06:29:35 PM »
fwiw, im not sure mine has been updated, but i have NOT had this problem transferring 24 bits files via usb.

When did you buy your unit? I bought mine from Doug on June 2nd, perhaps yours was one that came in later.  I think the new file format is .wavE or something like that?
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

zowie

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 10:37:41 AM »

I am just playing it back through my computer and headphones

The hiss you are hearing is generated by the laptops' crappy integrated audio during playback.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 10:41:06 AM by zowie »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com