Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do I need a Battery Box or Preamp?  (Read 9564 times)

Offline IRiver19

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Do I need a Battery Box or Preamp?
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:18:18 PM »
I think I'm going to purchase SP-BMC-12 mics.  I mainly want to record classical concerts and musicals.  I'll never be recording rock concerts or any shows where it would be a smart idea to wear earplugs.  Are these mics good for that?  I listened to cardioids and they sounded tinny so I'd prefer omnis.

Onto the main question.  I have a Sony RH10.  Do I need a preamp or battery box to run line-in.  I'm confused as to whether a preamp can serve as a battery box.  Can I just increase the volume with Cooledit instead of buying a preamp?  I'm on a budget of 200 dollars for the mic/preamp/battery box.  What do you guys recommend?  I've never recorded before so I'm pretty clueless.

CHURCH-AUDIO

Re: Do I need a Battery Box or Preamp?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 11:51:28 PM »

We make a really good set of omni mics and a preamp for $149.99 that will work great for your application PM me for audio samples and details if your interested..

Chris Church
Church Audio

I think I'm going to purchase SP-BMC-12 mics.  I mainly want to record classical concerts and musicals.  I'll never be recording rock concerts or any shows where it would be a smart idea to wear earplugs.  Are these mics good for that?  I listened to cardioids and they sounded tinny so I'd prefer omnis.

Onto the main question.  I have a Sony RH10.  Do I need a preamp or battery box to run line-in.  I'm confused as to whether a preamp can serve as a battery box.  Can I just increase the volume with Cooledit instead of buying a preamp?  I'm on a budget of 200 dollars for the mic/preamp/battery box.  What do you guys recommend?  I've never recorded before so I'm pretty clueless.

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:30:38 PM »
I've recorded several musicals and classical concerts with just the SP-CMC8's, battery box, and D7. Going mic in, I found that even moderate volumes would overload the mic preamp and cause bad distortion. Going line in I found that I did not have sufficient levels so I picked up a lot of ambient noise and left a lot of the dynamics on the table, so to speak.

So, based on my experience, I'd say that you definitely want a preamp. Maybe the built in mic-in preamp on the RH10 may handle things better than my D7, but I doubt it.

I've ordered a Church Audio preamp and am looking forward to trying it out!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 11:20:58 PM »
Do I need a preamp or battery box to run line-in.
a battery box will feed the line in, in loud situations.  in quiet/moderatly loud situations a preamp(w/ 2-11v PIP) is needed to feed the line in.

Can I just increase the volume with Cooledit instead of buying a preamp?
Sure, but it will sound poor because you are adding a ton of noise by doing that.

I'm on a budget of 200 dollars for the mic/preamp/battery box.  What do you guys recommend?  I've never recorded before so I'm pretty clueless.

Church's preamps are nice.  Ive never heard anything about the mics.  Chris should have answered your questions along with his soliciting of gear. 

Have fun taping! 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 08:25:51 AM »
Hi the problem your having is that your overloading the first stage of the built in mic preamp you need to attenuate the signal before it gets to your mic preamp if you have a line input you might want to try an external preamp. I think it would work much better for you application.

Chris Church

I've recorded several musicals and classical concerts with just the SP-CMC8's, battery box, and D7. Going mic in, I found that even moderate volumes would overload the mic preamp and cause bad distortion. Going line in I found that I did not have sufficient levels so I picked up a lot of ambient noise and left a lot of the dynamics on the table, so to speak.

So, based on my experience, I'd say that you definitely want a preamp. Maybe the built in mic-in preamp on the RH10 may handle things better than my D7, but I doubt it.

I've ordered a Church Audio preamp and am looking forward to trying it out!

Offline IRiver19

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 04:29:35 PM »
Thanks for clearing up the difference between a batt box and preamp.  I ordered a Church ST-9000 preamp and his B-99M omnis.  Hopefully I'll get them in a week or so and be able to post some recordings if anyone is interested in hearing how they sound in the hands of a newbie.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 05:15:29 PM »
Hi the problem your having is that your overloading the first stage of the built in mic preamp you need to attenuate the signal before it gets to your mic preamp if you have a line input you might want to try an external preamp. I think it would work much better for you application.

Chris Church

That is NOT true for the new minidiscs!  All you need is *mics + battery box*.  (The older minidiscs had a mic input that was too sensitive.  All newer minidiscs, and some of the old ones, have a "mic sensitivity" setting, so you could avoid overload.)

Here are the rules:
- quiet (nature sounds, regular talking, etc): mic in, hi sensistivity, plug in power if you like
- moderate (acoustic music, or small PA, theatre, spoken word): mic in, low sensitivity, *battery box* recommended
- loud (amplified music or full orchestra): line in, battery box.

In all cases, you're not going to improve the quality much unless you get a very good preamp.  Something like Sound Devices MP2 or similar is recommened.  If you really want it, save up and spend $400 there, and you'll have it for life (1 year in Tapir slut life).

My opinion is that you really only *need* a preamp when you're running quiet to moderate volume, and it is into a device, like NJB3, that doesn't have any good gain on the line input.

Richard
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 05:19:21 PM by poorlyconditioned »
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 06:28:19 PM »
I respectfully disagree my preamp has much less noise then any preamp built into ANY MINIDISC RECORDER. I don't agree with the battery box thing because it forces you to use the gain control on the line input. Where again my preamp has much less self noise then anything built into a mindisc recorder I should know I have one of the best HIMD recorders sony has ever made and its noisey as all hell, for loud situations its not as nessisary. But even in loud situations, if your not getting enough gain and you have to normailize your going to be increasing the noise in recording because you are boosting the noise that is already there. Because you did not use a good preamp!  I would first recomend that a beginner try a battery box but if he or she is still not happy then try a preamp. It does make a difference there is good reason why many guys here use external preamps! and its not for show. Just because my preamp does not cost $400 does not mean it will improve your recordings!

I really do respect you Richard, you know alot about audio / electronics But you also know there is truth to what I am saying.

Chris Church

Chris Church

That is NOT true for the new minidiscs!  All you need is *mics + battery box*.  (The older minidiscs had a mic input that was too sensitive.  All newer minidiscs, and some of the old ones, have a "mic sensitivity" setting, so you could avoid overload.)

Here are the rules:
- quiet (nature sounds, regular talking, etc): mic in, hi sensistivity, plug in power if you like
- moderate (acoustic music, or small PA, theatre, spoken word): mic in, low sensitivity, *battery box* recommended

In all cases, you're not going to improve the quality much unless you get a very good preamp.  Something like Sound Devices MP2 or similar is recommened.  If you really want it, save up and spend $400 there, and you'll have it for life (1 year in Tapir slut life).

My opinion is that you really only *need* a preamp when you're running quiet to moderate volume, and it is into a device, like NJB3, that doesn't have any good gain on the line input.

Richard

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 06:48:17 PM »
I respectfully disagree my preamp has much less noise then any preamp built into ANY MINIDISC RECORDER. I don't agree with the battery box thing because it forces you to use the gain control on the line input. Where again my preamp has much less self noise then anything built into a mindisc recorder I should know I have one of the best HIMD recorders sony has ever made and its noisey as all hell, for loud situations its not as nessisary. But even in loud situations, if your not getting enough gain and you have to normailize your going to be increasing the noise in recording because you are boosting the noise that is already there. Because you did not use a good preamp!  I would first recomend that a beginner try a battery box but if he or she is still not happy then try a preamp. It does make a difference there is good reason why many guys here use external preamps! and its not for show. Just because my preamp does not cost $400 does not mean it will improve your recordings!

I really do respect you Richard, you know alot about audio / electronics But you also know there is truth to what I am saying.

Chris Church

Chris Church

Here are the rules:

Richard

Hmm.  I've made lots of MD recordings over the years, some with mic input and some with line input.  I've never had a problem with noise at all.

The only time I've got noise is for really quiet stuff, and even there, I suspect most of this was microphone self-noise, and not the MD.

Admittedly, I have not really challenged it, but I've recorded a lot of folk/rock shows and never had a problem.  There may be a slight improvement getting a pre and running line in (this avoids the distortion the built in mic pre), but I think a lot more depends on the mics.  I mean those mics have a self noise at 30dBA or something.  The MD has got to be much less than that!

OK, how about I put up a sample recorded with AT853, self-made 3-wire battery box, and mic in (low sens).  I'll try to do this tonight.  Remind me if I forget :).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:17:25 AM »
Hmmmm I think you’re missing the point of my argument. A) My preamp is in fact quieter then the one built into ANY Minidisc recorder B) And it costs as much as MOST people charge for a battery box. I guess that’s got some people upset. But facts are facts, there is a difference, there is less noise in the recording! Thus it’s better to have a preamp that has a better signal to noise ratio then to have one that does not. Also I would love to argue the point of differences of sound quality as I am a sound engineer. But let’s just say that it’s better to get a hot input into any recorder then to ask a crappy built in preamp to amplify the signal. And furthermore its better to NOT to introduce digital attenuation to a signal and to run the line input at 0db not boosting or cutting WHEN EVER POSSIBLE. Ask any real sound engineer like my self they will all say the same thing. Digital attenuation sucks, it’s better to reduce or boost the signal in the analog domain, then to have to quantize the signal even further, adding to the propogational delay and reducing the slew rate of the signal and all that jazz. I could go into in-depth discussion about the facts of audio and using a preamp vs. trying to get gain from a cheap ass md preamp but I would expect you would know the difference, maybe the real problem is my preamp sales are up and your battery box sales are down? I donno, I am not selling snake oil here my preamps do make a difference ask anyone who has one of my new series of preamps, they will all say the same thing it sounds better then just a battery box. Because there is less noise Just because you can not hear the noise does not mean that that noise in the signal is present and does change the way in witch the signal gets digitized. It does everything that is recorded gets converted into 0 / 1 even noise and the very fact that it is there in the signal changes the way the signal is converted. END OF ARGUMENT 

I respect you Richard but, Audio engineering is my life dude. I am not just some guy that makes mics and preamps. I can not spell to save my life and I often do not punctuate my sentences, but I love audio it’s my true passion.

And I have never been into nor will I ever sell something, I don’t think sounds good to my ears. Ps….I do not use Panasonic capsules. 

Chris Church

Chris Church

Chris Church

Here are the rules:

Richard

Hmm.  I've made lots of MD recordings over the years, some with mic input and some with line input.  I've never had a problem with noise at all.

The only time I've got noise is for really quiet stuff, and even there, I suspect most of this was microphone self-noise, and not the MD.

Admittedly, I have not really challenged it, but I've recorded a lot of folk/rock shows and never had a problem.  There may be a slight improvement getting a pre and running line in (this avoids the distortion the built in mic pre), but I think a lot more depends on the mics.  I mean those mics have a self noise at 30dBA or something.  The MD has got to be much less than that!

OK, how about I put up a sample recorded with AT853, self-made 3-wire battery box, and mic in (low sens).  I'll try to do this tonight.  Remind me if I forget :).

Richard

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 12:26:45 AM »
+ T to chris church, you guys flame him for soliciting, but he helps ppl out and this is what TS is all about.

chris, your spelling has come a long way, by the way.

good job on everything.  and im not being a dick at all.

thanks chris, i enjoy your insight to the board.
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 12:40:34 AM »
Hmmmm I think you’re missing the point of my argument. A) My preamp is in fact quieter then the one built into ANY Minidisc recorder B) And it costs as much as MOST people charge for a battery box. I guess that’s got some people upset. But facts are facts, there is a difference, there is less noise in the recording! Thus it’s better to have a preamp that has a better signal to noise ratio then to have one that does not. Also I would love to argue the point of differences of sound quality as I am a sound engineer. But let’s just say that it’s better to get a hot input into any recorder then to ask a crappy built in preamp to amplify the signal. And furthermore its better to NOT to introduce digital attenuation to a signal and to run the line input at 0db not boosting or cutting WHEN EVER POSSIBLE. Ask any real sound engineer like my self they will all say the same thing. Digital attenuation sucks, it’s better to reduce or boost the signal in the analog domain, then to have to quantize the signal even further, adding to the propogational delay and reducing the slew rate of the signal and all that jazz. I could go into in-depth discussion about the facts of audio and using a preamp vs. trying to get gain from a cheap ass md preamp but I would expect you would know the difference, maybe the real problem is my preamp sales are up and your battery box sales are down? I donno, I am not selling snake oil here my preamps do make a difference ask anyone who has one of my new series of preamps, they will all say the same thing it sounds better then just a battery box. Because there is less noise Just because you can not hear the noise does not mean that that noise in the signal is present and does change the way in witch the signal gets digitized. It does everything that is recorded gets converted into 0 / 1 even noise and the very fact that it is there in the signal changes the way the signal is converted. END OF ARGUMENT 

I respect you Richard but, Audio engineering is my life dude. I am not just some guy that makes mics and preamps. I can not spell to save my life and I often do not punctuate my sentences, but I love audio it’s my true passion.

And I have never been into nor will I ever sell something, I don’t think sounds good to my ears. Ps….I do not use Panasonic capsules. 

Chris Church

Dear Chris:

Hey, hold on a minute.  I'm not trying to sell my battery boxes.  And I think your prices are great for preamps, mics, and battery boxes and I wish you all the best in selling them here.  Someone needs to shake stuff up and offer fair prices.

The point I'm trying to make is that IMO the MD preamps are not that bad.  The noise is pretty low, and the distortion is not that bad.  I'll put up some samples later on.  I think, especially for a novice recorder, they are just fine, to get started.  The other thing about MD is most of them have a fair bit of gain *on line input*, so you can even bypass the premp in many cases.  And this is not digitial gain, it is real, analog gain with a very nice user interface.

So, my first recommentation would be:
- for MD, use line in for loud signals, use mic in (low sens) for moderate signals, and adjust the gain at the MD
- for NJB3, Iriver, etc, use an external preamp, like yours
- in  both cases, use a 3-wire battery box.

I'm happy if they buy a three wire battery box, or a three wire battery box + Preamp from you.  That is fine with me.

Believe it or not, I've only sold *one* battery box and *one* set of AT853 mics so far on this list!  I'm trying to sell a second set just now, but in no way are we competing!  I am basically selling off older boxes as I build newer sleeker designs (eg., cutting away the insides of old AT8531 power modules).  And I'm selling mics sometimes 'cause I buy too much stuff on Ebay.

Finally, could you *please* at least space out your writing.  I can hardly read it.

Richard

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 12:51:49 AM »
Thanks for your kind words; when I first came on to this board I saw it as a huge opportunity to sell gear! I did not get the real meaning of this board. I do now, I have tried to sell people gear on here, and I do not try to hide it. I spend more time helping people and not trying to sell. In the process I have learned ALOT from people on this board. There are some very smart people here. I still have many things to learn but, I do not like it when people say you do not need a preamp that a battery box is all you need. To that I say BULLSHIT, if that was all you need I would never have sold over 2,000 preamps world wide in the last 2 and half years. I would be selling BATTERY BOXES, hey they are a hell of allot cheaper to make and there is more profit in them then preamps. I really do care about getting people started into taping, if I did not I could have sold 1000 units for 2X as much as I am charging and end up having to do 50% less work then if  I had to do to build 2000 units.. So yes some people think I am just into making sales but that’s not true, I want people to buy my products, But what is  WAY MORE IMPORTAINT is that people LIKE my products and USE my products. Ask some of the people around here, if I find out they are not happy with one of my products, I want to know why and I offer to fix the problem not just ignore them. I am in this game for the long haul, I will make better mics and better preamps, I am sure as time goes on. Once I stop selling so many, I can come up with some new designs. LOL I really do respect you guys here at TS. I have referred allot of customers to you guys for Help. I think there is not too many boards that have this level respect that this place has. Not to mention the fact that the board is set up properly, and that it’s very well run. I don't even know who runs this board but hey you’re doing one hell of a job. My sales have increased because I feel  I have finally earned some of your respect and for that I am grateful I wish when I would have started on this board that instead of trying to make the hard sale. I spent more time earning the respect I feel I am now being shown by some of the members here. I thank you all for helping me out with my business and with my spelling too!

I know I kind of went off on a tangent there but I had some things to say so I said um

Chris Church

+ T to chris church, you guys flame him for soliciting, but he helps ppl out and this is what TS is all about.

chris, your spelling has come a long way, by the way.

good job on everything.  and im not being a dick at all.

thanks chris, i enjoy your insight to the board.

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 12:53:36 AM »
O K  how   is   that :)

Chris Church

Dear Chris:

Hey, hold on a minute.  I'm not trying to sell my battery boxes.  And I think your prices are great for preamps, mics, and battery boxes and I wish you all the best in selling them here.  Someone needs to shake stuff up and offer fair prices.

The point I'm trying to make is that IMO the MD preamps are not that bad.  The noise is pretty low, and the distortion is not that bad.  I'll put up some samples later on.  I think, especially for a novice recorder, they are just fine, to get started.  The other thing about MD is most of them have a fair bit of gain *on line input*, so you can even bypass the premp in many cases.  And this is not digitial gain, it is real, analog gain with a very nice user interface.

So, my first recommentation would be:
- for MD, use line in for loud signals, use mic in (low sens) for moderate signals, and adjust the gain at the MD
- for NJB3, Iriver, etc, use an external preamp, like yours
- in  both cases, use a 3-wire battery box.

I'm happy if they buy a three wire battery box, or a three wire battery box + Preamp from you.  That is fine with me.

Believe it or not, I've only sold *one* battery box and *one* set of AT853 mics so far on this list!  I'm trying to sell a second set just now, but in no way are we competing!  I am basically selling off older boxes as I build newer sleeker designs (eg., cutting away the insides of old AT8531 power modules).  And I'm selling mics sometimes 'cause I buy too much stuff on Ebay.

Finally, could you *please* at least space out your writing.  I can hardly read it.

Richard

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 12:29:32 PM »
I still have many things to learn but, I do not like it when people say you do not need a preamp that a battery box is all you need. To that I say BULLSHIT

Well, it depends on what you mean by NEED. Especially if you're on a tight budget, a battery box will suffice especially if you're taping loud rock shows. Is a preamp desirable, absolutely. But then, so are DPA 4061's - and while I'd like to think I NEED those, that's just not the case. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 02:16:07 PM »
I still have many things to learn but, I do not like it when people say you do not need a preamp that a battery box is all you need. To that I say BULLSHIT

Well, it depends on what you mean by NEED. Especially if you're on a tight budget, a battery box will suffice especially if you're taping loud rock shows. Is a preamp desirable, absolutely. But then, so are DPA 4061's - and while I'd like to think I NEED those, that's just not the case. :)

I NEED DPA 4061's  ;)

My wife doesn't agree :)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 04:14:33 PM »
OK, as promised, here are some samples with MD, both mic and line in:

HiMD (with 256kbps atrac!), mic in (low sens):
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AT853/at853c_3wire_himd_micin.mp3
This is a small auditorium show, moderate volume.  I am towards the back of the room, so there is quite a bit of "boominess" of the room.

MD (regular MD, 292kbps atrac), line in:
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AT853/at853c_3wire_md_linein.mp3
This is an outdoor festival "beer tent" venue with a pretty loud band and PA.

Both recordings could (probably) be improved with a preamp, or better yet an external ADC+pre, like the UA5.  But my point is that I had plenty of (analog) gain (on mic or line) and did not have noise problems.  In my experience the 3-wire battery box was really critical, especially for the second show.

Richard

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 05:45:49 PM »
Hi Richard in order for the recordings to actually be of any use, you would have to have a pair of matched mics in the same venue at the same relative position. Giving two different shows at different venues is not really a fair comparison besides I am correct so the point is MOOT. :)
But I will offer this one point you do not NEED a preamp a battery box will get you by in most cases. But at the price some of my preamps sell for your average user might be better off buying a preamp instead of a battery box. I am still correct though lol.

Chris Church

This is a small auditorium show, moderate volume.  I am towards the back of the room, so there is quite a bit of "boominess" of the room.

Both recordings could (probably) be improved with a preamp, or better yet an external ADC+pre, like the UA5.  But my point is that I had plenty of (analog) gain (on mic or line) and did not have noise problems.  In my experience the 3-wire battery box was really critical, especially for the second show.

Richard

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 05:55:02 PM »
Hi Richard in order for the recordings to actually be of any use, you would have to have a pair of matched mics in the same venue at the same relative position. Giving two different shows at different venues is not really a fair comparison besides I am correct so the point is MOOT. :)
But I will offer this one point you do not NEED a preamp a battery box will get you by in most cases. But at the price some of my preamps sell for your average user might be better off buying a preamp instead of a battery box. I am still correct though lol.

Chris Church

Richard

Yeah, I agree, it is hard to compare.

I was just trying to say that because MD has a serviceable preamp and nice gain control on line in and mic in, you can get by quite well without a preamp.  A preamp is essential where you don't have any (analog) gain on line in, or where the preamp is really questionable (iRiver).

The second reason for putting up these samples is to show what is possible using just the MD.  IMO these are a lot nicer sounding than what a lot of people are getting with a NJB3 line in and a standard (2-wire) battery box, which is what a lot of people are using.

So, you should sell both battery boxes and preamps, but make them all 3-wire :)

Richard

Offline rdflash

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 06:02:12 PM »
While we are on the subject.

Sound Professional Battery Boxes are 2 wire, right?

Chris, are yours 2 or 3 wire?

Richard and Chris do either of you offer bass rolloff?

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 06:07:03 PM »

Soundpros are all 2-wire.

Chris offers both 2 and 3 wire.  Ask him for 3-wire.

I'm not planning on make any more right now, but ask Chris and he'll set you up!

I don't make anything except the plain box.  Ask Chris if he'll do bass rolloff or level controls.  Or, better yet, get is pre+ batt. box.

Richard

Offline rdflash

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 07:17:55 PM »

I'm not planning on make any more right now, but ask Chris and he'll set you up!

I don't make anything except the plain box.  Ask Chris if he'll do bass rolloff or level controls.  Or, better yet, get is pre+ batt. box.

Richard

I have a Sound Pro w/ bass rolloff, I was just wondering.

thanks for help + T

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »

Richard

I have a Sound Pro w/ bass rolloff, I was just wondering.

thanks for help + T

Also, if you decide to go three-wire, send your mics back to Soundprofessionals and get the "phantom power mod".  I think it is like $79 for him to put miniXLR connectors on each mic, make a dual-miniXLR to mini-3.5mm plug, and supply two Samson phantom adapters.  That is a killer price considering the parts and labor.  Then get Chris to make you a 3-wire battery box, or batt box+pre, and you'll be all set. :)

Richard

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2006, 08:09:18 PM »
Sure a 3 wire is nice if you have linkowiz moded mics.  A 3 wire mod is not common with many electret mini mics though.   See, the problem is that the AT85xxx mics are all hot as hell and are prone to distortion.  Get a set of mics that do not push out such a hot signal and you wont have these issues.  My 2 wire preamp (church's stc9000) can be used with a bunch of different mics.  The AT's turned me off when I was lookin becasue you either had to get the phantom mod or deal with a 3 wire or distortion. 

On another note I have to agree that the new Hi-MD's have a preamp that is just fine for recording many things. I have noticed less brickwalling with Church's preamp in loud situations, but look at the specs for the built in sony Hi-MD's, they are fucking good.  The noise is not a problem unless you are recording birds in yuor back yard.  The noise level of ambiance at a concert is well above the noise of the Hi-MD preamp.   The NJB3 does have a really shitty ADC and preamp IMO.  The Hi-MDs are not bad though

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2006, 08:15:21 PM »
BTW, everything I just said may be a bunch of bullshit, but some of you have an ego the size of a tank, so I thought I would join the party!!!!   ;)

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 08:26:48 PM »
I have ( microdot 2 wire ) ( I do not yet have the microdots instock but I will in the next month or so)  3.5 mm 2 wire stereo, 3 pin mini XLR any of them can come with a bass roll off at 80hz that can be bypassed.
So any config you can think in a battery box I can build.

Chris Church

Offline rdflash

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 09:40:23 PM »
Also, if you decide to go three-wire, send your mics back to Soundprofessionals and get the "phantom power mod".  I think it is like $79 for him to put miniXLR connectors on each mic, make a dual-miniXLR to mini-3.5mm plug, and supply two Samson phantom adapters.  That is a killer price considering the parts and labor.  Then get Chris to make you a 3-wire battery box, or batt box+pre, and you'll be all set.

Richard

I have Sound Professionals AT831 version phatom modded, 2 samson adapters.  Theres a dual minixlr>mini plug to go into battery box (i dont know what the specifics are).

Bought package from "Chanher"

I have went at831>that little plug>batt box rolloff at 95 KHZ>jb3

havent tried the samson adapters yet. what do i need to run that set up.  just regular XLR cables to pre-amp.

Got free samson mixpad 4 off of "larrysellers"  so can i use that??

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 10:08:53 PM »
Also, if you decide to go three-wire, send your mics back to Soundprofessionals and get the "phantom power mod".  I think it is like $79 for him to put miniXLR connectors on each mic, make a dual-miniXLR to mini-3.5mm plug, and supply two Samson phantom adapters.  That is a killer price considering the parts and labor.  Then get Chris to make you a 3-wire battery box, or batt box+pre, and you'll be all set.

Richard

I have Sound Professionals AT831 version phatom modded, 2 samson adapters.  Theres a dual minixlr>mini plug to go into battery box (i dont know what the specifics are).

Bought package from "Chanher"

I have went at831>that little plug>batt box rolloff at 95 KHZ>jb3

havent tried the samson adapters yet. what do i need to run that set up.  just regular XLR cables to pre-amp.

Got free samson mixpad 4 off of "larrysellers"  so can i use that??

Excellent setup.  You can use the Samson adapters with any XLR input, but it must have phantom power.  I'm not sure if the mixpad has enough juice (it is less than full spec 48V).  Try it and see how it sounds.  It would certainly work on a UA5 or something like that though.  The nice thing about phantom adapters is you just plug them in and they sound great.  No worries about battery boxes, cheap 3.5mm connectors, etc.

If you get a 3-wire battery box that will work too.  Ask Chris Church to build you a preamp+3-wire battery box.  That would sound great into your NJB3.

Richard
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:10:56 PM by poorlyconditioned »

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2006, 12:29:52 AM »
Hey who the hell asked you to join the party! No ones ego is bigger then a soundman’s ego! I must have a shit hi md because my Hi md is noisy as all hell I have an mz-nh900. I love this thing but the mic pre sucks its better then it used to be but its no where near as good as it can be. My whole point to all of this is simple. For the money I am charging it would be better to buy my preamp then to be stuck with a simple battery box that will not work in every situation. But I do understand not everyone can afford $150 for a preamp when a battery box is just $80 But I would say hey don't waste the $80 save up and buy my or someone else’s preamp. As budding sound engineers or recordists, what ever you guys want to call it. You never know what levels are going to be like so having a quiet preamp helps in these situations in a loud rock show the signal to noise becomes MOOT but with a dynamic band it can be a problem.

Chris Church

BTW, everything I just said may be a bunch of bullshit, but some of you have an ego the size of a tank, so I thought I would join the party!!!!   ;)

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »
but with a dynamic band it can be a problem

you are absolutly right.  That is the reason I bought your preamp.  For dynamic shows like Jazz bands and acoustic acts.  Also the preamp is a great tool if you want to use you electret mics for micing an instrument.  You can plug the thing into an amp or a computer soundcard and have a ton of fun.  !!!

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 09:43:13 AM »
Dam you need to get out more :) A TON OF FUN wow. Well you go have your ton of fun and give me some sample recordings damit.

Chris Church

but with a dynamic band it can be a problem

you are absolutly right.  That is the reason I bought your preamp.  For dynamic shows like Jazz bands and acoustic acts.  Also the preamp is a great tool if you want to use you electret mics for micing an instrument.  You can plug the thing into an amp or a computer soundcard and have a ton of fun.  !!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com