Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player.  (Read 5998 times)

Offline DavidDSD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
New Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player.
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:37:06 AM »
Hi

I'm thinking about buying Sony's new flagship SACD player.  I'm really interested to hear impressions from anyone who's aquired one.  Also, has anyone tried playing homemade DSD discs, as this player supports DSD disc playback?  Unfortunately, it's not possible to audition one before purchase.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665537319

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-recorders/sony-scd-xa5400es-465933/review

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »
FWIW - The playstation 3 supports home made DSD disc playback as well and is much cheaper - if you are looking just for this feature.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DavidDSD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »
Hi

I heard that the only model that does it is the Playstation 3 (version 1).

Thing is, if you look for one on ebay, sellers only describe them as Playstation 3s.  How can you tell if it's a version 1?

Offline DavidDSD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »
FWIW - The playstation 3 supports home made DSD disc playback as well and is much cheaper - if you are looking just for this feature.

True, but I just found out that the PS3 also converts to PCM on its analogue outs while the Sony 5400 sacd player has Sony's latest custom designed DSD DAC.

So there will be an audible difference played back on highly resolving system.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »
Hi

I heard that the only model that does it is the Playstation 3 (version 1).

Thing is, if you look for one on ebay, sellers only describe them as Playstation 3s.  How can you tell if it's a version 1?

From Wikipedia:
Playstation 3 and SACD playback

The first two generations of Sony's PlayStation 3 game console are capable of reading SACD discs. Starting with the third generation (introduced October/November 2007), SACD playback was removed altogether. [5]

For models that are capable of reading SACD, three output options exists.

* Using the AV output will give a analog stereo sound for SACDs that include a stereo track.
    * Using HDMI will give access to multichannel high-resolution PCM audio (converted from DSD).
    * Using spdif will give digital stereo sound[A] (of either the stereo track, or a down-mix of the surround track)

A PS3 was capable of converting surround DSD to lossy 1.5 Mbit/s DTS for playback over spdif using the 2.00 software. The immediate revision after this removed the feature.[6]

I didn't realize they yanked SACD/DSD support when they came out with the 80/40GB versions:
- From what I remember it is converted to 24bit 176.4Khz on the fly for HDMI
- The 60GB and 20GB are the first Gen PS3's; The 60GB is somewhat sought after as it is also almost 100% backwards compatible with the PS2
- They are labeled with SACD support on the case.

I wouldn't want to compare the PS3's analog stage with that on an ES SACD player, but if you have a decent Reciever that can accept high sampling rate PCM over HDMI then I would think the output would be pretty close to the ES SACD player.

You can almost buy a used 60GB PS3 and a new Denon 3808ci for the same price.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:37:02 PM by H2O »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DavidDSD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »
Many thanks for the info.

It's not really playing sacd's that I'm after but specifically playing homemade DSD discs- and I heard elsewhere that only version 1 will do this.

So, you say the first version has 60gb/20gb, the third has 80/40GB.  How about the second version?  >:D 

Anyhow, it would be plugged straight into my hifi preamp through its analogue out and it apparentely converts to pcm. I'm only really interested in 2-channel.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
Here is a guide on how to make a DSD disc for use with the PS3 and probably the ES.

http://www.ps3sacd.com/dsddiscguide.html

My thoughts where this may also be possible with a USB hard drive - but you never know.

It's noted in the article that all PS3's can play DSD discs -> i.e. DSF files burned to a DVD. 

They probably yanked the SACD support from the drive to reduce cost.  Also you can play DSF files with a plugin for Windows Media Player 10/11 on systems with no DSD support.
LMA Recordings

List

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:56:29 PM »
Many thanks for the info.

It's not really playing sacd's that I'm after but specifically playing homemade DSD discs- and I heard elsewhere that only version 1 will do this.

So, you say the first version has 60gb/20gb, the third has 80/40GB.  How about the second version?  >:D 

Anyhow, it would be plugged straight into my hifi preamp through its analogue out and it apparentely converts to pcm. I'm only really interested in 2-channel.

I have new generation ps3. If you want to send me a DSD disc I would be more than happy to see what it does with it. I just don't have any DSD files around to test it for you.

When I did throw a Hybrid SACD at it it chose to play the CD info.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline DavidDSD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »
H2o, thanks for that, man. From the guide "To take full advantage of the PS3's DSD Disc playback, you'll need a receiver which can process audio over HDMI, a feature usually found in higher-end equipment. HDMI-passthrough is not the same. If the connection between the PS3 and receiver is HDMI, the PS3 converts the DSD audio files in realtime to 24-bit/176.4 kHz PCM and sends it to your receiver. If using a S/PDIF optical connection between the PS3 and receiver, the audio is sent to the receiver as 24 bit/88.2 kHz PCM".

So, as stated previously, I think the new Sony 5400 sacd is the only Sony that outputs at DSD frequency through it's analogue out (2.8MHz).  Not sure whether the Vaio's (with Sound Reality chip) convert to pcm or not.

kindms- thanks for your kind offer.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:14:43 PM »
and this new sony can read a DVD with plain' old data, recognize the file format as xSD and play it?
now that would interest me.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »
and this new sony can read a DVD with plain' old data, recognize the file format as xSD and play it?
now that would interest me.

Sony "DSD discs" are exactly that.  You take 2.8Mhz DSD files in DSF format follow the DSD creation guide (link I posted above) and Burn to a DVD-R (either single or dual layer disc).

This SACD player, the PS3, and some Sony VIAO PC's can play these discs.
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:17:06 AM »
wow.  thats the product i've been waiting for.  prob. costs $2k though, right ?
id rather have an MR-2000 for less money.

I've got two years worth of DSD masters on DVD.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.332 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com