Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Benchmark DAC for sale on Agon  (Read 4192 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Benchmark DAC for sale on Agon
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:47:29 PM »
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Benchmark DAC for sale on Agon
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 07:10:17 AM »
I like them new silver finish ones.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 09:47:08 AM »
I've been demoing a friend's this week. While I can see the appeal, I'm not sold on it. The "sterile" complaints certainly have merit, IMO. I really like the clean sound and the black background it provides, but on my HD600s, there's a lot of stuff that comes off sounding lifeless to me.

I want to demo the other similar-functioning units before I decide. Anyone know where I can do that with a MiniDAC, Mytek, Lavry, or Grace?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 10:00:18 AM »
I imagine without tubes the Benchmark is extremely dry, possible even metallic sounding. The only way I know to demo those other pieces is to purchase if you don't have a friend with one. Expensive proposition if you are not prepared to buy.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:07:01 AM »
I like them new silver finish ones.

Me too.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 10:21:48 AM »
I want to demo the other similar-functioning units before I decide. Anyone know where I can do that with a MiniDAC, Mytek, Lavry, or Grace?

You might try Audio Consultants on Davis, Matt.  Dunno if they'll have any of that stuff, but worth a try.  And you're welcome to my Bel Canto 1.1 if you want to give it a try for a while.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »
I've been demoing a friend's this week. While I can see the appeal, I'm not sold on it. The "sterile" complaints certainly have merit, IMO. I really like the clean sound and the black background it provides, but on my HD600s, there's a lot of stuff that comes off sounding lifeless to me.

How about on speakers?
I would think listening on cans would make it sound even more sterile.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 05:33:44 PM »

Might also want to check out the Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3. Seen em' going for ~$625 in a few places. Killer measurements in a recent stereophile review.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »
Thanks for the recs, all. I'm really looking for an all-in-one at the point (DAC, system control, HP amp). While speakers will be a consideration eventually (once I get my VR1s again after I'm done with grad school), there will always be a place for HP listening in my setup.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 08:08:12 PM »

I havew the ad2k+ (aka Benchmark 24/02) and while I love its transparent sound - it can come off somewhat steriel and dry. Add a v2 and Schoeps - Ip icked up the psps-2 cause I felt like I might need a bit of color. Don't get me wrong - I love the unit - but it does sound like a piece of wire....  clean and transparent *which I like, but it seems to be mssing somethnig. However, I did not yet ru it at 24bit, so we shall see....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 08:12:55 PM »
I havew the ad2k+ (aka Benchmark 24/02) and while I love its transparent sound - it can come off somewhat steriel and dry. Add a v2 and Schoeps - Ip icked up the psps-2 cause I felt like I might need a bit of color. Don't get me wrong - I love the unit - but it does sound like a piece of wire....  clean and transparent *which I like, but it seems to be mssing somethnig. However, I did not yet ru it at 24bit, so we shall see....

Not to be rude but what does this have to do with digital to analog converters?

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 09:04:02 PM »
I imagine without tubes the Benchmark is extremely dry, possible even metallic sounding. The only way I know to demo those other pieces is to purchase if you don't have a friend with one. Expensive proposition if you are not prepared to buy.

No way metallic.
Clean, articulate, and separated.
Sterile, only if you don't follow it up with a tube linestage.
But, I'm not sure that I'd call it sterile as much as transparent.
It is formidable.
Like everything, it's all a matter of taste and what other components that you use it with.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 11:36:11 PM »

Could be related to Benchmark's design philosophy and "house sound"?

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 11:55:05 PM »

just speaking in general about the Benchmark sound, guess I started rambling there ;)
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com