Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New toys & lot's of pictures!  (Read 8918 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: New toys & lot's of pictures!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 09:48:20 PM »
+ T for buying the playback before drywall!

matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 10:23:39 PM »
What's even worse is that I bought the house just for this room!
+ T back at ya
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 10:07:30 AM »
I would use oc 703 for insulation fwiw.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 12:02:52 PM »
I would use oc 703 for insulation fwiw.

Rigid fiberglass for insulation???  OC 703 and 705 are duct board, NOT insulation!  Being in the NE I would imagine he wants insulation R13 or the like.  I imagine most are using the 2 layer of drywall for sound isolation, not treatment. 

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 12:08:15 PM »
Very Nice! Are you going to do the double layer of drywall, a la Oade...? Somewhere there is a good thread on how Doug tricked out his listening area for his Reference System, and it has some good, easy to replicate tips... Have fun!

thats how we did the interior of my new place- it's double thick 5/8" drywall, the 16' high ceilings are tough to deal with, but they are actually opening up my speakers.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 12:16:15 PM »
Very Nice! Are you going to do the double layer of drywall, a la Oade...? Somewhere there is a good thread on how Doug tricked out his listening area for his Reference System, and it has some good, easy to replicate tips... Have fun!

thats how we did the interior of my new place- it's double thick 5/8" drywall, the 16' high ceilings are tough to deal with, but they are actually opening up my speakers.

And I imagine that was to reduce sound transmission correct?  Sound is best killed my mass/density.  Adding a second layer of sheetrock will do this.  My next home will be of the room within a room approach with insulated flex duct work and all.  Proabably staggered studs and 2 layers of sheetrock with green glue.  Not gonna let the wife have any reason to complain about volume levels during sun. afternoon oxygen/lifetime tv movies.

sc

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 01:26:07 PM »
the primary focus was to reduce transmission from unit to unit, but it served its purpose to keep things together sonically.  Though im limited on options as the floor and the ceiling were pretty much already in place- i just added the hardwood (i just had an option for color basically) and the ceiling is ribbed concrete.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 02:17:05 PM »
Jesus! What the hell are those garden hoses doing coming out of your amps? :o
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 03:49:34 PM »
Jesus! What the hell are those garden hoses doing coming out of your amps? :o

Acoustic Zen Satori shotgun bi-wire speaker cable. They sound incredible & trounced my MIT's (which I still have to seel cheap BTW)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »
Great discussion on the aspect of room design & correction by the way guys, thanks I appreciate it. I really have to start getting some materials together to get this room going.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 09:00:23 AM »
Man, when I have a room and system like that I will say to myself "self, you have got it good!"

+T on having it good!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2006, 09:11:16 AM »
+ T back at you!

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 10:41:41 AM »
+ T back at you!
There is a product that is being used now in new construction home theatre rooms for noise cancelation that goes under the drywall.  If I remember right it is a rubber-ish strip that goes over each stud/truss/rafter that has drywall attached to it under the drywall.  It is supposed to do a lot to cut down on vibration and thus deadens the room.  I will talk to our audio install company and find out what it is called.  I'm a salesman for a homebuilder btw.  I don't do a lot of houses with highend med-highend audio rooms but I do a few.  Anybody ever heard of this?
     I've also heard of using a layer of 1" r-board under the drywall.  R-board is typically used on the outside of the home for insulation.  It is very rigid foam, and drywalling over it isn't a problem as long as you use long screws, and mark where your studs are on the foam so you don't shoot a million in without hitting wood.
     Just for general building practice, regardless of what you do for sound.  It would be a good idea in that room to use steel angles where the rafter hits the side walls.  Rafters and trusses move quite a bit with changes in temp and humidity and that is how you get a lot of split seems at the corner of outside walls.  The idea here is that the steel angle (very thin steel specifically designed for this purpose) attaches to the wall, and instead of attaching the drywall to the ceiling at the corner, you screw it into the stell angle.  then the rafters/truss can move without pulling on the seam.  surprisingly not all pro's use this, and we have to specifically ask for it when we get a new drywaller.  Once they understand how much warranty work it saves them, they never charge us for it.

matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
Wow, thanks for the tip! Looks like I am giving another +T

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2006, 10:59:38 AM »
There a mention of some of these under-the-sheetrock treatments in the latest edition of the Complete Guide to High-End Audio.

Carlbeck, you recommended this book awhile back, so I assume you have it....?
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com