Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dvd player thats plays both dvd-v and dvd-a?  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
dvd player thats plays both dvd-v and dvd-a?
« on: May 07, 2006, 09:28:59 AM »
Or will a dvd-a player play both?  I use audio dvd creator and just got discwelder Chrome s0 I need a player that can play dvd-a now too.  Does That Toshiba 4890 (can't remember the exact # right now) play both?  Gapless?  I thought I read somewhere on here there was a dvd-a player that wouldn't play dvd-v.  Thanks for any guidance on the matter.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: dvd player thats plays both dvd-v and dvd-a?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 09:34:42 AM »
dvd-v plays in any dvd player that plays video (so all dvd players basically).  dvd-a is limited to only players that are advertised as being dvd-a capabile.

As for the toshiba 4960, I had the samsung hd841 which is the same unit, just rebranded and had issues getting dvd-a to play gapless on it...dvd-v worked most of the time...flaky player though...would work right part of the time and wrong the rest...

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 11:14:44 AM »
Just about every DVD player is universal nowadays, so they'll play dvd-a, dvd-v, sacd, mp3, divx. etc etc etc
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 12:23:39 PM »
Just about every DVD player is universal nowadays, so they'll play dvd-a, dvd-v, sacd, mp3, divx. etc etc etc

not true...dvd-a is not on ANY sony player, and there are still a ton of cheap players that dont play DVD-A or SACD

Offline shane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 01:59:18 PM »
I have a Denon 2910 that plays both as well as SACD.  I love it.  The 1920 also plays just about anything (dvd-a, sacd, mps, etc) at a lower price point.  About $350

Shane

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 02:01:29 PM »
I recommend this unit enough I should get a cut of their sales, but the pioneer elite dv-45A is a fantastic unit, plays everything I have thrown at it with zero issues and the picture is markedly better than I ever got from the sub $150 units I had used before. 

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 03:02:32 PM »
I recommend this unit enough I should get a cut of their sales, but the pioneer elite dv-45A is a fantastic unit, plays everything I have thrown at it with zero issues and the picture is markedly better than I ever got from the sub $150 units I had used before. 

Have you tried playing home-made video DVD-R on the Pioneer?  I've got the Elite 47A and am having trouble playing concert videos that I downloaded and burned.  It plays just about every format and has no trouble with audio DVD-V disks that I made.  I can play them on my cheap Toshiba 4960 and Samsung 841.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »
Just wanna throw my $.02 in for the Pioneer Elite 578. It plays everything flawlessly, and is also one of the few I've encountered that can do 24/96 over S/PDIF.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 06:02:44 PM »

not true...dvd-a is not on ANY sony player, and there are still a ton of cheap players that dont play DVD-A or SACD

cuz sony only wants to support their sacd bs

But seriously, just about any dvd player that costs over 100 bucks is gonna play everything, just look for the 6 channel analog outputs on the back.  Pioneer generally seems to be the best about supporting multiple formats, and they make quality products

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 06:04:54 PM »

Have you tried playing home-made video DVD-R on the Pioneer?  I've got the Elite 47A and am having trouble playing concert videos that I downloaded and burned.  It plays just about every format and has no trouble with audio DVD-V disks that I made.  I can play them on my cheap Toshiba 4960 and Samsung 841.

yup, havent had any issues....

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 06:06:39 PM »
Just wanna throw my $.02 in for the Pioneer Elite 578. It plays everything flawlessly, and is also one of the few I've encountered that can do 24/96 over S/PDIF.

The Denon players are also capable of 24/96 over S/PDIF. I've been quite happy with my Denon 2200.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 06:23:04 PM »

The Denon players are also capable of 24/96 over S/PDIF. I've been quite happy with my Denon 2200.

and I get 24/96 over S/PDIF on the DV-45A for my homemade DVDs...for the store bought DVD-As, it only goes analog out...

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 07:14:44 PM »

and I get 24/96 over S/PDIF on the DV-45A for my homemade DVDs...for the store bought DVD-As, it only goes analog out...

All players will only output commercial  DVD-A via the analog out

Gotta love copy protection schemes

Offline Lengthwise

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 10:56:29 AM »

not true, your thinking SACD
4/kc5/6>PSP3>MiniMe>661

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 04:25:06 PM »

not true, your thinking SACD

negative.  DVD-A normally has a DTS or DD 5.1 mix in the video_ts folder that can be passed over an optical or coax connector, but the 24/96 dvd-a portion of it in the audio_ts folder requires the 6 channel analog connectors.  supposedly some players utilize firewire, but I dont know how often that is actually used

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 05:52:07 PM »
Love my Denon 2900. does it all.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com