Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tube headphone amp recommendations?  (Read 8623 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
tube headphone amp recommendations?
« on: March 20, 2007, 03:10:01 PM »
Well, selling off a slew of playback gear has given some cash with which to play around.  ;D  VR-2s (B-stock) are ordered for the LR, now it's time for a headphone amp in the office.

Yes, yes...I know I should head over to headfi.org.  Already have.  The amount of information there is a bit overwhelming, though I'm slowly working my through it.  Any other forums to consider for buying used?

Just curious if anyone here has recommendations for a tube headphone amp to drive my AKG K-501s?  Full system will be:

PC/Audiophile 2496 digi-out > Bel Canto DAC 1.1 > tube preamp > AKG K-501s

• Budget:  ~$300-400
  • Prefer a wide variety of available (and reasonably inexpensive) tubes so I can play around with my sound quite a bit
  • Portable not a requirement - will sit on my desk
  • Used is fine, in fact preferred

Options that caught my eye (though not necessarily all quite within my budget above):

NEW | DESC
===============================================
~$400 | Antique Sound Labs MG Head DT/OTL MKIII
~$470 | Woo Audio 3
~$425 | DOGE 6210
~$450 | Brocksieper Earmax

Huh...they're all at or just above my budget.  Go figure.  :P  Right now, I'm leaning towards the ASL MG Head.  Thoughts?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: tube headphone amp recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:41:25 PM »
fwiw my integrated tube amp is an ASL and it is a great piece of gear. very well built, sounds excellent. I'd definitely consider buying other products of theirs
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 04:55:24 PM »
Well, selling off a slew of playback gear has given some cash with which to play around.  ;D  VR-2s (B-stock) are ordered for the LR, now it's time for a headphone amp in the office.

cant comment on the amp, but I just bought some B stock VR-2s and honestly it is the best purchase I have ever made for listening...you will love them...

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:11:50 PM »
The Woo 3+... I have the Woo6 and cannot say enough about the sound... Jack is a very nice guy at Woo Audio and given that you only need a low impedence amp with no pre.. He might customize a Woo3+ to better fit your needs..

Jeff
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »
congrats on the vr-2's brian - damn those b stocks are tempting
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:06:35 PM »
congrats on the vr-2's brian - damn those b stocks are tempting

Thanks, Tim - really looking forward to 'em.  The B-stocks are cheaper than used on Audiogon, too.  Once I get some more cash together, I'm probably going to pick up a tube pre / ss amp integrated for 2-ch listening in the LR and keep the Sony just for HT.  Can't do it all at once, though, but at least I can enjoy the VR-2s til I get there.  ;D

Thanks for the nod on the Woo, Jeff.  I've read entirely positive reviews on the Woo, but it's a bit more than I'm want to spend.  Heh...of course, they all are.  Decisions, decisions...
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 11:19:23 PM »
I'd add the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 / V3 to your list.  IMHO when you find the right tubes it blows away every other amp I've heard at that pricepoint.  The only real drawback with the X-Can (and the Woo3 for that matter) is that the current production 6922s are pretty awful and the NOS tubes can be very expensive.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 11:50:48 AM »
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216531&highlight=akg+k501+tube+amps

older thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63002&highlight=akg+k501+tube+amps

I own a pair and I know those suckers need a lot of power to be driven properly. Otherwise, they sound lifeless.

By the way, headphone.com (aka headroom) has a 30 day return policy and they do sell a tube amp (the millet).

If your looking for used, find out what you think will sound good with the 501's then head over to the for sale forum for amps.

Toobs are fun   :D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 07:46:55 PM »
I agree with Nick's suggestion. You should look into the X-Can V3. I'm pretty pleased with mine. I know there are better options out there, but I don't know of any in its price range. The reviews I read before buying were all positive. 
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »
Checked the specs on the X-CAN v3 and didn't see what tubes it takes.  Nick, Stu - do you know what tubes it uses?
Roland R-05

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 09:51:21 PM »
Check out the Little Dot 2... a hell of a lot of amp for relatively little, $$.  Also a lot of knowledge out there for tube rolling... and since you're a taper you gotta love experimentation.

Also... Spend some of that cheese to step up to the 701's they really are that much better!
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 09:57:45 PM »
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 09:51:34 PM »
Checked the specs on the X-CAN v3 and didn't see what tubes it takes.  Nick, Stu - do you know what tubes it uses?

It takes two 6922 tubes.

Offline ambo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 01:17:10 PM »
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/#headphone%20amps

I have one of these MAD Ear + Hd and it's awesome with Grado SR325i, Senn HD580, and AKG 501. Comes as a kit or assembled

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com