Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denecke AD-20 power supply?  (Read 9128 times)

wrangler_n_space

• Trade Count: (0)
Denecke AD-20 power supply?
« on: March 27, 2003, 03:56:23 PM »
What would be a good power source for this, aside from the 9v?

And wgere would i get it?

thnks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Denecke AD-20 power supply?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 04:02:51 PM »
The specs say 5.5v - 25v, so you could use a small 6v SLA.  There are a bunch of online retailers who make 6v SLA battery packs.  Or for a small fraction of the cost, you could make your own:

http://www.geocities.com/bskalinder/tapersgear/power.html
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 04:10:19 PM »
an rc battery pack would work as well

wrangler_n_space

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 11:20:57 AM »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 11:21:39 AM by wrangler_n_space »

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 11:52:53 AM »
Just whatever you do, don't use a 9v battery if you don't have to! That "Approximte Battery Life 9 Hours" business on the inbox is complete bullshit. I won't trust mine for more than 4 on a 9v - I've been very burned before.

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 02:32:32 PM »
Yeah they eat 9 volts like candy.  I bought 10 batteries for Bonnaroo last year and ran out of batteries halfway through the second day.  You can get everything you need at radio shak to build a batterypack that will work for a long time.  Charger, battery, cable and connectors for under $20.  You input the battery into the ad-20 via a standard 1/8" mono mini plug.  I have never run out of power at a show since building the battery pack and the ad-20 will run for quite awhile once the indicator light comes on.  When powered via a disposable 9v the indicator comes on at the same time the ad-20 shuts off.  Peace, Matt
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 02:40:07 PM »
My experience with the indicator light was VERY soon after it came on, the self-noise increased considerably...  I tried at all costs to avoid that.

I ended up with 2 rechargeable 9V's from Ratshack.  I would switch them out at setbreak...  That way I always had good power.  It was a cheap solution for me, as I already had a charger that could charge both at once.

After building a 9.6v pack for my UA5, tho, I probably would recommend that route.  It ends up costing way more (I paid $88 with quick charger for 2 1600mah packs), but the end result is a more stable battery pack and lots more runtime.

Although for festivals I can't just buy some disposable 9v's now, I have to pick up a couple more 9.6 packs...

wrangler_n_space

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 02:55:02 PM »
Thnks for the advise guys.I think my mom has a 9v charger and some batteries. I am going to visit this weeken so i might have to snag it form her. ;)

If not i will swing into Radio Shack and see what i need to build one.
Is it hard to build your own. I am a retard when it comes to stuff like that.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 03:31:13 PM »
Man, at first building a 9.6v pack had me confused.  After doing it, tho, it is so damn simple ANYONE can do it!!!

Remember to buy the "good" nimh 9v if you decide to use regular 9v.  NiCd 9V don't have enough juice for even one set, in my experience!!

wrangler_n_space

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 04:14:13 PM »
What about the ps-2.
There is one on the oade board for 100$

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2003, 04:52:49 PM »
PS-2 is power supply for mics (phantom power) they run on 9v disposable or outboard power supply.  You can power it off the same battery pack as the one you build for the AD-20.  You do not need this unless your mics are phantom powered.  The battery pack is real easy to build infact it is almost imposible to do it wrong.  When you go to radio shack this is what you need
1.  RC 9.6v battery and charger ( they come together in a package for $20)
2.  RC car repair kit (this costs like $5 and has the conector you will need to make your power cable)
3.  Power cable (this is a cable that has a conector at one end that you can plug the conector that will go int the ad-20)  This is a $2 cable that is designed to work with all the various power adapters.
4. mono 1/8" mini plug adapter (this is a piece that has a mono plug on one end and two prongs on the other)  it will plug into one end of the power cable.

In the RC car repair pack is the piece you will need to make the cable.  It is the same plug that is on the end of the charger.  The plug has solderless conectors so all you need to do is strip the insulation off the wires of you power cable and crimp them to the plug.  Now you stick the mono 1/8 mini adapter into the other end of the power cable and you done.  Charge up the battery connect it to the power cable and plug it into the AD-20.  If the AD-20 does not turn on you have the 1/8 mini plug in backwards take it out and turn it around.  This may sound a bit complicated, but it is not.  email me at wp420247@aol.com and I will send you some pictures.  Also check out this.  This is the same battery pack that you can buildfor $25 that micsupply sell for 50 bucks.
http://www.micsupply.com/ad20power.htm
Peace, Matt
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

wrangler_n_space

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2003, 05:04:56 PM »
Thanks for the instuructions. It doesnt sound to complicated.

I will be running akg c1000s so i dont think there is any need for the ps-2 right?

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2003, 05:26:41 PM »
No they run just fine off internal 9v.  I have actually left them on for days and the batteries still worked.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2003, 10:54:52 PM »
Have you tested them back to back with phantom and without?  I just returned a Rode NT4 that I had for awhile...  It was significantly better when running on phantom power...  Much more open highs.  I have no experience with the C1000's, so I'm not sure if it's analagous, but I thought it interesting to mention.

I didn't buy the $20 battery at Ratshack; it's a 1000mah.  You can pick up a 1600 mah for $5 more; and although it doesn't come with a charger, I felt the increase in juice is worth it for my UA5...

wrangler_n_space

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2003, 11:16:44 PM »
Mics will be in next week. So i really only know what i am told and what i have read.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com