Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking to upgrade Alesis Palmtrack to M10 or TR 2D  (Read 2950 times)

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Looking to upgrade Alesis Palmtrack to M10 or TR 2D
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
I recorded a thrash metal/hardcore show last night with my Alesis Palmtrack and it's completely unlistenable. Even with the recorder on low gain and level on the lowest setting, the recordings are overloaded and distorted to the point of breaking up. i was about 35 feet away from the PA.

Do recorders such as the PCM-M10 and Tascam TR 2D have the capablity of recording loud music decently (little or no distortion and no breaking up)without the use of external mics or a pre-amp?  What should I look for in the specs of these recorders  or others that will tell me the recorder's level capabilities?  Thanks. I'm going to go back to my cell phone recorder in the meantime.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Looking to upgrade Alesis Palmtrack to M10 or TR 2D
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
Tell us about your Microphone setup...will you be using the internals?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
some guys I know in Netherlands use the r9 with internals for blisteringly loud shows (Sunno))), etc). No distortion and they get consistant A-/B+ recordings.  Also some Acid Mother Temple on the LMA by zappapenguin are same lineage "Roland Edirol R-09 (on-board mics, low cut on & AGC off". Should be able to get an r9 cheeep, too, since these are the units with the bad mic input that was superceded by the r9hr. If you only want to use internals, the mic input prob should not be any issue at all.....theres one on ebay now for 120 BIN

check this Acid Mothers out http://archive.org/details/amt2008-03-24.flac16   >:D

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
I will check out the r9 as well. Thanks.

As far as mic setups, I don't have one. I would rely on the internal mics.  All of my recordings are stealth and I have to be sure to get my recorder past the door police. I only have room to conceal a recorder with onboard mics.

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
Thanks ilduclo for the info on that R-09 on ebay. I bought it.  I listened to the Acid Mother Temple show (my first time hearing the band. I dig them Kind of Butthole Surfer-ish.) and I liked the quality from a small venue.

ilduclo

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
sweet! ;D look forward to hearing what you get. Let me know if you need contact info for the guys I know who are using that r9 set up.

ild

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
I taped 3 bands at 2 shows this past weekend with my R-09 and I'm excited at its potential.  One show was in a bowling alley with the PA hanging from the ceiling and another was at a community center with only the vocals running through the PA. 

I was happy to see when the recording level was set to 14 or 15, the meters were not pinned and there wasn't a constant overloaded red signal light burning a hole in my pocket. I hear a difference in clarity of the left and right channels, which is due to the one side of the recorder pushing against my left armpit so I have to watch out for that next time.  The guitars were recorded low in the mix of the unamplified show, due to kids standing in front of the two-foot stage and the divers constantly in front of the equipment, but I record bands for personal posterity not perfection. The show at the bowling alley came out much clearer, especially during the opening band when the floor wasn't so packed.

I am happy with recording quality of the internal mics. The bass, guitar, drums, and vocals all came out pretty good. Nothing a bit of adjustment of the bass and treble on my stereo can't improve.  I'm eager to see how they perform in a larger room with a proper PA system.  I'm in the process of purchasing a used pair of AT853s.  I'm not sure I can use them at every show, but I will give them a shot. 

ilduclo

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
be careful using mics on the r9, these are the ones that have the fragile input.  I think most of the guys I know hold their r9 facing the pa's so shirt pocket is not the preferred use. If you want to use mics, your old recorder may be the one to use? ???

Offline tbirdbuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:54:26 PM »
Thanks.  There is great information in the forum about repairing an R-09's faulty solder joints.  I haven't opened mine yet.  The palmtrack at recording level "1" and in the pocket was still overloading.  That sucker is on ebay and will be out of my house by Monday.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com