Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM  (Read 100702 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM
« Reply #300 on: January 19, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
Thanks guys, your replies are helpful.  I went ahead and ordered a DR-2D.  Good price - seems super cheap considering the features it has.

100% agreed! Cant beat it for a small handheld 4chan unit
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »
Need to pick up a new hand held before Wanee, would yall recommend this one. Will be coming out of a VMS5U into recorder. Was hoping for something a little cheaper than the M10. I will not be using it for anything other than line in. Thoughts.............?

Todd

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #302 on: January 23, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
It depends on what you are after.  I own the Sony D50 and from what I've heard from it, I'd choose it or the similar Sony M10 over the DR2d (also own that) for 2ch work.

If you want to do 4ch work, or at least have the option, the DR2d is a good choice for a small, cheap 4ch recorder (though granted, it has little competition at its size and price level for 4ch).

The DR2d can overload fairly easily though, so you will either need to keep the VMS5U set low or get a set of attenuator cables.  I run the DR2d out of my Lunatec V3, which I keep cranked since I also run that digitally into the D50, so I use a set of attenuator cables between the V3 and DR2d.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
I think I'll go with M10. Thanks for the response.

Todd

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2012, 02:54:10 AM »
OK, I pulled the trigger and ordered a DR-2d. Needed a second deck as I'm starting to get requests to be at two shows at the same time. Also wanted to do some 4 channel work.

Has anyone here used one with AT853 and battery box?
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline terabyte23

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
I did my first trial run with the DR-2d at a recent metal show.  I used Dual Line mode to test the mode itself and also to test my SP-CMC-8 cards vs. CA-14 cards in the same environment.  I ran CMC-8 > batt box > mic-in and CA-14 > CA-9100 > line-in.  This allowed me to adjust the gain on line-in via the CA-9100.  I ran the mic-in level at about 85 for this show.

The DR-2d worked great, no problems at all with dual recording.  Very cool!  I set the line-in gain to 98 beforehand.  This was a loud metal show and even with the line-in gain at 98 I needed the CA-9100 cranked to nearly 100% to reach -6 db on the meters.  (Does this make me a candidate for the CA-9200 with its higher gain ceiling?)

Unfortunately I lost the L channel on the CA-14 input about halfway through the set.  Still not sure what happened...could be the patch cable from the CA-9100 to the DR-2d but I need to do some more testing.

In the end I actually like the sound of both the CA-14 and the CMC-8 mics at this show.  Maybe I'll put up some samples for you guys to pick apart ;-)
AKG ck61/ck63 > Naiant couplings > Naiant Tinybox > M10
CA-14 cards/omnis > SP-SPSB-8 > M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #306 on: February 03, 2012, 12:52:54 AM »
Bummer bout L chan dropping out. Id love to hear that comp! When my new LB comes, I will be trying my DR2D out for a show the 1st time. Its a local dead cover band who loves when I tape their shows :) I will be running mk41>Sax>Line-In & BSC2>LB>Mic-In
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline manida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »
FIRST POST. 
Complete NEWB. 
Extremely limited audio knowledge.
I just ordered the DR-2d. 

Ive been kicking around the idea of recording shows for about 20 freaking years now.  I guess I always thought that I'd need around $5000 just to get my feet wet.  Apparently that is not the case any more.  It should arive later this week and Im extremely stoked to get it.  Im sure I'll be posting on this forum occasionally (or at least reading it) for suggestions and reviews.

I pretty much still need EVERYTHING (except a recorder) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »
FIRST POST. 
Complete NEWB. 
Extremely limited audio knowledge.
I just ordered the DR-2d. 

Ive been kicking around the idea of recording shows for about 20 freaking years now.  I guess I always thought that I'd need around $5000 just to get my feet wet.  Apparently that is not the case any more.  It should arive later this week and Im extremely stoked to get it.  Im sure I'll be posting on this forum occasionally (or at least reading it) for suggestions and reviews.

I pretty much still need EVERYTHING (except a recorder) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

typical response...
what's your budget?
what is your application... loud or quiet music?
what's your setup... open or stealth?

welcome to the world of tapers  :)

Offline manida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
budget:  unknown.  Would like to find some decent mics for around $300 or less, if thats even possible
application:  mostly loud, live shows with an audience.  Everything from bluegrass to electronica
setup:  open.  I dont really have a desire to hide what Im doing, but I guess I would entertain the idea

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #310 on: February 15, 2012, 12:00:09 AM »
Mics under $300 there are two popular ways to go,

New mics from Church Audio like the  CA-14, along with one of his preamps

Used mics, you can find Avantone CK-1, Busman BCS1, Rode NT5, and Studio Projects C4 mics in your price range. These mics require 48v phantom power and will need either a phantom power supply like the Deneke PS-2 or a Preamp such as the Naiant Tinybox 2. Check the yardsale section of this board to see what is available.

Both Church and Naiant are active on this board in the retail section.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #311 on: February 15, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »
budget:  unknown.  Would like to find some decent mics for around $300 or less, if thats even possible
application:  mostly loud, live shows with an audience.  Everything from bluegrass to electronica
setup:  open.  I dont really have a desire to hide what Im doing, but I guess I would entertain the idea

I have a DR-2D as my backup/small recorder.  I have a DR-100 also.  I bought a pair of CA-14/9100 cardiods for my 12 year old son to use with the DR-2D.   Very small rig for stealthing in your price point.  He will be breaking it in for http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/warren/info.shtml .  I'm sure it is fine for "non stealth" applications too.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »
Glitch!

Deck is stuck in rec/pause after 1:40:08 gig.  Used the remote to pause while walking out and disscovered in the car that neither the remote nor transport buttons on the unit work.  All other buttons on the unit function OK.  Can't power down the deck as that requires holding the 'stop' button.  Drove home pusing buttons occasionally, holding the deck near the AC vent to cool it down, etc.  Thinking I'll need to pop the batteries out to shut it down but worried about the file not writing correctly..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #313 on: February 27, 2012, 11:51:36 PM »
Killed power by popping out the batteries. Seems OK on re-power-up. Files wrote fine and transfered OK.  Hmmmmm.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #314 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »
B & H Photo has the "white" ones on sale for $124.99 w/ free shipping.  That's an amazing deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=tascam+dr2d&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com