Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM  (Read 100698 times)

Offline bartolac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM
« Reply #345 on: March 10, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »
can someone explain to me how brickwalling happens at lower levels
By "lower levels" I assume you mean lower recording levels, not lower sound levels (e.g., a quiet show).

From my new-found understanding, the menu's GAIN setting controls a first stage, and the rocker-switch LEVEL setting controls a second stage. So for a typical loud show you may find yourself setting GAIN=HIGH, and then reducing the LEVEL setting to prevent the PEAK light from blinking. But what's going on is you're overloading the first stage (controlled by the menu's GAIN setting), invoking its limiter feature to "brickwall" the first-stage output. Once that's happening, you are misled into thinking you got a good combination of settings. It seems that the first-stage limiter produces an output level that then requires a LEVEL setting at ~70 to avoid the PEAK light from coming on. So the guideline is to not use a LEVEL setting below ~70, if instead you can reduce the GAIN setting, because if you find a LEVEL less than ~70 is necessary (with GAIN higher than LOW), it might mean that you're overloading the input stage, and your recording will be brickwalled.

My take-home (using the internal mics - YMMV) is to start with GAIN=LOW, and LEVEL at a high setting (I started with 85 last night), and after the first song (or during the sound check), back down on the LEVEL as necessary. If you're stealthing, and can't get to the unit to reduce the LEVEL after the first song, set DUAL at -12dB and hope for the best, expecting to use that lower-gain recording for production if you guessed too high on the LEVEL setting. (At least, if you record 24bit/96kHz, and intend to publish 16bit/44.1kHz, you have numerical room to change the gain in post on the resulting DUAL recording without too much loss of fidelity.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:12:51 PM by bartolac »

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #346 on: March 12, 2012, 05:29:39 AM »
Is anyone using 32gb cards with their DR-2d's? I'm thinking about getting one. Any recomendations or known good cards?
Thanks in advance.

Offline jdwtyl

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #347 on: March 12, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »
Is anyone using 32gb cards with their DR-2d's? I'm thinking about getting one. Any recomendations or known good cards?
Thanks in advance.
http://tascam.com/product/dr-2d/downloads/

Check out the tested media list. It should be a nice spot to start.
Schoeps MK22, MK41 - Matched Pairs
Schoeps CMC6 x4, Schoeps CMR - Pair
Naiant Tinybox, Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+), Naiant PFA
SD MixPre-6ii, Edirol R-44 (OCM), Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #348 on: March 12, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Thanks in advance.

This has been covered several times previoudsly.  I use Transcend class 10 and Kingston class 4 or 6 cards of 32GB capacity.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #349 on: March 12, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »
I'm using an A-Data card for my DR2D, which is a 16gb SDHC Card ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2012, 05:23:42 AM »
Sorry, should have searched first.
I didn't think Tascam would ever update their tested media list. Guess I underestimated them.
Anyway, thanks!

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #351 on: March 13, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
First outing with this recorder on Sunday and everything went fairly well. 4022>vms5u(gain @30db)>xlr to mini>DR2d (line in @ 95). I was very close to the PA system  and but no overload issues at all. More trials to come.

Todd

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2012, 12:58:43 PM »
Did my first 4 track matrix with my DR-2d last month. Will be up on archive soon. Here's a video from the gig using my audio. The mix was done by Greg Williamson at The Kill Room studio in Seattle.

Mics were KAM m3 sdc x/y cardioid caps, I used two channels of the MixWiz console for phantom and preamps, with the other two channels for L/R from the board.

http://vimeo.com/38416450
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
Great sound!
Onstage mics plus board is the way to at small rock shows like that.
Also, nice shot of your mics at ~4:27.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #354 on: March 13, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »
I had the advantage of being asked by the event organizers to record, and my buddy was running FOH that night. The mics were his KAM m3 drum overheads. My Avantone CK-1 mics were a mile away recording another gig that night.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #355 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »
Perhaps a question for a separate thread, but has anyone run a 4ch recording with 2 different sets of mics, then mixed the LF frequencies from one pair of mics and the HF from the other pair? Kind of thinking how a crossover in a loudspeaker works, using the better-sounding mics for each part of the audio spectrum.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline jdwtyl

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #356 on: March 13, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
Perhaps a question for a separate thread, but has anyone run a 4ch recording with 2 different sets of mics, then mixed the LF frequencies from one pair of mics and the HF from the other pair? Kind of thinking how a crossover in a loudspeaker works, using the better-sounding mics for each part of the audio spectrum.
I've done something to this effect. I've owned a DR-2D for about a year now and love it. I ran my DPA 4061's split ~30" and AKG CK93's DINa for Phish last summer and mixed the sources with pretty good results (not quite what your talking about I think). The DPA's were good for the low end and "opening" up the recording, while the hypers were helpful in reducing audience chatter and overall clarity of the recording. It's definitely worth trying out some different mic combos, I think there's potential for some great sounding tapes.
Schoeps MK22, MK41 - Matched Pairs
Schoeps CMC6 x4, Schoeps CMR - Pair
Naiant Tinybox, Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+), Naiant PFA
SD MixPre-6ii, Edirol R-44 (OCM), Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #357 on: March 13, 2012, 10:35:14 PM »

I've made a number of recordings with that possibility in mind, but have never gotten around to messing with the filtering. 

But that's what WifiJeff does with his miniature DPA supercards + omnis.  The response of the supercards rolls of their bottom end and I think he low passes the omnis.  He places each supercard and omni in close proximity of each other to eliminate time arrival differences between the two corresponding mics of each side.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2012, 11:06:41 PM »
Hmmm, anyone use microSD cards in SD adapters in the DR-2D? I have 32GB of microSD memory for my M10 that I would like to use if I were to switch recorders.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #359 on: March 14, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »

I've done this once or twice.  Really can't recall at this point what I thought of the results.  I mixed cheaper omnis plus higher end cards (since I can't recall when I did this, I don't remember the mics used) for outdoor shows at Red Rocks.

Wanted the omnis (split) for the spaciousness and for the low end response, but knew the cards would have better mids and highs.  I did HPF on the cards and LPF on the omnis and mixed them.  Sorry, I can't remember any of the details on the crossover point I used, or how far down I lowered the "unwanted" frequencies. 

Seems like it should work fine, with no worse phase issues than just mixing 4 mics straight up.  I probably should try it more.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com