Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cleaning gear: electret mic capsules and general gear (cables, boxes, etc) too?  (Read 4188 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Someone (Chris Church?) said you can clean mic capsules by soaking them in "demineralized water" or somesuch and then rinsing something (?) after that.  Oh yeah, do I put them in the spin dryer after that :)

So, does anyone know the proper steps?  I've got some AT853 capsules that are (probably) dirty, like in a smoke filled room.  So, what are the risks/benefits of cleaning mics?  I should probably only clean the front (diaphragm) and not the back (electret backplate).  I would never try with expensive stuff, but AT853 seems reasonable.

And what about cleaning gear?  I've got various boxes and cables with cruft (gaffers tape, velcro, etc) on them.

Thanks for any pointers...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

CHURCH-AUDIO

I have talked to a few people at Sennhieser they say use the deminerlized water for about 2 minutes then 100% ispropanol for about 2 minutes then dry them in the dryer :_) just kidding use the toaster oven its faster. No just let them sit on a paper towel for a day or two now thus should only be done when your dealing with sweat damage and may or may not work all the time. If you’re having problems with cracking a small bit of debris might be on the capsule surface then just use the isopropanol there are a few brave soles that use a very fine artist brush with isoprop but that is only if you can gain access to the capsule diaphragm. I hope this helps

Chris Church

Someone (Chris Church?) said you can clean mic capsules by soaking them in "demineralized water" or somesuch and then rinsing something (?) after that.  Oh yeah, do I put them in the spin dryer after that :)

So, does anyone know the proper steps?  I've got some AT853 capsules that are (probably) dirty, like in a smoke filled room.  So, what are the risks/benefits of cleaning mics?  I should probably only clean the front (diaphragm) and not the back (electret backplate).  I would never try with expensive stuff, but AT853 seems reasonable.

And what about cleaning gear?  I've got various boxes and cables with cruft (gaffers tape, velcro, etc) on them.

Richard

CHURCH-AUDIO

I use googone for cables then I wipe them clean with soap and water and dry them off with a paper towel

Richard

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I haven't done this yet but I think I am eventually going to.  I read a few years back that the very best cheap "upgrade", to any gear is using a small amount of metal polish on all metal connectors.  Cable tips and gear inputs.  I think I read it in Home Theater magazine, but I would have to assume that it would apply to any audio or video equipment, whether it's playback or recording.
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

CHURCH-AUDIO

Deoxit Gold for contacts I dont use anything else because any type of metal polish will leave a residue. I have also used untrasonic cleaning units like the one sold at radio shack for $50.00 its the same type used by jewlery stores, but you have to have connectors that are unsoldered from wires in order to use it. I Like Deoxit I have actually looked under a microscope at the metal surface as that stuff just eats away oxidation.

Chris Church

I haven't done this yet but I think I am eventually going to.  I read a few years back that the very best cheap "upgrade", to any gear is using a small amount of metal polish on all metal connectors.  Cable tips and gear inputs.  I think I read it in Home Theater magazine, but I would have to assume that it would apply to any audio or video equipment, whether it's playback or recording.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
i was told by PMI Audio (studio projects) that you can dry the capsules by putting them in the oven on very very low temp ~150 or so for 5 minutes or so
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
i was told by PMI Audio (studio projects) that you can dry the capsules by putting them in the oven on very very low temp ~150 or so for 5 minutes or so

150 deg F is safe, but a lot of ovens have no good control for these very low heats in my experience, so unless you have carefully measure-tested with gage for accuracy and stability, better to not use an oven at all. 100 watt light bulb in a task lamp can do wonders for quickly drying out gear at 6-12 inch distance.

If the oven proves good at 150F, then suggest always let the oven run for at least 15 minutes to completely stabilize at low temp BEFORE putting sensitive gear inside to dry.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
Demineralized water, don't you guys mean distilled water? Or is it like the whole ketchup/catsup thing...
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
I would not attempt to clean a microphone unless you are expereinceing problems.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
This is something I left out of my instructuions. I would never clean a mic that did not need it. If the mic is lacking in top end or is noisey. These are good candidates for cleaning. When you have nothing to lose and everything to gain clean the mic, if not leave it alone.

Chris Church

I would not attempt to clean a microphone unless you are expereinceing problems.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline mdarnton

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
Demineralized water, don't you guys mean distilled water? Or is it like the whole ketchup/catsup thing...

Demineralized is the chemistry set version of distilled in the same direction, but a few steps farther. It's really hungry for dirt and things normal water won't grab--given time, it can even eat some types of containers.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
What the demineralized water does in in this part of the formula to clean the capsule is break down salt crystals from sweat. If you do not have sweat on the mic you can skip the water.

Demineralized is the chemistry set version of distilled in the same direction, but a few steps farther. It's really hungry for dirt and things normal water won't grab--given time, it can even eat some types of containers.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com