Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video Stealthing  (Read 7702 times)

Offline Norm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Video Stealthing
« on: May 23, 2005, 07:33:26 AM »
Anyone have any hints on standing and stealthing video?
More on hdiing the fact as much as possible, and getting as little shake as possible.
I have a Canon MV600i, and have taped sitting before from the back of a smallish dark venue. Results were very grainy and disappointing.
Any tips on this would be grateful too.

Cheers

Norm
SP-CMC-8 -> SPSB-3 - > JB3

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Video Stealthing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 10:37:11 PM »
Hey Norm,
The Canon MV600i is reasonably small but it does have a protruding viewfinder which may make things a little harder to get the camera inside the venue, but I know of filmers that have brought in cameras twice the size so it's definitely doable.
How tall are you and what's your build? I'm a rather short (about 5 ft 6 in) and skinny guy but I've managed to crotch a video camera. Just place the camera down your pants in the crotch area. You might want to wear two pairs of underwear and place the video camera in between them, but putting the camera straight in your underwear works as well. Going out in public is the best way to get used to walking around with a camera down your pants. If you search the Photo/Video Recording forum you'll come across a few discussions about steathing a video camera.

Another thing you could try is to put the video camera into the sleeve of a jacket (let it slide down to the end of the sleeve) and then carry the jacket over your arm.

Since you're filming from a seat you should be able to pull off a steady video. Ideally you'd want to use the LCD screen, but in most cases they draw too much attention and you would be safer to use the viewfinder instead. Make sure you angle the viewfinder so that it is pointing up. Use your left hand to steady the camera by placing the camera in the palm of your hand.

Set the AE setting to "Spotlight" - this setting will reduce the grain with your recording. You may want to also reduce the Exposure by a couple of f-stops as well. (Basically when the opening band is playing, wait until the brightest part of the show and set the Exposure to "Manual", then drop the exposure by a couple of f-stops.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 03:05:11 AM by punani »

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:38:56 AM »
Hey Norm,
The Canon MV600i is reasonably small but it does have a protruding viewfinder which may make things a little harder to get the camera inside the venue, but I know of filmers that have brought in cameras twice the size so it's definitely doable.
How tall are you and what's your build? I'm a rather short (about 5 ft 6 in) and skinny guy but I've managed to vrotch a video camera. Just place the camera down your pants in the crotch area. You might want to wear two pairs of underwear and place the video camera in between them, but putting the camera straight in your underwear works as well. Going out in public is the best way to get used to walking around with a camera down your pants. If you search the Photo/Video Recording forum you'll come across a few discussions about steathing a video camera.

Another thing you could try is to put the video camera into the sleeve of a jacket (let it slide down to the end of the sleeve) and then carry the jacket over your arm.

Since you're filming from a seat you should be able to pull off a steady video. Ideally you'd want to use the LCD screen, but in most cases they draw too much attention and you would be safer to use the viewfinder instead. Make sure you angle the viewfinder so that it is pointing up. Use your left hand to steady the camera by placing the camera in the palm of your hand.

Set the AE setting to "Spotlight" - this setting will reduce the grain with your recording. You may want to also reduce the Exposure by a couple of f-stops as well. (Basically when the opening band is playing, wait until the brightest part of the show and set the Exposure to "Manual", then drop the exposure by a couple of f-stops.)

... Going out in public is the best way to get used to walking around with a camera down your pants ...

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a while!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 03:48:30 PM »
Forgot I posted this :)
Thanks for the replies.
I am actually standing at this gig. I desperately need hints on keeping the cam steady when standing, maybe holding it against my chest?
Sneaky tripod? Also, making it inconspicious. Semi covering with black bag or something?

Any help appreciated!

Offline Chachi420

• Taperssection Newbie
  • That's so tacky!
    • Chachi420's Live music list
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 06:18:25 PM »
"Stealthpod":
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5602&is=REG

Adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=5357&is=REG&addedTroughValue=5602_REG&addedTroughType=accessory

This is a nice and lightweight fluid head:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=272630&is=REG

When you save up buy these legs that will also work with that head (definately worth the price).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=253564&is=REG

The "stealthpod" is much less noticeable than a handheld. Crotch the camera, and claim that you are an audio taper bringing in a tripod to your audio-taper buddy who has mics inside already. If the show doesn't allow audio taping...then getting in the tripod might not be possible. Have fun and good luck! If you get caught, have a$10 or $20 bill handy and offer it to the security crew. Since they are not paid very well, they will certainly take your money and let you keep taping.
Panasonic GS19 miniDV

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 06:36:28 PM »
They dont allow audio taping, its going to be tough enough crotching the camera :(
Especially when your packing like me ;)

Some sort of strap around your chest with an attachment would have been ideal.
I guess this isnt possible though?
Any tips for holding the cam,  and keeping as steady as poss?

Thanks for your help so far. +T

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 09:52:19 PM »
Some sort of strap around your chest with an attachment would have been ideal.
I guess this isnt possible though?
I know some stealth filmers are using Chestpods (manufactured by Cullmann) instead of tripods/monopods. I've never used one myself though.
Here's a link to what they look like:
http://www.cullmann-foto.de/en/products/tripods/special/2702.htm

Any tips for holding the cam,  and keeping as steady as poss?
I think for your first time, you'd be best of doing it hand held. Bringing in a tripod will just add another thing to your list to worry about. And just so you know, your first recording isn't going to be the best. It's a learning experience but you'll get much better the more shows you do.

Offline Norm

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 04:20:20 AM »
That looks like just the job.
As you say this time, getting one of those in will be an extra hassle.
I will give it a miss on this one, I expect very shaky close ups! :)

Thanks for that, I think I will purchase one in the future.
My crotch will be bulging.

silverbullet

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 07:35:41 AM »
I haven't done any video stealthing but I'd opt for a compact monopod with a ball head if I had to do the job.

Stated earlier .... having the AE setting set to "Spotlight" gave me good results on my last nightime outdoor taping. I didn't play with the exposure but during the warmup band I just tried a couple of different setting and compared the results while looking at the LCD. Seemed like the Spotlight setting was giving me the best results for that particular setting. This wasn't a stealth job so I had all the time in the world to play around.

Offline inside source

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 12:43:44 PM »
Make sure you angle the viewfinder so that it is pointing up.

What camcorder do you have?
Unfortunately almost all newer camcorders (especially Sony and Panasonic) do not have this greatest feature anymore - the viewfinder doesn't lift up. And even if it does for some older models, it usually doesn't allow to watch in it from a distance.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 02:22:45 AM »
Make sure you angle the viewfinder so that it is pointing up.

What camcorder do you have?
Unfortunately almost all newer camcorders (especially Sony and Panasonic) do not have this greatest feature anymore - the viewfinder doesn't lift up. And even if it does for some older models, it usually doesn't allow to watch in it from a distance.
Unfortunately, my current camcorder does not have this feature :( The last camcorder I had that had a viewfinder that count tilt up was a Sony Digital8 from a few years ago. I'm currently using a Sony HC-30 miniDV camera (significantly smaller than my D8)  so I'm forced to use the LCD screen.

If you are able to find a camera with a tilt up viewfinder, it is sometimes possible to remove the eye piece and that will allow you to view what you are recording from a distance. I did that with my Digital8 camera and used it to shoot a couple of shows.

Offline uk mutt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 08:51:15 PM »
Man, I'm glad I found this forum!

I'm planning on getting my new rig into a show in a couple of weeks, that allows audio taping, but was looking for a stealth tripod that had a small enough footprint to use up in the stands of a show.  A traditional camera tripod just doesn't look the same as a mic stand.

I did manage to get my old beheemoth Sony hi8 camera into Redrocks a few years ago, but I didn't know I would make in, so I didn't have a tripod, and had to hold the damn thing all night. Man, I was sore! I did get good results by pointing it at the pro-shot video screens, as they were half the distance to focus in on - less shake! And hell, why not use their video system? I paid for the ticket.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 09:38:14 PM »
I stealthed a show at The Showbox (Seattle) a year or so ago with pretty good results.  It was an all ages (bar w/ ID) show so I got out my ID and went into the bar that is audience right (the bigger one).  I put my messenger bag on the bar's halfwall and put my camcorder right next to it.  I put my elbow on the other side of the camera to obscure it from both sides and filmed both opening bands (Jackie O Motherfucker and Wolf Eyes).  Granted, the entire set is a static angle of the entire stage but it sure is better than nothing. I bet I could have filmed Sonic Youth if I had the desire, the extra tape, and an extra battery.

So I guess my advice is that if you can find a halfwall to post up on, then by all means use it.  It's like a tripod that the venue provides for you.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 10:19:42 AM »
I bet I could have filmed Sonic Youth if I had the desire, the extra tape, and an extra battery.
Sonic Youth actually allow video taping, so you could have set up a tripod at the back of the room and shot without having to stealth.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 02:19:46 PM »
Not at The Showbox you can't.  That venue's staff threatens to sell your camera at the pawn shop next door if they catch you filming.  In addition, SY had a camera crew of their own filming the show that night.

wilsondmb

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2005, 01:42:40 AM »
most important tip you can get.....

if someone spots you....wave smile or look at them right in the eyes.... and act normal....bob your head and act like your totally in to the music

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 12:19:48 PM »
most important tip you can get.....

if someone spots you....wave smile or look at them right in the eyes.... and act normal....bob your head and act like your totally in to the music
totally agree if you look like you belong doing what you are doing SOME people will let you do what you are doing
if you shit they will know you are in the wrong and you are screwed
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline yolanda

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 10:33:51 AM »
this thread, on this site ?    ???
this makes no sence....... whatever you do dont use some anal tapers audio....
or youll get some lawyer threats.. from folks on this site...   thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 10:46:35 AM by yolanda »

wilsondmb

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 01:05:43 PM »
some people just have trouble being team players

Offline yolanda

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 01:45:13 PM »
nah, i wil never ask this site for anything...ever...  never met folks that get hard ons from ruining peoples good times.. until now....
                                               adios amebas

Offline WolfmanDMB

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 03:01:13 PM »
 :flipa:
video rig: light > canon zr70mc > minidv

audio rig: sp c4's > ps-2 > ad-20 > jb3

Offline bossanova

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 02:21:25 PM »
Try  www.pedcopods.com

Use the ultrapod as an extra handgrip,
you can strap it around your wrist.

Offline nicky007k

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 12:39:51 PM »
Hey everybody, my first post, great forum love it!

My buddy and I used a monopod last year to film a show from the lawn, it was great for stability, yet was also mobile, and low profile.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com