Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Synching 24 bit 96kHz audio to video DVD  (Read 8333 times)

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
Re: Synching 24 bit 96kHz audio to video DVD
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 04:48:53 PM »
I found this somewhere...

The audio data on a DVD movie can be PCM, DTS, MP2, or Dolby Digital (AC-3) format. In countries using the NTSC standard any movie should contain a sound track in (at least) either PCM or Dolby AC-3 format; any NTSC player must support these two formats, the others being optional. This ensures any standard compatible disc can be played on any standard compatible player. The vast majority of commercial NTSC releases today employ AC-3 audio. The official allowed formats for the audio tracks on a DVD Video are:

* PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit L-PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6144 kbit/s
    * AC3: 48 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 5 (6) channels, up to 448 kbit/s
    * DTS: 48 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1536 kbit/s)
    * MPEG-1 Layer 2: Europe only, 48 kHz

Here's the thing, even if you can use 24/96, you're risking that the viewer's DVD player may not be able to decode it. Or if they are lightpiping it to their receiver, the receiver may not be able to handle it. Basically, you're pushing it IMO. But, maybe even more importantly, I'm betting that YOU WILL run into space problems on the DVD. Take a two-hour concert and think about how big a 24/96 PCM file is going to be. You might not have anything left on the disk for the video? This is why most movies are AC3/DD or DTS, and this is where your 48 kHz comes into play. So, pretty much every player out there can handle 48, but after that you may run into player that can't handle more and you're also going to have space problems. Now maybe dual-layer might help, but not sure. And, BTW, I am no expert on this, so I could easily be wrong.

I have never seen a DVD player that won't play 24/96. They are probably out there. I have seen plenty of DVD players that won't play Dual-Layer discs, including mine. For that reason I like normal size DVD's (4.7). Also my Microtrack can really only do 24/48, without restarting a file every hour. That is my main reason for using 24/48. If I could record easily at 24/96, I would probably only make dual layer DVD's, because I am all about the sound.

Now I need a new camera, because I'm getting to critical of Video quality.

mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

spearheadtaper

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Synching 24 bit 96kHz audio to video DVD
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 02:16:27 AM »
final cut pro supports 24/96 plenty of room if your doing dual layer....just sync song by song and you should be fine

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com