Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII  (Read 105387 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2006, 09:34:11 AM »
Yes, just finished fixing it. I can live with these issues as long as it's repeatable.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70753.msg949607#msg949607

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2006, 10:44:09 AM »
That is just a header issue.  Your 2:15 file is over 2gb.
So 2GB files always have a 'bad' header?
Or is it just the program on the PC/Mac complaining if it does not support >2GB WAVs while the header is OK?

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »
Or is it just the program on the PC/Mac complaining if it does not support >2GB WAVs while the header is OK?

I'm not sure about this. When I first ran the 4GB file test on fw v1.02, I was successfully able to open the 4GB files with wavelab and cdwav without the bad header symptoms. I don't recall what the r-09 reported for file sizes or trying to play the file back on the r-09.

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2006, 11:58:22 AM »

No that is not the case.

I think the problem is that the R-09 is not *reliably* writing headers wav files that are recorded after a file has already been recorded and stored on the same 4GB card. Maybe this is just a firmware issue since the current firmware technically dosen't support 4GB cards.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2006, 01:30:20 PM »

No that is not the case.

I think the problem is that the R-09 is not *reliably* writing headers wav files that are recorded after a file has already been recorded and stored on the same 4GB card. Maybe this is just a firmware issue since the current firmware technically dosen't support 4GB cards.

I think that is the key, reliably.  At one time or another, I've had several files on the 4Gb card that in various combinations, have exceeded 2 Gb in total.  This was the first time I had a file that was not recognized by the R-09, which I think is due to header problems. But it was a 1.2 Gb file that has a problem; the other 1.2 Gb file on the card is fine.  From what George described, our problems are the same.  I haven't had time to try to fix my file yet, but hope to tonight.  So it seems that there are still several variables that trigger this problem and no one consistent factor except for the 4Gb Transcend card. 
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline enaudible

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2006, 03:48:51 PM »
I have isolated one problem, perhaps a little different, and I haven't tried fixing it yet -

Using a 4 GB Transcend, the first file I write always says "SD card slow" at the beginning and then says "improper song" when I try to play it back. The second and subsequent files are all fine, its just the first file after powering up.

I haven't tried fixing the "improper songs" yet as they won't open on any of my software and I haven't figured out the header thing yet. Also, I formatted to NTFS and haven't reformatted to FAT32 to see if that fixes my problem. Regardless, it is very consistent if anyone runs into the same thing. So for the last few recordings I just do a 1 sec file and stop and start a new recording. I'll post when I reformat to see if that solves the problem...

edited for accidental crudeness...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:29:06 PM by enaudible »

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2006, 07:08:30 PM »
I am now a member of the R09 club... ran for the 1st time on Friday night and had mostly good luck.  I will stick to the R09 issues here, others will have their own threads :)

I was able to run for about 3 hours on a standard set of Energizer Alkaline batteries, FYI

I was able to run at the input level of 8 for Sheryl Crow, but had to run at 5 for John Mayer... what did I loose by having to force the unit to use the onboard Pre-Amp?  At 8 I was hitting the peak light.

Lastly, I have 2 4gb Transcend cards.  One came with my R09 and was formatted and working correctly and fine in the unit already (unit was used) and a brand new one from NewEgg I had to format in an external card reader before the R09 would use it... then I reformatted it via a USB cable while the card was loaded in the R09.

When I got home, the Mayer WAV file (80 minutes, under 2gb) would not copy via a card reader, but would just fine when the R09 was hooked to the PC.

The other card (sorry, i lost track of which card was which) would not read at all in the card reader, but read the card and files fine when the R09 was hooked to the PC.

Any thoughts on the reading problems or on the levesl for Mayer?

TIA

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #292 on: August 29, 2006, 06:05:36 AM »
A lot of card readers have problems with 4GB SD cards in general, and the
Transcend icard n particular.  The firmware in the reader can't figure out how to
deal with 4GB.  You might be able to find a firmware update for your card
reader online.  If not, a simple solution is to purchase a USB 2.0 card reader from
Transcend, about $15.  Here's the link

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS-RD13B

There's a new standard for large SD cards called SD High Capacity (SDHC).
This fixes the issues that standard SD cards have when their capacity is
extended beyond 2GB.  I expect that new digital cameras and audio
recorders designed for SDHC will reach the market soon. 

The SDHC standard was designed to be incompatible with the
original SD.  You won't be able to use SDHC products in SD readers.  However,
a machine designed with SDHC in mind will be able to read and write to the
original SD cards.

At some point Edirol will introduce a new version of the R-09 that
adheres to the SDHC standard, and all the issues with 4GB cards will go away.

Flintstone

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #293 on: August 29, 2006, 01:01:54 PM »
I was able to run at the input level of 8 for Sheryl Crow, but had to run at 5 for John Mayer... what did I loose by having to force the unit to use the onboard Pre-Amp?  At 8 I was hitting the peak light.

greg,
i'm not too familiar with the VMS02ib that you use.  is that fixed or adjustable gain?  running lower than 8 is just asking you to use the R09 pre to attenuate the signal.  if you are at fixed gain w/ your VMS, then you have to rely on the R09 pre to help you out so that you dont peak.  i taped on friday and started out at 8 but had to adjust soon after to raise/lower (cant remember now) levels but really had no other choice.  i was running my Nbox into the R09.  hope that helps.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #294 on: August 29, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »
Also, I formatted to NTFS and haven't reformatted to FAT32 to see if

I myself am completely baffled why anyone would format the card to NTFS.
It's even more significant that the R09 would support NTFS! (NTFS requires more resources to handle due to the complexity (relative to FAT32))

Offline enaudible

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #295 on: August 29, 2006, 03:27:13 PM »
Re: NTFS

I formatted to NTFS because I thought that the idea behind it was to allow better handling of large files by the drive in question. Generally a standard for video and audio editing on a large scale (files greater than 4 GB minus 2 bytes) (according to my father the recording engineer). Anyway, my computer knowledge is limited... And who knows, maybe the Edirol manual says something about this  ::)

My audio/video edit drive on my computer is formatted to NTFS, because I have the occassional >4GB file. Granted this is irrelevant for the R-09 since my card is 4GB, unless you maybe had a 4 GB continuous that was 2 bytes too big? Speculation. Regardless, FAT32 may give less problem. For now, I guess I have contributed a minute portion of knowledge re: the R-09 - it works with NTFS with a very specific glitch on initial file writes. If an 8 GB card was compatible, and you needed a >4GB file, then NTFS would be needed.

Anyway, this explanation was just to possibly de-baffle the baffled  ???

edit for research - if you care to look www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:32:14 PM by enaudible »

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #296 on: August 29, 2006, 10:37:38 PM »
i'm not too familiar with the VMS02ib that you use.  is that fixed or adjustable gain?  running lower than 8 is just asking you to use the R09 pre to attenuate the signal.  if you are at fixed gain w/ your VMS, then you have to rely on the R09 pre to help you out so that you dont peak.  i taped on friday and started out at 8 but had to adjust soon after to raise/lower (cant remember now) levels but really had no other choice.  i was running my Nbox into the R09.  hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply!  The VMS02ib is the earlier Schoeps pre-amp, and it is fixed.  I can turn it on and let it run, that is about it (basically) - Greg

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #297 on: August 31, 2006, 06:53:36 PM »
Well kind of off topic...

Say, has anyone who purchased the Transcend 4GB SD cards from newegg.com gotten their mail-in rebate yet?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #298 on: August 31, 2006, 08:24:22 PM »
Well kind of off topic...

Say, has anyone who purchased the Transcend 4GB SD cards from newegg.com gotten their mail-in rebate yet?

No but I got an e-mail saying it was going to be mailed shortly. Along with a page where I could check the status
Retired Taper

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #299 on: September 05, 2006, 11:37:55 PM »
Hey all -

Curious on the consesus on going Line In versus Mic In with the R-09?

With my old decks (D7 and JB3), I'm used to going Line In. I've read most of the posts in this thread, but I'm sure there's a couple I didn't see, so figured I'd ask.

My current rig is this (stealth mode is all I do):
Core Sound Cards > CS BB > SP-PREAMP > R-09

As for types of music I record, it's mainly loud rock shows  in clubs. Where I'm finding that the closer to the speakers/stacks I can get, the better results I'm getting...

Looking forward to using the R-09 for the first time tomorrow night - woohoo!  :D

Thanks !!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com