Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: does the warm mod affect ua5 rear rca inputs (like the sbm1 line stage rebuild)?  (Read 5991 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
or does it only affect the xlr inputs..?

thanks for the information...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Phil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
No, not the rca's, only the XLR's but it does disable the 1/4" input on the front.
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline macdaddy

No, not the rca's, only the XLR's but it does disable the 1/4" input on the front.

ok - so the headphone style jacks are a no-go, but everything else functions per the manual. the warm mod only then affects the xlr inputs, and no the rca's. is the line in stage of the rca's OK, or is it something i should think about wanting to change...

rca > xlr is doable, right..?

specifically maybe making a patch cord ( 2x female rca > male xlr) would do the trick.

how long of a run could i have..?

i go heb > modSBM-1 now. that mod is the oade line stage rebuild, whic is classified as a "warm" mod, and that a>d is a perfect compliment to the dpa 4060 mics and their transparency. as noted above, i have the heb set up, so the mics go mini-xlr into the core-sound batt box, and then they terminate in 2x rca males (to feed the sbm-1 line input)...

so i figure a heb > warm ua-5 > usb > laptop will get me into the 24/96 dept. with the mic setup that i have now...

you are saying that using the rca ins will not use the warm mod portion of the ua-5, but if i used a rca > xlr patch cable, into the xlr inputs of the ua5 (with phantom power OFF), i would be running the hebs through the warm mod ua-5, right..?

when i wanna do vinyl transfers of my stones boot lps, or cassette transfers, then i go straight into the rca's in the back to get the "colourless transfer" (or get a tmod ua5 and run the rca's from the front with the same style patch cords i need now)...

is that about right..?

thanks for any and all input...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 11:36:24 AM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
    • BitTorrentMusic.com

ok - so the headphone style jacks are a no-go, but everything else functions per the manual. the warm mod only then affects the xlr inputs, and no the rca's. is the line in stage of the rca's OK, or is it something i should think about wanting to change...

No, nothing happens to the 1/4" headphone jack, I was refering to the dual xlr / 1/4" inputs.  They lose the 1/4" input functionality.

rca > xlr is doable, right..?

specifically maybe making a patch cord ( 2x female rca > male xlr) would do the trick.

how long of a run could i have..?

Yes, rca > xlr is doable and will have the warm color, a patch cord or quality adapters will also work. As far as how long, I'm not sure, the shorter the better IMO, 6' would be cool though.

so i figure a heb > warm ua-5 > usb > laptop will get me into the 24/96 dept. with the mic setup that i have now...

seems like some folks can run 24bit ua-5 > usb > laptop without any problems and some folks can't run it at all. I guess it depends on laptop and capturing software. I used a compaq 600mhz laptop > wavlab4.0 for a while and had very little problems going 24bit usb, but only stayed at 48.  96, might be a problem.

you are saying that using the rca ins will not use the warm mod portion of the ua-5, but if i used a rca > xlr patch cable, into the xlr inputs of the ua5 (with phantom power OFF), i would be running the hebs through the warm mod ua-5, right..?

correct...

when i wanna do vinyl transfers of my stones boot lps, or cassette transfers, then i go straight into the rca's in the back to get the "colourless transfer" (or get a tmod ua5 and run the rca's from the front with the same style patch cords i need now)..

correct!

You've got it.  If you want the color, you should build good quality, rca > xlr patch cord and have the phantom power off.  Use the peak light on the ua-5 and meeters on your recording software to monitor levels.  You can use the 1/4 headphone for monitoring but it is not very loud.  Enjoy!

Offline macdaddy

another T in 12...

thanks phil.

so what computers/software have people had successs with..?

i was hoping to use my apple ibookg4 and audacity...

but i also have a winxp laptop that i could use.

and short of homebrew (diy) - where might i look for the kind of cables i am looking for..?

again, many thanks.
-macdaddy ++

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
another T in 12...

thanks phil.

so what computers/software have people had successs with..?

i was hoping to use my apple ibookg4 and audacity...

but i also have a winxp laptop that i could use.

and short of homebrew (diy) - where might i look for the kind of cables i am looking for..?

again, many thanks.

No problem  8)

Audacity + ibookg4 = good 

I think a lot of folks run XP + Wavelab with varying success.  If you do run XP, use these tweeks http://www.micsupply.com/laptopoptimizing.htm

As for cables, these would work great! http://kindkables.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=5&osCsid=8d2a7e26561c6fc477bdcf0263c80f54

Or there are some folks on this board that also make great cables.

Offline macdaddy

nice!

phil - thanks for all the info.

those cables look good, except i would really refer to have female RCA ends on one side and male xlr on the other (the heb setup i have terminates in 2x RCA male plugs)...

glad to know that the ibook/audacity combo should work for 24/96. i will be bench testing everything soon...

-macdaddy ++

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
I am not sure if Phil's info is correct.  I asked Doug himself about the T+ mod and the RCA inputs in the rear being improved by the mod....he said yes.  Now that is the plus mod so I do not know if it affects the standard W and T mods.  FWIW, I have run the T+ mod a few times with a Sax in front and it is much better than the XLR ins (mic-pre) of this moded version.  And it is definitely as Doug said, the improvement in detail and noise floor is astonishing over the stock digi moded UA-5...it is a poor man's V3 (the mic-pre part is not though).

I have used a SONY SR27K lappy and Wavelab 4 with the UA-5, seems like it worked (didn't listen to it repeatedly).

Offline macdaddy

well, i am gonna call oade about the unit anyway - not sure if i want to do the + mod, but i certainly dont see why not...

i just figured that the box would give me some room to grow - i could use my heb setup with it now, which should go well with a warm mod, and then, later on, when i get a soundfield or something, i could run that into the ua5, as well..

so even with the oade rebuild, the mic-in pre isnt that good..? should i be running the HEB mics into the line-ins on the back, or the xlr in on the front (with the phantom power off)..? i know i can do both, but which would be preferable(sp)...?
-macdaddy ++

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
mac, I am not saying the mod is horrible at the mic-pre end.  The sax sounded heaps better with that in front thru the RCAs than the mod mic pre.  I think Doug is moding the line stage of the thing.  The mods have always been about the Line stage...not the micpre stage, the plus mod changes things in the powering of the mics thru phantom and other power supply changes which in turn lower the noise floor.  I would continue to use the XLRs b/c if you turn the gain on the RCA rear part beyond 3 oclock with the non-plus mod, you will start to hear noise.  I have never heard noise form the plus mod even with it turned all the way up on the back.

Roving Sign

Looks like all the UA5 info has been pulled off the Oade site...(perhaps)

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/Digital_Converters/Edirol_UA5.html

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I am not sure if Phil's info is correct.  I asked Doug himself about the T+ mod and the RCA inputs in the rear being improved by the mod....he said yes.  Now that is the plus mod so I do not know if it affects the standard W and T mods.  FWIW, I have run the T+ mod a few times with a Sax in front and it is much better than the XLR ins (mic-pre) of this moded version.  And it is definitely as Doug said, the improvement in detail and noise floor is astonishing over the stock digi moded UA-5...it is a poor man's V3 (the mic-pre part is not though).

I have used a SONY SR27K lappy and Wavelab 4 with the UA-5, seems like it worked (didn't listen to it repeatedly).

The standard W, T mods have no modding of the RCA inputs.  The + plus mods are the only ones that mod the RCA's...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline macdaddy

Looks like all the UA5 info has been pulled off the Oade site...(perhaps)

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/Digital_Converters/Edirol_UA5.html

gotta love the wayback machine...

i think this was the last updated page...

Quote from: from the oade.com page:
#

Oade Brothers Audio Offers two mods for the UA5 !

# The first mod enables the digital coax and optical outputs for stand alone operation without a computer. It can also be used with a computer to output data simultaneously to a both coax and optical digital connectors, in addition to your computer ! The mod disables the digital output from a computer to the UA5 via the USB port, so you cannot send data from the computer to the UA5 on the USB buss. This does not affect your ability to record with it, only your ability to send data from your hard drive to the UA5 via USB.
# The second series of MODs add an analog input rebuild. This replaces the input capacitors, which are SMD electrolytic ( higher distortion and noise) with SMD film caps ( lower distortion and noise) as well as the input Op Amps. We use very high grade, very low noise Op Amps for this, chosen by ear for a natural and pleasing sound. Three versions are available to suit the tastes and needs of any recordist. The first is the Warm MOD © which gives the UA5 a warmer sound, with better depth and high frequency character. Tube like in character with a huge soundstage that satisfies the tube lover ! The second "flavor" available is the Presence MOD©, chosen by ear for a maximum clarity and detail. This mod gives the UA5 a more "up front" sound, with better presence and high frequency detail. The third version available is the Transparency MOD©, chosen by ear for a neutrality, speed and detail. This mod gives the UA5 a very fast and clean sound that accurately conveys the character of the source. All three MODs disable the 1/4" inputs on the front panel, leaving the front panel XLR's and rear panel RCA inputs intact. For computer only use, any of the three analog input MODs can be ordered without the digital output MOD.
# We also offer a PLUS MOD that can be applied to any of the three analog input MODs. This further reduces noise and distortions in the UA5 by improving the DC supplies, phantom power and RCA inputs.

Warm MOD (WMOD), Presence MOD (PMOD) and Transparency MOD (TMOD) Copyright 2003, 2004 by Doug Oade
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 01:26:31 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
mac, I am not saying the mod is horrible at the mic-pre end.  The sax sounded heaps better with that in front thru the RCAs than the mod mic pre.  I think Doug is moding the line stage of the thing.  The mods have always been about the Line stage...not the micpre stage, the plus mod changes things in the powering of the mics thru phantom and other power supply changes which in turn lower the noise floor.  I would continue to use the XLRs b/c if you turn the gain on the RCA rear part beyond 3 oclock with the non-plus mod, you will start to hear noise.  I have never heard noise form the plus mod even with it turned all the way up on the back.

I'll have to play with it for a while to see what sounds best. Running the 148 > warm UA5 through the rear rca's made a huge difference in floor noise without the 148 IMO. b
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
This mention that the warm mod disables the front 1/4" inputs makes me wonder... does the transparent mod do the same?  I was thinking about using the inputs to record some studio-ish stuff....

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
I'm pretty sure any oade mod disables the front 1/4
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com