Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax XLR outs question  (Read 6397 times)

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
Sonosax XLR outs question
« on: November 13, 2003, 03:16:08 PM »
I have been using the mini out > to rca in of my modsmb1 and while it works fine, I was thinking of using the XLR outs because of the better connections. I believe the xlr outs are balanced, would I be able to just run these XLR outs > rcas of the modsbm1 or would I have to unbalance first ? How would I do this?  :help:

Kinda strange that I have never thought of doing this before, but well now I am . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Sonosax XLR outs question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 08:22:29 PM »
Yes, you can run XLR > RCA on the sbm-1.  I run XLR out of my PSP-2 into the RCA in's on my sbm-1.

You'll either have to buy some custom XLR to RCA cables, or make them yourself. Since the XLR is balanced and the RCA is not, you would have to unbalance the cable at the RCA end. To do this, simply solder the XLR ends like you usually would on a mic cable. At the RCA ends, you are going to want to solder both the low/negative/cold (choose your term of preference) and the sheild/ground together. This means that on the RCA end, the high/positive/hot (pin 2 on XLR end) would be soldered to the tip of the RCA, while the other two pins from the XLR will be soldered together to the sleeve of the RCA.

Let me know if this just confused you.

-JB

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 09:16:23 PM »
that was perfect JB, great explaination

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 06:28:57 AM »
Yes, you can run XLR > RCA on the sbm-1.  I run XLR out of my PSP-2 into the RCA in's on my sbm-1.

You'll either have to buy some custom XLR to RCA cables, or make them yourself. Since the XLR is balanced and the RCA is not, you would have to unbalance the cable at the RCA end. To do this, simply solder the XLR ends like you usually would on a mic cable. At the RCA ends, you are going to want to solder both the low/negative/cold (choose your term of preference) and the sheild/ground together. This means that on the RCA end, the high/positive/hot (pin 2 on XLR end) would be soldered to the tip of the RCA, while the other two pins from the XLR will be soldered together to the sleeve of the RCA.

-JB

absolutely, JB.

XLR....................RCA
--------------------------

Pin2 (+).............Hot/Tip (+)
Pin1...................Shield
Pin3...................Shield
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 12:33:11 PM »

-JB

absolutely, JB.

XLR....................RCA
--------------------------

Pin2 (+).............Hot/Tip (+)
Pin1...................Shield
Pin3...................Shield

Well what I have gathered from some other folks is that I don't have to worry about unbalancing. I can just run an xlr>rca cable no problem. Sheesh ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 01:02:32 PM »

Well what I have gathered from some other folks is that I don't have to worry about unbalancing. I can just run an xlr>rca cable no problem. Sheesh ...

No, where is the cable from the pin 1 on the XLR going to go on the RCA end then? there are three connections on an XLR, and 2 on an RCA. The cable needs to be unbalanced at the unbalanced RCA connector.

-JB
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 01:03:05 PM by Jason B »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com