Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems with my Apogee AD-1000  (Read 3048 times)

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
Problems with my Apogee AD-1000
« on: June 17, 2004, 04:06:57 PM »
Im having problems with my beloved AD-1000. When I power the unit up everything goes fine and it locks to the crystal in no time. Unfortunately there is a strange buzz coming through the right channel, it almost sounds like a stuttering sound. I get this noise when running mic in, line in, 44 or 48k...no way to make it go away. The green -10 light basically stays lit up even when on mute. The left channel appears to be fine. Anybody have any clue as to what is going on here? Is this a sign of my Apogee dying? I dont know if this will make sense, but it almost sounds more like an analog noise than a digital noise. Are my only options at this point to send it in to Pro Digital? I know Apogee wont be much help, but is there anywhere else I can send this thing? I really don't want to give up my AD-1000 just quite yet. Im the 2nd owner and it still has under 150 hours total on it.
any help would be great.

Brian
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Problems with my Apogee AD-1000
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 04:19:22 PM »
prodig. maybe one of the pots is bad? sounds like something that may be fixable and not related to the wc or digi board, but who knows.

brian, it took me a loonnng time to get over missing my adk, but I'm pretty attached to the mme at this point, and honestly to my ears, sounds very similar. def. hated to give up on the 1000, though.

it might be worth it to call them and try to wrangle a trade-in. they did it for calico on this board, and essentially gave him a 500 or so break on a new mme, shipped from apogee. that's how I got mine too.

and if your issue is running a fixed gain pre, the screw pots are basically a non-issue at this point. couple of turns, and done. and it is *real* nice not to have to worry about anyone knocking the gain knobs off.  ;D

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 04:29:14 PM »
Sorry to hear. Hopefully it can be fixed. I love my 500e & plan to run it into the ground. Hopefully later than sooner.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline brianp

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 04:31:43 PM »
Well Im gonna call Paul at Pro Digital and get his opinion, if it's not related to the word clock and can be fixed for relatively cheap Im gonna stick with it. If it's too expensive I may look into a mini-me. I already have a Sonosax> mod SBM-1 and Im really loving my schoeps> sax> m sbm-1 tapes, so Ill probably just run that for a little while longer. 2004 has not been my year for taping, I've botched about half of the shows Ive seen so far, all due to hardware errors...2 D8 misloads, multiple Sonosax power issues, and now my Apogee going bad.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

marc0789

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 04:41:12 PM »
+t brian, things always get better. I had a horrible run earlier in the year...noise from smoke handlers, getting broken down by venue staff, but it always turns around. ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 06:13:22 AM »
yeah, my end of 03 sucked, i didnt pull a listenable copy for about 5 shows actually.

thats not the case now tho!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 11:47:45 AM »
long live the ad1k...

hope you get it fixed Brian!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 06:29:36 PM »
long live the ad1k...

Quoted for REAL-ness. ;)

Offline Divided

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Team Long Island
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 11:32:26 AM »
As a fellow AD1k owner myself, I can only offer my $.02

Since you say that it sounds like an analog noise and since you mentioned the -10 light being on even at mute.. perhaps it has something to do with the preamp? anyone anyone? or maybe it has something to do internally with the connection between the inputs and the control of the gain?

just throwing some ideas out there
DPA 4022 > ___ >Ad1k > VXPocket / DA-P1

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind -Humphrey Bogart

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 07:12:17 PM »
Brian:  There is a hot copy of my Tortoise show on dat using my own MiniMe on its way down to you, give it a listen, I think even a proven taper like you with the best hardware will approve, and this recording shows what the MiniMe can do for good to excellent mics, enjoy, Grider

marc0789

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 03:23:36 PM »
put the pre of your choice in front of the mme, and you won't hear the diff between a mme and 1k...but run right into the mme, and the bass will be pretty damn overpowering for loud rock shows. It's a joke how fat it sounds running 4022>mme. not bad, just waaayyy too tubby.

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 04:29:20 PM »
I agree with what Marc said completely. Run mic in the minime is just too damn tubby.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline brianp

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 05:21:30 PM »
Well, I still havent called Paul at Pro Digital about my ad-1000, too much of a slacker. So no idea what the culprit is.

I agree...no way Im running Schoeps> Mini-me (mic in) at this point... too much low-end. Ive been borrowing/using/patching from a V3 lately and so far Im pretty impressed with the results. This weekend will be the ultimate test for me running MK2S (high emphasis omnis) into the V3 at the All Good Festival. I never thought Id get a V3, but I may just do that if I like the tapes from All Good. I guess I need to run Schoeps> SX-M2> Mini-Me before I make a final decision though.

and for the record, Schoeps omnis run into a mod SBM-1 = way too much low-end.

Chris: your AKG 480> mini-me tapes are awesome, that must be the perfect match for the mini-me preamp.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

marc0789

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 10:25:31 AM »
I have a buddy who just got mk2s and mk4 to run in front of his mme. He was very happy with the results at tride bluegrass, I think running right into the mme punches up the bluegrass low end. But he ran mk4>mme at his first rock show, nmas, and immediately noticed the tub. I'm trying to talk him into a brick, but the woos is afraid of using the screwdriver. :P

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 01:50:07 PM »
Brian, I really liked the m148->V3 combo. Maybe try the Sax in front of the V3? I think that might get you closer to the sound you are looking for!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com