Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163716 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2014, 06:35:47 AM »
Roland have always suggested using the inner and the outer knobs, on the presumption (I suppose) that the user wants the levels maximised at the outset without resorting to using digital gain in post production.  (And of course they have to justify having both knobs provided on the device!) Hopefully most users of this device are inherently of the kind of person who will be aware of the downsides of applying digital gain during recording.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #196 on: February 26, 2014, 12:26:21 PM »
Roland have always suggested using the inner and the outer knobs, on the presumption (I suppose) that the user wants the levels maximised at the outset without resorting to using digital gain in post production.  (And of course they have to justify having both knobs provided on the device!) Hopefully most users of this device are inherently of the kind of person who will be aware of the downsides of applying digital gain during recording.

I have had occasion to use the digital gain when I was feeding two CD burners from the outputs of the R-44 (sbd & aud) and needed the levels to be higher. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't use it. And since I have AC when running the CD burner, I now use an 8 channel preamp and feed both the burner and R-44 from it.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2014, 11:00:34 PM »
I've used a stock R44 as my main deck for a number of years now. In all that time it has been 100% solid and reliable with digital and/or analog inputs. My only serious criticism of it was the tiny level meters.

Tonight I downloaded and installed the latest firmware update. It includes a "zoom" function for the main level meters, which completely answers my past criticism. Now when I press the "DISP" button (the thin vertical one to the left of the STOP button), the level indicators for the four channels widen to cover the entire meter face as shown in the attached photo.

Very-low-level indications such as -48 and -36 dBFS go away in that mode, but they're still available from the default display.

--By the way, the simplest way to apply the update is to copy the "r44_update" folder from the ZIP file onto the memory card [edited in July, 2018; should be: copy the main.bin file from the ZIP file to the root folder of the memory card] via reader, rather than via USB cable hooked up to the recorder. Then put the memory card back into the recorder, and power it up as specified in the instructions. The actual update takes less than a minute.

--best regards

P.S. added July, 2018: The ZIP file containing the firmware update and complete, illustrated instructions is now on: https://proav.roland.com/global/support/by_product/r-44/updates_drivers/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:13:30 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »
I've used a stock R44 as my main deck for a number of years now. In all that time it has been 100% solid and reliable with digital and/or analog inputs. My only serious criticism of it was the tiny level meters.

Tonight I downloaded and installed the latest firmware update. It includes a "zoom" function for the main level meters, which completely answers my past criticism. Now when I press the "DISP" button (the thin vertical one to the left of the STOP button), the level indicators for the four channels widen to cover the entire meter face as shown in the attached photo.

Very-low-level indications such as -48 and -36 dBFS go away in that mode, but they're still available from the default display.

--By the way, the simplest way to apply the update is to copy the "r44_update" folder from the ZIP file onto the memory card via reader, rather than via USB cable hooked up to the recorder. Then put the memory card back into the recorder, and power it up as specified in the instructions. The actual update takes less than a minute.

--best regards

Sweet! I'll be updating firmware pronto...

+T

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2014, 08:09:25 AM »
Thank you for the info, DSatz! I had no idea that there was an update.

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »
I want to take this opportunity to say this once again - if I haven't said it often enough before - that my R-44 has been totally, undubitably, extremely rock solid and dependable, and that the only thing that I wish it had is at least one more channel.  :) ;D :D

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »
Cool. this thing is so reliable I never even think about checking the firmware updates. Here are notes on changes if anybody is curious:

From: http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=R-44&id=1812303

R-44 System Program (Ver.1.21)

This system program updates the R-44 system program to the latest version 1.21.

Products:R-44
How to know the version
Before you start, check the system program version of your R-44.

Turn R-44 power off.
    Hold down [DISP] and [↓](Down Cursor Button) and press [POWER] to switch on the power.
    Continue holding down [DISP] and [↓] until the version is displayed.

And then check the version of [MAIN] on the display of your R-44. After checking the version, press [POWER] to switch off the power.
* Version 1.20 or later does not require this update.
* You can update from any versions.

Update history
[Version 1.21]
[Additional Functions]
Please refer to the "R-44 Owner's Manual" for detailed information.

Automatic setting of input senses (Auto Sens)
    The optimal input level for the audio that is currently being input is automatically detected and the set value is displayed.
    Playlist Function
    A project is played in order of a playlist in an SD memory card.
    Meter Zoom
    The level meters can be displayed in a magnified view.

[Version 1.10]
[BUG FIX]

On Windows 7, MacOS X v10.6 or later, R-44 cannot communicate with a computer via USB after it wakes up from sleep state.

[CHANGE]

Changed the start-up screen of R-44.

[Version 1.05]
[IMPROVEMENT]

Got compatible with the latest BWF(Broadcast Wave Format) as much as possible while keeping compatibility with previously recorded files.

[BUG FIX]

At "MS Mic" Effect, wide control on ch.3 - ch.4 is unable and it causes no sound input for the ch.4.
    No effect on Pre-Rec part of the sound.
    Shutdown operation takes time such as 30sec when the SD card was locked.

[Version 1.03]
[IMPROVEMENT]

Compatibility improved with .WAV files made by LOGIC from Apple.
    Got compatible with 4-ch surround or WaveFormatExtensible files made by applications such as SONAR from Cakewalk.
    Shorter gap between recording start timing of two units in synchronized recording by the units linked each other through CTRL-SYNC connectors.

[BUG FIX]

Issues of compatibility with SD Cards.
    Counter digits might jump back for few seconds within few seconds of recording which is Pre-Rec activated.
    Signals might be easily distorted especially by negative values set at the Graphic EQ.
    Incorrect frequency response by negative values set at MID of "3 Band EQ" in 88.2/96kHz sampling rate modes.

Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2014, 07:42:40 PM »
^ same here....and I am always concerned with firmware updates but this has been out for a while now and I really like the view on the level meter so....
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2014, 08:02:03 PM »
I upgraded the firmware from 1.x>1.21 when I got the deck used late last year. Didn't realize this level view was available. :facepalm:

Can't wait to try the "new" meter view out in the field...

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »
The one quibble that have about this is that the "DISP" button is right next to the STOP button. So I am verrrrrrrry careful about pressing it during a recording.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2014, 01:53:32 PM »
Have we tested if the hold switch affects the disp button..? I know the hold switch prevents an accidental stop, but I don't know if it disables the disp button, too
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2014, 12:17:37 AM »
No you can't switch the DISP button while on hold. I'd like to see that function be available when on hold...

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
The one quibble that have about this is that the "DISP" button is right next to the STOP button. So I am verrrrrrrry careful about pressing it during a recording.

I have the same quibble with the "HOLD" switch on the R-44 being right next to the phantom power switch for channel 1.  Learned the hard way once that you should not accidentally switch off phantom power on any channel while you're recording.  :facepalm:

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2014, 01:24:43 AM »

I have the same quibble with the "HOLD" switch on the R-44 being right next to the phantom power switch for channel 1.  Learned the hard way once that you should not accidentally switch off phantom power on any channel while you're recording.  :facepalm:

I'm running AUD mics digi-in via a V3 and accepting line-level SBD feed via channels 3+4. I cover the p48 switches with tape so I can't make that mistake and accidentally back-feed p48 to the boards I'm patched in to...

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »
When I bought the unit from oade, I asked him to snip the buttons. I can still trigger with a toothpick if I need phantom, but I never use it, as I always do digi-in for ones and two and sbd if available for three and four. Consequently, I can reach in the bag blind and feel for the only switch and know it is hold, and switch it with confidence....
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com