Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: benchmark dac-1 mod  (Read 3326 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
benchmark dac-1 mod
« on: January 26, 2006, 08:19:04 AM »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: benchmark dac-1 mod
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:48:45 PM »
I emailed him just to see if he still does them.  if anyone is interested:

>>The mods to the Benchmark DAC 1 involve the addition of Bybee devices,
RF isolation of the power supply, cryo-genic treatment, and rewiring
the output to avoid unnecessary stages.

There are four regulated power rails in the DAC requiring four Bybee
purifiers. Optionally you could also add a large device to the
incoming AC. Each balanced connection needs two devices. You can
also treat the analog output requiring 2 for the unbalanced L+R or four
for the balanced outputs. It is more effective to treat inputs than
outputs, but additional benefit can come from treating outputs as well.
Unfortunately the Bybee purifiers are expensive, If you decided to
switch DACs in ten to twenty years you could always reuse them as they
don't go bad.

New Bybee slipstream devices are now $100 each including installation.

1.Cryo treatment is $75
2.RF cloth shielding of power from circuitry $50.
3.2 for analog power $200.
4.2 for digital power $200.
5.2 for unbalanced audio out $200.
6.4 for balanced audio out $400.
7.1 for coaxial digital input $100.
8.2 for balanced digital input $200.
9.upgrade RCA outputs to Cardas $50 or your choice $25 + parts.
10.Hi drive level Low Z RCA out mod $XX. (no longer required on new
DAC 1's)
11.upgrade diodes to fast soft recovery $100.

For reference the unit commented on had modifications
1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10,11 totaling $975, so it doubles the current price of
the stock DAC-1. The modified DAC-1 now rivals or surpasses $8k-$12k
Dacs. If you already have a DAC 1 you can send it to be modified, or I
have a small stock of DAC1's modified as described available for
$1950.

If you want something even better I can build a Pro DAC-104 into a new
or existing OM1 Quantum preamplifier for $2500. This includes the
equivalent of all 11 modifications above and then some, as two channels
are paralleled. Also included is a new DAC-104. In addition if the
DC-12 battery supply is used the DAC104 will be powered from super
regulated pure DC as well.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 02:23:20 PM »
Interesting. Thanks!

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 02:36:47 PM »
hmm, looks cool.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:25:48 PM »
I've heard nothing but great things about Bybee purifiers.  They can be used in mods like this or integrated into speaker cables, power cords, ICs, etc.  The effects are supposed to be cumulative--the more you use, the better the results.  At $80 each (for the purifier w/o labor), it can get pretty pricey if you implement them throughout a system.  I'm interested in adding some to my system (starting with speaker cables).  Anybody have any experience with them?
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 03:28:30 PM »
His writing is mind-numbingly bad.

I still wonder about the whole grounding issue with the transformer:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=pcaudio&m=7709

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 04:00:28 PM »
I've heard nothing but great things about Bybee purifiers.  They can be used in mods like this or integrated into speaker cables, power cords, ICs, etc.  The effects are supposed to be cumulative--the more you use, the better the results.  At $80 each (for the purifier w/o labor), it can get pretty pricey if you implement them throughout a system.  I'm interested in adding some to my system (starting with speaker cables).  Anybody have any experience with them?

I have five of them here and there in my system, what would you like to know?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 04:28:04 PM »

I have five of them here and there in my system, what would you like to know?

Are they really as great as they are reported to be?  Are they worth the money?  How do you use them?  I'm thinking of making "extension cords" for my speaker cables with a couple of Bybees that would attach to the speaker binding posts on one end and the cables on the other--Boulder Cable sells them but I will DIY.  This project is lower on my list of upgrades but could move up.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

BobW

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 01:29:49 PM »
aren't bybees just grossly overpriced ferrite beads ?

I'd hesistate to let anyone under the hood of a Benchmark.
You'd void their impressive and substantial warantee and may find yourself with a $ 2000 doorstop in a year when the modder is no longer available.

Just a thought, not an accusation.
As always, research your vendor/ modder completely and ask about warantees and documentation which would permit reversal or repair in the future.
Think about how long they are in their business and will they be there to support you down the 'pike ?
Benchmark's rep is stellar.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 07:30:48 PM by _Bob_ »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 09:31:20 AM »

My apologies for not responding sooner.  I have found bybees to benefit your system most when used on digital inputs/outputs as well as in critical power applications.  The results are a blacker background, better detail, extention of treble, etc.  As to whether they are worth the cost or not, that is a very subjective question...isn't all audiophile type gear though.  I have three bybee rca adapters using the silver slipstreams, and they were far from cheap but they were demo's, so that made the price a little easier to swallow to me.  I also have two bybee's built into the main L/R speaker outputs of my modded xr-45, and they certainly help.  I did a little DBT on myself about 9 months ago to see whether or not I could hear the differnce, and I could, so that told me what I wanted to know at the time.  I w2ouldn't call them a huge value, but a good one IMHO.  I would reccomend them AFTER your system has the ability to reveal micro/macrodynamics to the extreme, otherwise I kind of doubt that you will hear the differnce.  There are several places that will allow you to buy them and offer a 30 day money back trial.  Boldercable comes to mind, as does tweakgeek.com.  Give it a go and report back.  YMMV

D~
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.333 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com