Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 or AD-20 for use With JB3  (Read 3340 times)

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
UA-5 or AD-20 for use With JB3
« on: November 23, 2003, 11:26:43 AM »
I just bought a JB3 and Im lookling into getting a Pre amp A/d Converter ,

Which one ya think is the best bang for the buck??

Thank's In advance,

Nick
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re:UA-5 or AD-20 for use With JB3
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 11:43:19 AM »
Keep in mind with the AD-20, you'll still need power for your mics, which, depending...may cost you additional money.

I think the digi-mod UA-5 is better bang for the buck, hands down.  With the UA-5 you have the ability to:

[1] upgrade the pre later, either warm or presence mod from the Oades (see the V3/warm-mod-UA-5 comp done recently)
[2] output S/PDIF simultaneously for patchers
[3] receive an aux 3rd/4th input for SBD/AUD matrix, multi-mic mix, or SBD patch without attenuators
[4] select your sample rate
[5] run 24-bit when you make the switch

Aside from the much broader feature set, I personally like the sound better.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 12:06:37 PM »
ya ... just be warned, if you want to upgrade the pre later (the w-mod is sweet) you have to buy from oade to begin with .... which is far more expensive then say pickin one up from ebay.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 01:06:18 PM »
ya ... just be warned, if you want to upgrade the pre later (the w-mod is sweet) you have to buy from oade to begin with .... which is far more expensive then say pickin one up from ebay.
This is true.  There's a price for quality.   8)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 01:56:45 PM »
I'll jump in here with the other side, even though I think the advice above is great.

If you're concerned about your budget getting started, the AD-20 certainly costs less, especially if you're using mics that are internally powered.  Remember that you'll have to buy/build a power supply for the UA-5 as well, which can level the cost of phantom power.

For that matter, I love my AD-20.  It really cleans up the low end, which is great with most "starter" mics like the C1000s and the MK012s.  The Denecke PS-2 is a great choice for phantom power, but it's $150.  Rolls makes a unit called that PB224 that's $100 new, but I got one for $50 (shipped!) off their website as a "second" -- it was missing a rubber foot.  (I actually took the rest of them off to make it easier to fit in my case.)

These units both sound good, and both have some good points and bad points.  Neither of them have a good way to monitor levels (the UA-5 has peak lights, the AD-20 has nothing), but you can learn to use the meters on the NJB3.  Factor in the cost of a battery pack on the UA-5 or phantom on the AD-20.  The UA-5 does have a better upgrade path.

Have fun.  Check out some shows with each before you make a decision!

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

cpclark

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 02:10:49 PM »
if your talking stock ua-5, id go with the ad-20, i am a little biased but i have or now own both units, although the ua-5 has phantom, i just dont like the dry sound of the stock unit, i would go ad-20 first, and then if you feel the need to upgrade, go with the p or w mod from oade on the ua-5, .02, the ad-20 is the ultimate starter pre/ad IMHO

Offline RobC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 03:49:19 PM »
I own an AD-20 right now,  and my next purchase will be a Oade warm mod. UA-5.

I've been happy with the AD-20 but really like the sound of the mod UA-5 plus will have the options for higher bit rates and sampling.
km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 02:30:27 PM »
I used to own a Zefiro InBox (the "other" ad-20) and I now have an oade warm mod ua-5 and I have to say the ua-5 is worth 3 times the cash.   If you can afford the extra $$$, DO IT.  The ua-5 seems to handle clips better and you at least have a -3dB peak light you can see from across the room.  I've also had problems with the coax 1/8" jack on the Zefiro/Denecke.   Otherwise the ad-20 is a decent starter piece.  

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 07:28:31 PM »
Depends on the application.  Goodluck stealthing the UA-5.  I can't thank armen enough for letting me use his AD-20 recently.  It's made my recordings 10 times more detailed.  However, you will get far more mileage out of one of the modUA-5 boxes.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 11:32:07 AM »
I'll jump in here with the other side, even though I think the advice above is great.

If you're concerned about your budget getting started, the AD-20 certainly costs less, especially if you're using mics that are internally powered.  Remember that you'll have to buy/build a power supply for the UA-5 as well, which can level the cost of phantom power.

FYI - I spent about $600 in the past month on a wmod UA-5 ($500 + shipping), batteries (http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?3=49) ($60 w/ shipping), and about $20 to make the cord to power the UA-5 w/ batteries...

But, it sounds very nice.   I have no reference, as this is the first pre I have owned, but I  dig it.

HTH-
Pfife
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline wsp12

• Taperssection Member
  • Dood these tapes suck!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 01:50:36 PM »
If you buy the UA5 from Oade's and you don't have the money to get it modded right now then you can always get it done later, also i don't see where the sound of the unmodded is that bad i been running one for a couple months, although it's not the greatest in the world surely it is not as bad as what people make it out to be, I think that for the money you will spend on the ad-20 which is about the same as an umodded UA5 with a digital out mod, you willl get more from the UA5 then the ad-20 Mike
Need to get a rig and get out to more shows

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com