Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Left mic clips and is staticy, but... (FOLLOW UP)  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Argitoth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Left mic clips and is staticy, but... (FOLLOW UP)
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:14:33 PM »
Previously on Tapersection.com... To be continued... until now!

So, Microphone Madness sent me a modified mic with mono left and right connectors (instead of single stereo connector). All the problems ARE NOT solved.

I desparately need noise reduction software. Can you suggest me one? I've been looking at iZotope RX and I'm ready to spend some money, however, I am a noob and I don't want to fall into the trap of "buy the first thing you see." I have one immediate question. Does noise reduction software generally preserve sounds like shakers which almost sound like whitenoise in nature?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:15:42 PM by Argitoth »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Left mic clips and is staticy, but... (FOLLOW UP)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:42:42 PM »
Nice to read that the problem has been found and cured.

wrt noise reduction: can't offer any advice since the only times I tried it, I wasn't pleased with the results and kept the original file unaltered. I know izotope makes some good products and some folks love them. I've never tried one of their products (or plugins). Perhaps someone who has will post their thoughts.

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:00:31 PM »
You know I called Sweetwater for some advice on noise reduction. I told one guy I was going to be creating a sample library and he strongly suggested I use Cubase Wavelab. He mentioned stuff like audio editing, dithering, normalization, but I don't understand why I can't use what I usually use for audio editing. He suggested wavelab specifically because I said I was going to create a sample library.

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm still having problems with the Korg. After doing some testing, a guy from the Korg support told me to get a replacement. There were problems such as buzzing when near metallic objects, high pitched drones when the battery pack is turned on, and more buzzing when the korg is connected to its power supply.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:34:18 PM by Argitoth »

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:44:45 AM »
You know I called Sweetwater for some advice on noise reduction. I told one guy I was going to be creating a sample library and he strongly suggested I use Cubase Wavelab. He mentioned stuff like audio editing, dithering, normalization, but I don't understand why I can't use what I usually use for audio editing. He suggested wavelab specifically because I said I was going to create a sample library.

That's misinformation. Probably because they make most $$$ selling wavelab, or he uses it.

Of course you can use any wave editor you want. But also if you want to embed loop-points etc as meta data in the file you need an editor that can do it.

Audacity is free http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ and had a lot of neat NR features along with basic multi-tracking. Great place to start.

digifish.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:47:08 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 04:40:59 AM »
Digifish, you are too late. I purchased iZotope RX and I'm a very happy owner. Its noise reduction is absolutely superb. However, the nature of the buzzing from the mics, it's almost impossible to get rid of, noise reduction won't help too much. I'm still communicating with Korg and Microphone Madness to resolve the issue. However, it's beginning to seem like the issue will never be solved due to the mic not being compatible with the Korg.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:42:51 AM by Argitoth »

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:15:16 AM »
I really don't like rx..or any other noise reduction for that matter for anything other than an emergency which yours sounded like. I find it to be a very digital sounding destructive edit.. I had hoped rw would be the shit as they touted it big time at AES. I have a korg mr-1000 as well and have gotten 5 for friends and people at motb. We had one that failed like you talked about out of box. they replaced it and it is perfect...

My bad I didn't listen to your sample so this might be way off base... The input to the mic pre is sensitive. You need to be on low gain if you are in high spl with many mics... you could use a -10 to -15db pad on the input to the korg to help from over loading the input to the mic pre if you are not using an external pre... The external pre can be driven as well.... For get it if you are using the mr-1 that is way more sensitive....

For example a pair of dpa4060's in a hat close to stacks will over drive the input to the mic pre. You need a pad as described above. It is still possible to dial in the right gain for the recording but the input could be distorted... The distortion can be on very particular frequencies as well. I am working on a menke transfer of 'Rhino's' Jerry Garcia 11-17-75. HE was back just enough to be directly in line of the stacks. THe recording is stellar except when Jerry sings high and load and then the pre gets over loaded... And distorts. This is not the case for the rest of the lod frequencies just jerry's voice... :-(

So to wrap up the ramblings it could be due to 2 factors or both.. One a bad korg or two an over loaded pre... Or both.. Or I could be talking out my ass and be totally wrong ROFL...

Hope this helps

A :D

B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 06:40:10 PM »
It's pretty clear now that the buzzing is due to a shielding problem with the mics.

Point 1: Putting my finger on the Korg screen causes my mics to buz (this is not the case with the korg bundled mic)
Point 2: Putting the cords of the mics near the korg screen causes buzzing (this is not the case with the korg bundled mic)
Point 3: The the guy from Korg says that the korg bundled mic is split almost near the connectors thus results in better shielding.
Point 4: The mics I am using are two totally separate wires.

Conclusion: My mics are not shielded and I should call the company of the mics to do something about this.

Aegret, I know exactly what you mean by a digital sound, however I think you are a ****bit**** biased. Firstly, the digital sound you hear is due to the frequencies of the sound spectrum of the file being randomly taken away. That is because the noise reduction algorythm is attempting to catch the random frequencies of white noise and other stuff. Now, you probably know that already. However, what you may not know is this: (oh and a disclaimer I only have experience with RX's noise reduction and the following is speculation)

Noise reduction algorythms are extremely sensitive. One tiny tap, one tipy blip, one tiny click when retrieving a noise profile will throw the noise totally off and it will start removing precious frequencies that will cause an inconsistency with the sound spectrum resulting in audible warbling. What I suggest is to get what I might call a noise profile of your setup. You have to go into a dead silent location and record silence with your setup. That will give you the noise profile. You can then use that as your nosie profile for all your recordings with that specific setup. Always reduce noise in moderation unless you are confident that the quality will remain with high noise reduction. Do not attempt to get a noise profile of a non-dead-silent location.

Maybe you know all that already, but maybe you don't know this one!:

With iZotope RX, you don't have to reduce the noise of the entire sound spectrum. You can get apply noise reduction ONLY on the lower frequencies. That will result in the preservation of the higher frequencies in which is most susceptible to the warbling effect of bad noise reduction. In addition, it's harder to hear higher frequency noise.

Edit: One obvious thing I forgot to mention you may already know is that noise reduction causes the most problems when removing nosie from a recording with loud AND sound sounds. What I'm basically trying to say is that you should give noise reduction a chance and use it very carefully to achieve recordings with a little bit less noise. That little bit can make a difference.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 06:50:12 PM by Argitoth »

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 06:52:14 PM »
OK AEGERT, TIME TO PUT THE MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!: http://www.elanhickler.com/misc/elan_recording_001.mp3

This is a recording made with my Korg MR-1 and my buzzy mics. In this mp3 there are two recordings. Now you must tell me if one or both of the recordings used noise reduction.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 04:01:46 PM by Argitoth »

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 06:02:02 PM »
One other thing I forgot to mention that I discovered about nosie reduction. If you capture the sound of, say, a barking dog. That sound will be recorded along with whatever natural ambiences are around. One use of noise reduction is to heavily reduce the noise surrounding that barking dog sound so that you can cut and paste it elsewhere if for example you are trying to create an ambience for a movie scene where there's a barking dog. This heavy noise reduction would be noticeable when listening to that bark by itself. HOWEVER! It will not be noticeable if you paste the bark sound in another ambience.

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 07:29:33 PM »
Alright, so MicrophoneMadness.com is sending me mics with one stereo connection. I'll use my Y-connector again in this case and hopefully the problems will be gone. There's also going to be some change in how the mics are shielded, some different material or something *shrug*

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com