Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to record a show(equipment) !!!  (Read 3497 times)

Offline justforsabbath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How to record a show(equipment) !!!
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:07:36 PM »

I am a newbie and I want to learn how people record a good quality concert show.What equipment we require to record a concert.what type of mics etc.
How to Bootleg a show??

See I have a Iriver H10 20gb mp3 player and what I need is a mic, and how do I integrate and record.I dont have enough funds to buy a expensive Recorder.So what can I do,what do I need to buy, if any alternative plzz let me know.

Need Help????

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: How to record a show(equipment) !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »
Start by reading some things here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

But FIRST. Do not call recording, "bootlegging" unless you are planning on selling your recordings. If that's the case I wouldn't tell anyone here.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline justforsabbath

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:10:52 PM »
Well I am sorry about referring recording with Bootlegging, I am from India and I certainly have no intentions of selling stuff.Being a fan of Metal music, this is one of the worst stuff you can do so Dont worry about me selling stuff.I am just there always to share.

It would be great if you could help me out !!!

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:40:07 PM »
This question is asked on this board quite often, so you might not get a very detailed response.  It's not because people aren't willing to help because this is really a great place to learn everything you want to know about taping.  I notice that someone has already pointed you to the starting out place, but I would also suggest using the search tool to search this forum for threads where the same question has aleady been asked in one way or another. 

For example, it is difficult to know for sure how to answer your question because usually the first thing that you need to know is how much money you would like to invest in your rig.  That will help to determine what percentage you would be able to get in terms of microphones, preamp or battery box, cables, etc.

Once you know how much you are willing to spend, then you can use this list to research what are some of the most popular products in that price range.  One thing that you can count on is that if a piece of equipment is out there, then the people on this list have tried it and they've likely reported here what they think. 

If you're thinking about whether or not you want to try out a piece of equipment, one of the best things to do is visit www.archive.org and search for a show that was recorded using the same equipment as you are considering.  Then download one or two songs from that show to get a sound sample to determine if you like what you hear.  In general, the people on this list won't give you absolute suggestions because most people here realize that what one person likes in a recording may not appeal to the next person...so the best answer is for you to listen for yourself and make decision based on your own tastes.

So, don't get discouraged if your questions newbie questions don't get answered right away...just do some searching and you will for sure find out much more than you ever wanted to know about this great hobby.

Good luck!!!

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 10:48:08 PM »
As a followup to the other persons comment about the term bootlegs, you could read in another thread (see boelow) about how the people on this list interpret the term 'bootlegs'.  Unfortunately for people like you who are brand new and have no intention to offend anyone, this word is not a very popular word around here, so it's usually just not used.

Anyway, you can read some details about why in this thread...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,1152.0.html

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 11:55:14 PM »
justforsabbath,

Do everything everyone mentioned so far and you can also check out a couple websites to price some entry level mics... Don't know what is a little or a lot of money to you, but two good sites to see are:

http://stores.ebay.com/CHURCH-AUDIO - these mics are made by a member of this forum and from everything I read he is very knowledeable and even more importantly he is very helpful and customer service oriented.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com - This site has a good selection of mics in a wide price range... there is even a phone number you can call to ask questions about the mics.

there may be some other sites, but that will get you started... maybe someone will post some others... I am always looking for cool mic sites.

and you could check th TS Yard Sale too..
http://taperssection.com/index.php/board,7.0.html

The kind of mics and setup you want to get will depend a lot on what kind of shows you want to record... and how much you want to spend of course... the small mic sets with a battery box into a digital recorder, like your H120, would be a great starter set... they are great for recording local bars and small clubs... the small mics are easy to setup... you might not even need a stand... you can get clever on clamping to various places in a room... I mention that because a great way to get some experience is to just go ask bands that are playing locally if they mind if you record their show... offer to send them a copy of it... they may say yes, they may say no... either way, just smile and say thank you and don't bother the talent son. :)

I could go on, but I think it would be best for you to read the threads the others suggested and visit those two sites then ask specific questions... I think someone else mentioned that... anyway, have fun and welcome the wonderful world of archiving, a sure fire road to financial ruin. ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:58:20 PM by blindman »
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline justforsabbath

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 05:54:51 AM »

Thanks to everyone I might try and learn the links that you'll have sent me and then get back.

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 06:09:06 AM »
The best advise anyone can give you is to read, read, read, read and then read somemore.....This place is an over abundance of taping information.........Best wishes on your road to financial ruin ( :lol: )..

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 11:11:57 AM »
I believe I spent over 1 year reading on this forum (and websites mentioned here) before purchasing my first rig. There's a feeling that you can never read enough :p
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 11:48:54 AM »
I know.....

I came here a complete live recording newbie and I have now learned how to spend a small fortune on gear.... ;D  :P ......and actually record something worth listening to.... :lol:

This is a great site...

Since I have no real life I probably spend at least 8 hours a day here........it's kind of like a job, man

and I'm putting all of you guys down as references on my resume... ;D .........Just make sure if someone PM's you to check ...tell them I'm overqualified, handsome, always on time....and above all modest.. :lol: :lol: ...OK...

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline nkramar78

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • LPLive.net
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »
I believe I spent over 1 year reading on this forum (and websites mentioned here) before purchasing my first rig. There's a feeling that you can never read enough :p

Kind of the same... I've spent an excess of time reading before making any purchases.  There is such thing as TOO much reading, which leads to the problem of wanting more/upgrading your rig.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 08:14:26 AM »
Have you checked Core-Sound ? They make great mic's ! Especially the Stealthy Cardioid set . I have recorded many shows with this set and even given to the bands. Many of them can't believe the quality .

But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 08:54:41 AM »
Remember to also check out the "yardsale" section you can often find used gear at a good price.
Anther tip is when you get ready to buy something post a little thread in the ask the tapers section. And list the gear you intend to buy the people here will help you with your decision. And remember its always best to wait a few more weeks to buy something a little better if you can afford it then to settle for something your going to end up selling and losing money on.. Good luck

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com