Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are generic camcorder batteries worth the savings?? Looking for Canon extended  (Read 4895 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
I have a canon hf r300 that I want to get an extended battery for.
Not sure where might have the best prices nor am I sure if the savings of a generic brand is worth it or not
any input is appreciated
tia
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
I bought a couple of cheap aftermarket batteries for my Canon and they have performed flawlessly for about a year and a half. My battery compartment is internal and will not hold deeper batteries but I was able to find batteries with double the maH rating. I get about 1h25m versus 45m with the OEM battery.

Pretty sure I got mine from www.bestbatt.com

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline taperjeff

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA recordings:
B and H photo recommended Pearstone batteries.  I get close to four hours on my battery now and it was $50 cheaper than the manufacture brands.  You can look through the link and below each Pearstone battery and it says which manufacture and model # it replaces:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camcorder-Batteries/ci/14630/N/4232861409

or call B and H, they'll make a good recommendation.

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
you may find that the cheaper but higher mah batteries may not have the chip in it that tells you how much battery time you have left. I ran into this with my canon cams. It can be annoying but for the price savings I was able to buy two aftermarket batteries for less than 1 canon battery.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
I always buy cheap batteries from China for my camcorders and photocams. Never had a problem.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline willndmb

Thanks guys
Pearstone doesn't make my battery (bp-727) but they make a charger for it, go figure
I saw a battery my friend has that didnt show the time left, just the "bar". The time left is def useful though
Dd see some on eBay for like a third the cost of a canon one
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
I use an IMPACT brand battery on my Sony FX1000 along with the genuine Sonys,the Impact shows correct time and has been running since 2007 when i used it with Sony VX2100.

I also once used(dont recall which kind)of generic with a small sony cam that also showed the correct time for a few shows and then i charged it up for a shoot and it stated it had like 300mins....than about 30min later it said 45mins ....than it went to 0 and never worked again and i got only half the show,so i would recommend genuine if your shooting something important to you.

Offline ace5gt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
In my experience, they never last as long as the official brand batteries, regardless of what mAH they claim.

But some people are probably ok with getting 50-75% performance if it means spending only a few bucks for the battery on Ebay.

Offline candor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I've had great results with eforcecity, an amazon marketplace seller.  I've gotten batteries for a number of cameras, camcorders, and even my harmony remote.  All have worked as well or better than the originals and are much cheaper.  Shipping on most items is reasonable and I've received them quickly.  They are not always the cheapest, but I've not been disappointed.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
In my experience, they never last as long as the official brand batteries, regardless of what mAH they claim.

But some people are probably ok with getting 50-75% performance if it means spending only a few bucks for the battery on Ebay.

I always get the full show with cheap ebay batteries. Always.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
My Sound Devices 722, while not a camcorder, uses the Sony L-series camcorder batteries. I've had nothing but good experiences using the Lenmar camcorder batteries...

Offline willndmb

This is the only generic I found that has the time left chip
Says out of stock till sept 1, I wonder if its a new product and never been in stock
The same site has a battery charger combo that doesn't have the chip for like $25

Forgot the link http://www.bestbatt.com/Canon-BP-727-Battery-p/bbbp727.htm
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:43:00 AM by willndmb »

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
I'm pretty sure my OEM battery doesn't tell me how much time the battery has left. The battery gauge works just fine. I have a good idea of how long each battery will run when fully charged. And that's been good enough for me.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
This is the only generic I found that has the time left chip
Says out of stock till sept 1, I wonder if its a new product and never been in stock
The same site has a battery charger combo that doesn't have the chip for like $25

Forgot the link http://www.bestbatt.com/Canon-BP-727-Battery-p/bbbp727.htm

I think it may be new. I have two of those BP727 batteries from the same site for my Canon's and they definitely don't have the chip. Had them probably 4-5 months.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com