Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 input woes  (Read 114734 times)

Offline bpagac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Edirol R-09 input woes
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2007, 08:35:57 PM »
Hi all - Welcome a new member of the Edirol R-09 pooched line-in jack club.  Not sure what I will do; dive in and attempt soldering under a microscope, or return the 1 year + old deck for out-of-warranty repair.  Whichever, just wanted to warm your hearts with the fact there are more of us out here.  I was gentle... it was a straight plug....just a little shifting in the gear bag was all it took to torque the jack.  Edirol does so much right with the R-09, a shame they got this so wrong.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2007, 09:42:16 PM »
I just got my edirol r-09 back from doug oade. I had modification done to the line input.  Basically an updgrade.  The line input normally needs a -10dB signal to go to 0 db on the meters. Now it only takes a -20dB signal to get to 0db so that you should be able to record via the line input and not have to use the mic inputs.
I would imagine that the warranty is over once it has been injected with some steroids.  I can only cross my fingers with my new r-09.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2007, 06:15:18 AM »
I just got my edirol r-09 back from doug oade. I had modification done to the line input.  Basically an updgrade.  The line input normally needs a -10dB signal to go to 0 db on the meters. Now it only takes a -20dB signal to get to 0db so that you should be able to record via the line input and not have to use the mic inputs.
I would imagine that the warranty is over once it has been injected with some steroids.  I can only cross my fingers with my new r-09.

Seems this mod added gain and made the line input more like the existing mic input, but I miss the point of having this kind of mod.  And the same jack with 'easy breakaway pads' is on both of these inputs, so seems no advantage over having stock R-09 or am I missing something?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2007, 08:01:38 AM »
i really have no idea

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2007, 10:10:05 AM »
Maybe just to have a redundant mic input if you never use the line input?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »
i have always used the line input, just because doug oade said he does not do mods on the mic input.  I dont know enough to talk about inner workings of equipement, just know enough to record a concert

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2007, 02:59:48 PM »
i have always used the line input, just because doug oade said he does not do mods on the mic input.  I dont know enough to talk about inner workings of equipement, just know enough to record a concert

It probably makes sense what Doug does, depending on how the mic input is implemented.

Offline jkm78

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2007, 12:03:29 AM »
i suggest all you folks with the R-09, get a small 1/5" cable that goes 1/8 mini male to 1/8 mini female or 1/4 female.  With this cable you can leave the 1/8 portion of the cable in the R-09 at all times.  If you need this cable, please PM me and I can get you as many as you want from my company.  hope to hear from some of you and happy taping

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2007, 07:21:43 AM »
good advise.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2007, 09:43:43 AM »
something like this?  (see attached)

i suggest all you folks with the R-09, get a small 1/5" cable that goes 1/8 mini male to 1/8 mini female or 1/4 female.  With this cable you can leave the 1/8 portion of the cable in the R-09 at all times.  If you need this cable, please PM me and I can get you as many as you want from my company.  hope to hear from some of you and happy taping

Roving Sign

« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2007, 09:54:28 AM »
What exactly causes the failure of this jack? is it the "plugging in and out" - or the torque caused by having something plugged in?

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2007, 09:56:27 AM »
It seems to me that leaving someting plugged into the jack, and thus sticking out of the unit, would make it more succeptable to sideways pressures during transportation, storage and everyday use.  Just my .02

Pat

Edit:  Good question ^^^^ above
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Roving Sign

« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2007, 10:01:07 AM »
It seems to me that leaving someting plugged into the jack, and thus sticking out of the unit, would make it more succeptable to sideways pressures during transportation, storage and everyday use.  Just my .02

Pat

My thoughts exactly -

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »
It seems to me that leaving someting plugged into the jack, and thus sticking out of the unit, would make it more succeptable to sideways pressures during transportation, storage and everyday use.  Just my .02

Pat

'Sticking out' is primary facilitator to the problem.

You want a small right angle jack cable that is as low-profile as possible weather you leave it plugged in all the time or not.  There is some torque applied to the jack while plugging and unplugging and leaving a non-protruding cable plugged in eliminates that as well.  IMHO that is secondary and not a big issue if you are not a gorilla.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dominar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2007, 05:39:13 PM »
If the jack snaps off is it easily repairable?

I just bought a R-09 on eBay so I'm curious what to do if I get this issue as warranty repair is probably out of the question.
My as of yet untested rig: GSAL powered omni w/bat box>Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com