Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Walmart LiON, V3, so many questions...  (Read 23552 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: Walmart LiON, V3, so many questions...
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 04:33:09 PM »

I would get a 6v calibrated unit and run it with the walmart 7.2v cell, it will last about 6 hours.
peace, chris

Is there a 7.2v Walmart battery? I saw a bunch at my store. Grabbed one and took it home. On the back of the walmart battery box it says 5400mAh, 9v. I didn't see any 7.2v batteries at the store but then again I didn't search through all of them.

Anyone routinely using the walmart 9v battery with a 6v V3 model (not the 12v V3) ? Do I need to step down the voltage or do anything special?

I'm using it now.  The V3 operates on any voltage between 6 and 12 volts, no need to change anything.  The low battery light will not work correctly, though.  Other than that there should be no issues.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2004, 06:44:50 PM »
connections used: Radio Shack item numbers 274-1568C & 274-1532
objective: connect Walmart 9v battery to 6v V3

This is my first attempt at connecting the Walmart battery with my new V3. I'll try and test it out tonight. One of the walmart connectors will work with the V3 but I don't like the fit into the back of the V3 hense my need to visit Radio Shack. I also didn't want to cut into the V3 power cord that was supplied, or the cord that came with the walmart battery, or use that hideous 4pin xlr connector. Anyone know where I can get that connection with the screw in the back of the V3 connector? I couldn't find it in Radio Shack.

The next wire I will make should be shorter.

don't ask about the boot knife and the cutting board in the background. My thumb is still healing
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 06:13:05 PM by silverbullet »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2004, 12:16:10 AM »
Yeah I have pictures of it working here:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=23925.0

silverbullet

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2004, 03:25:57 AM »
John,

thanks for the link. Did you make the wire running from the V3 to the Walmart battery? the wire with the "B" on it I like the right angle connector and would like to know where the heck to get them.

I ran my V3 tonight with no problems. Both the battery and V3 did not get warm but I only ran them for about two hours inside a bar. I did look around for a fire extinguisher before hand though ::) no kidding

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2004, 01:21:18 PM »
John,

thanks for the link. Did you make the wire running from the V3 to the Walmart battery? the wire with the "B" on it I like the right angle connector and would like to know where the heck to get them.

I ran my V3 tonight with no problems. Both the battery and V3 did not get warm but I only ran them for about two hours inside a bar. I did look around for a fire extinguisher before hand though ::) no kidding

The cable was actually for my MixPre, but the V3 shares the same power connector (although the V3's is a little shorter, so it wont lock with the Sound Devices cable).  I went to RatShack and picked up some of their adaptaplug supplies.  The end for the battery is a size "B" and the V3 is a size "M" - although the connection to the V3 is not very tight.  It does work though.  I'm going to try to rig up something better soon, but this will have to work in the meantime. ;)

silverbullet

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2004, 04:08:59 PM »
thanks for the sizes. I just eye balled what I thought I needed and I'm happy with the connections I got with the R.S. items #'s that I got posted above a couple of posts. Soddering was a beotch but with practice probably is that bad. My first attempt failed and I almost scrapped the whole thing but my second attempt only took a few minutes and was delightly surprised that it works.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2004, 04:12:47 PM »
thanks for the sizes. I just eye balled what I thought I needed and I'm happy with the connections I got with the R.S. items #'s that I got posted above a couple of posts. Soddering was a beotch but with practice probably is that bad. My first attempt failed and I almost scrapped the whole thing but my second attempt only took a few minutes and was delightly surprised that it works.

I didn't have to solder anything.  The adaptaplugs and cables fit right into each other.

Good thing, cuz I've never soldered anything in my life. ;D

silverbullet

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2004, 04:55:50 PM »
Had I know about the adaptaplugs earlier I probably would've saved a lot of time and gone that route. ;)

I hate to sodder. I burned myself twice on the soddering iron and sliced my thumb. I won't get into that, just something stupid on my part. Still I would do it again (without cutting or burning myself) just to have one wire and at a good length.

Offline timP

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2004, 10:17:36 AM »
fwiw, I have been thru 3 of these batteries so far...

I origanlly bought 3 and as one stops taking a charge I buy a new one and return the bunk one in it's place...

1 has never failed and the other 2 have been going strong for a few weeks now ::)

?>FR2LE

marc0789

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2004, 10:33:34 AM »
ok, so I'm trying to put all this info. together. Is it possible to buy 12v 7.2 ah lion batteries at walmart, and get adaptors somewhere that will allow me to avoid soldering? Sorry to be an idiot, from what I can gather I can get the batteries at wallyworld and the adaptors at ratshack. I want to pick one up for the mme and one for the hhb. guessing that a 4 pin xlr adaptor for the portadat is gonna be a tough find? Thanks, Marc.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004, 10:59:03 AM »
>>I origanlly bought 3 and as one stops taking a charge I buy a new one and return the bunk one in it's place...<<

how long does it work before it stops taking a charge?

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2004, 11:21:53 AM »
fwiw, I have been thru 3 of these batteries so far...

I origanlly bought 3 and as one stops taking a charge I buy a new one and return the bunk one in it's place...

1 has never failed and the other 2 have been going strong for a few weeks now ::)

That's weird.  I haven't run into that problem with mine, and I don't think Chris (the discoverer of the battery) has either.  I wonder if anyone else around here has experienced similar problems...

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2004, 11:32:45 AM »
I believe my maha powerbank is the same in concept andI think it advertises approximately 50 uses. I got it at thomasdistributing.com if someone has time to look it up.

silverbullet

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2004, 02:23:04 PM »
ok, so I'm trying to put all this info. together. Is it possible to buy 12v 7.2 ah lion batteries at walmart, and get adaptors somewhere that will allow me to avoid soldering? Sorry to be an idiot, from what I can gather I can get the batteries at wallyworld and the adaptors at ratshack. I want to pick one up for the mme and one for the hhb. guessing that a 4 pin xlr adaptor for the portadat is gonna be a tough find? Thanks, Marc.

I've only seen the one 9volt Walmart battery. I've only used it once last Saturday for about two hours with my 6volt V3 without problems. There are adaptaplugs to avoid soddering but according to John Kelly the connections aren't very tight. see his post "I went to RatShack and picked up some of their adaptaplug supplies.  The end for the battery is a size "B" and the V3 is a size "M" - although the connection to the V3 is not very tight.  It does work though."

I think the extra time spent soddering pays off. I used some shielded audio cable, cut it and used Radio Shack item numbers 274-1568C & 274-1532. If the battery doesn't turn on the V3 then most likely the positive and negative wires are touching inside one or both of the connectors. Check your soddering. Those wire connections are small. You need a steady hand and just a little bit of soderring. The screw on black caps can be tough to fit over thick wire or a bad sodering job but once done correctly I doubt you'll have problem with your homemade wire. Just in case bring two or three  ;)

btw: I did check with a voltmeter. Coming from the battery, the inside wire is positive and the outside wire or shielding is negative. The way it should be for the V3.

I won't rely on the V3 battery indicator. There is a button to press on the Walmart battery to check it's own battery charge.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2004, 03:20:39 PM »
>>I think the extra time spent soddering pays off. I used some shielded audio cable, cut it and used Radio Shack item numbers 274-1568C & 274-1532.<<

why not just solder a 4 pin xlr onto the walmart battery cable?  then you can use it with your existing (and locking) v3  connector to 4 pin power cable.  just connect the 2 4 pin xlrs...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com