Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: using a power splitter cable/squid with talentcell batteries  (Read 1983 times)

Offline unclehoolio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
using a power splitter cable/squid with talentcell batteries
« on: December 06, 2023, 01:44:04 PM »
Hi Batterati--

Am curious if anyone is using a single talentcell (I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-14500mAh-26400mAh/dp/B016BJCRUO?ref_=ast_sto_dp) to power multiple devices (e.g. deck & preamp, or 2 decks) from the 12v plug and splitting the power output, with something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/UpperFu-Splitter-Connector-Surveillance-Security/dp/B0BLT2JYPV?ref_=ast_sto_dp?

I'm wondering what the safe limit for power draw is here, or better yet, how to determine what the draw is for any combo of multiple devices.

TIA
mics:  AKG c480b (x6) + ck61, ck62, & ck63
pre:  2 x Oade m148
recorder:  Zoom F8n Pro; Tascam HD-P2 (with Oade High Definition mod)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Re: using a power splitter cable/squid with talentcell batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 01:22:43 PM »
i do a splitter, but am not using the power as primary power option.  i provide backup to the mixpre6 and the m248, using a talentcell with a 12v 4pin neutrix splitter.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 02:34:39 PM »
That will work..

single talentcell (I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-14500mAh-26400mAh/dp/B016BJCRUO?ref_=ast_sto_dp)

^  This page indicates the current draw limitation for the 12VDC port is specified as 6A. You'll need to keep the total current draw of all combined devices that are Y'd into that port below that.

The only other potential problems I can foresee would relate to the interaction between the power sharing devices, not the battery itself- specifically, potential ground loop issues and/or injection of ripple some other unwanted power-noise from one device.  I don't expect that to be a problem, but it could.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline unclehoolio

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 07:30:56 PM »
^Thanks.

The Zoom's wall wart is rated for 2A output, so unless I'm missing something, that leaves 4A for other devices.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 09:54:00 PM »
The amperage of the charging wall wart is not really relevant to what you can power with the battery. In the case of charging, higher amperage from the wall wart (within safe charging limits) will simply charge the battery faster than a lower amperage wall wart.

The key thing in your case is that the collective amperage draw of all the devices you wish to power at the same time needs to be less than what the battery is capable of outputting.  That output specification is 6A, but that's max by the specs.. and a lot.  Best not to push it that hard. The battery may not last long at that output and the voltage might drop as it tries to keep up the current.  Best to keep the actual amperage draw less than that max.  Half that, 3A is probably a good target, if somewhat of an arbitrary number.

FYI- If using a "Y" other way - that is to say using two of those batteries in parallel to power your stuff, will double the nominal available amperage to 12A (and by the same seat of the pants reasonable target of half the available max output, ~6A).

^If you need to do that, the decision is to either use the two batteries separately, powering different pieces of gear with each. Or to "Y" from the two batteries down to a common single power line and "Y" back out from there to the separate pieces of gear.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 05:40:57 PM »
I’ve split talentcell via a Y in a pinch… sucked that battery down fast and you only get a fraction of the capacity with high current dropping the voltage. But yeah I’d say it can deliver at least 2A without issue

Offline unclehoolio

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 01:21:26 AM »
The amperage of the charging wall wart is not really relevant to what you can power with the battery. In the case of charging, higher amperage from the wall wart (within safe charging limits) will simply charge the battery faster than a lower amperage wall wart.

Thanks. However: the above part is confusing.  The Zoom's wall wart is just for powering the Zoom, it's not a "charging wall wart".  Or am I missing something?

...That output specification is 6A, but that's max by the specs.. and a lot...  Half that, 3A is probably a good target

This piece is helpful, knowing that the 'specs' aren't as reliable as one might assume.

In any event, I actually have a Talentcell for the Zoom (and another one for 2 x m148 preamps).  But if I could get by without needing the one for the Zoom (i.e. without pushing the one larger battery to the max draw--let's call it 3A--while powering all 3 devices to record a show with a runtime of 2.5 - 3 hrs,), well then that would be nice to know.

Offline unclehoolio

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 01:30:11 AM »
I’ve split talentcell via a Y in a pinch… sucked that battery down fast and you only get a fraction of the capacity with high current dropping the voltage. But yeah I’d say it can deliver at least 2A without issue

duly noted.  I'll have a chance here in a couple of months, at latest, to see how long the one talentcell that I linked at the top of this thread powers 2 x m148 preamps, and will do my best to report back.

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 08:47:04 AM »

I'm not a battery expert by any means but powering multiple devices from one power source (a Tascam DR701d and a Sound Devices 442 preamp) from a single Anker battery taught me one lesson. When it seems to be chugging along just fine the discharge curve dips quite a bit as it enters the lower third of it's capacity. Be aware when using more than one device on a single battery until you learn the behavior of that battery under multiple draws. That last 20% disappeared rather quickly.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 01:18:51 PM »
^ My experience too.  I always try to have excess battery capacity over what I actually need for that reason.  More reliable and increases the lifetime of the battery significantly.

Best way is to set everything up and do a runtime test to see if running off one battery works for long enough.. and is reasonable < that is to say, only using something like half the battery's capacity. 

If not, use two batteries or one larger capacity one.  If you use two batteries, simplest will be to use a separate one for either piece of gear.  If one piece of gear draws more current than the other, you might want to try the "Y" both in parallel to a common power line, which you then "Y" back out to both pieces of gear.  That should balance the load pulled from the batteries.

Thanks. However: the above part is confusing.  The Zoom's wall wart is just for powering the Zoom, it's not a "charging wall wart".  Or am I missing something?

Not you, me.  I thought you were referring to the Talentcell charging wallwart, not the one that powers the Zoom.

The Zoom's wall wart is rated for 2A output, so unless I'm missing something, that leaves 4A for other devices.

^ In light of that, this is technically true, but best draw less than the max capability of the battery as discussed.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 07:06:23 PM »
I like using Y battery cables, but in my case I use them for hot swapping my batteries, like say when I'm rolling my recorder for 14 or 16 hours straight during a festival.  When one batt gets low I plug a fresh battery in and unplug the spent one with no power interruption.  I still use Tekkeon's although some of them are due for refurb and others are dead.  But since I've got I think 24 of them, I'll just keep using my Tekkeons for as long as they keep making high capacity 18650 cells.  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com