Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WTF? AT XLR Power Adapters Won't "Click" into FP24 XLR Inputs  (Read 3983 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
WTF? AT XLR Power Adapters Won't "Click" into FP24 XLR Inputs
« on: February 15, 2006, 05:01:53 PM »
Got an interesting problem. I recently bought an FP24 mostly for video work, but I am also thinking about using it in my stealth setup at times too considering I own a pair of phantom-modded AT943's in addition to my other mics. What's strange is that the AT (not Samsung) power adapters won't "click" into the FP24 XLR inputs. Well, actually one won't click in and the other one just barely clicks in (so tightly that I actually got worried it jammed in so I couldn't get it out, but I thankfully did). Now, I can just seat the XLRs without clicking them in, and it records fine (like the UA5), but for stealthing, it sure would be nice to know they were clicked in tight and never coming out. Funny thing is, all of my XLR cables click into the FP24 no problem -- like butter. So, it's obviously the AT power adapters are too big or the clip holes are set back too far or something... WTF? I am just screwed or what? I guess I could use some really short interconnects, but for stealthing, less is more, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Any ideas or tips? Anyone ever dealt with this problem before?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: WTF? AT XLR Power Adapters Won't "Click" into FP24 XLR Inputs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 05:05:15 PM »
Mine didn't fit either, i had to use a short 1ft xlr pair to get it into it.  I didn't wanna risk jamming it in.  I think the Samson PM4 adapters do fit though from my recollection. 
mics & cameras

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 12:02:19 AM »
a little off topic, but i had a similar problem with samsons going into a ps-2.  the at's were a much better fit.  fussy xlrs i guess.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 12:11:33 AM »
Get some XLR extensions to plug into the pre. My adapters won't click-in right straight into the MP2.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 07:39:07 AM »
The problem is that the outer housing is too long to allow the plugs to fully engage in the xlr socket and needs to be shortened (or effectively shortened).  Here's what I did w/ my mp-2 and at8533x power modules to make them fit:

1.  take apart the power module by removing the three screws
2.  carefully slide the xlr part out of the housing--there's a contact in there that makes contact w/ the outer housing so be carefull w/ this, especially when reinserting the xlr/innards back into the housing.  You'll have to tuck it in when reassembling.
3.  disconnect the three wires secured w/ screws.  I was shortening the cables for stealthing so I had to do all of this anyways, but it's not a big deal at all to disconnect/reconnect the wires.
4.  now that everything is apart take the outer housing and use a metal file or a bench grinder to carefully grind down the open end of the outer housing.  Take off about .75mm.   Reassemble the power module being carefull w/ the springy contact--tuck it in.  Now the outer housing is short enough to be able to fully insert the power modules and get that 'click' that we all like.  Let me know if it's not clear enough--I was in a hurry to type this at work, but basically you want to decrease the distance between the exterior screws and the end they're closest to. 

Someone else did it a different way by elongating the holes the exterior screws go in towards the same end that I just filed down.  Either way it gets the housing out of your way so the xlr's will hold securely.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 11:26:36 AM by drewloo »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:07:36 AM »
I was thinking the solution was something like that. What's stopping me from grinding down .75mm without disassembling? Why not just grind it down as is?

Also, I actually need a pair of interconnects anyway. Where a good place to get short right-angle interconnects?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 11:28:09 AM »
I was thinking the solution was something like that. What's stopping me from grinding down .75mm without disassembling? Why not just grind it down as is?

Also, I actually need a pair of interconnects anyway. Where a good place to get short right-angle interconnects?

Don't know if the cable / pin termination directions on the custom shorty end will work with the piece of gear you are using, but if it does I've got these for sale:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=58149.0
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 11:33:49 AM »

What you're trying to do is make the xlr-part longer, not smaller.  That's why you need to grind down the shell and not the smaller xlr-part. 

Don't know if the cable / pin termination directions on the custom shorty end will work with the piece of gear you are using, but if it does I've got these for sale:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=58149.0

These would be perfect for you if the pins match up correctly, which I bet they do since they were made for a 148.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 12:03:37 PM »
Well, on the termination pins front, I'll start showing my wookness. Not sure.

But... I could see two uses for a pair of short interconnects:

1 - AT943 > AT XLR Power Adapter > INTERCONNECT > FP24 > JB3

and...

2. XLR > FP24 > INTERCONNECT > UA5 > JB3

Now #2 might seem a bit weird, and I was actually going to make a post about that sometime, but haven't yet. Thing is, I bought the FP24 as a video pre/mixer more than anything. But now that I have it, I might use to stealth (#1 above), but I was also thinking there might be times to run it in front of the UA5, essentially using the FP24 as a pre with limiter and the UA5 as an A/D (#2 above). Is that a stupid idea? Anyone every do that?

Would Gumbino's interconnects for for those situations?

Thanks!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »
These interconnects will work in both situations, it's just a matter of how finicky you are in regards to where the cables fall due to the pin assignments being sealed in the epoxy.  If you look at the pics in my yard sale post and look at the pin assinments on your FP24, you should be able to visualize how the connections will be made.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 12:29:18 PM »
This might help you decifer more easily.

The red cable:
Shorty RA xlr cable terminates @ 8:00
Standard RA xlr cable terminates @ 6:00

The black cable:
Shorty RA xlr cable terminates @ 11:00
Standard RA xlr cable terminates @ 6:00

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com