Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Review: Church Audio 3-wire batt box/pre amp  (Read 3603 times)

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Review: Church Audio 3-wire batt box/pre amp
« on: March 27, 2006, 02:11:54 AM »
Before you read this you should take into consideration that I’m an amateur and that this review is imo.  I will provide samples along with a description of the circumstances of how I recorded them so you can generate your own opinion. 

So I just made my first couple tapes with my new church audio 3-wire batt box/pre amp.  I have the first one so I feel I should let you all know how my first field tests went. 

I used it with my mke2’s while recording my brother play his electric guitar & with my at853’s at a progressive rock concert.  I will provide samples upon request, just sent me a pm with your email.

I really don’t know what to say… I have used a sp batt box & a ps2 and I will no longer be using either (with the above mentioned mics).  I actually haven’t used a pre amp before.  I was going line in & boosting the levels in post if necessary.  So now I know what headroom is!!

Needless to say I am quite pleased with the functionality so far.  It sounds clean and has as much gain as I need or don’t need for that matter. 

To sum it up it is easy to use, compact and most importantly sounds good.

I owe Chris a big thank you for being so patient with me and building this handy little piece of gear.  Chris gets an A+ in my books for both craftsmanship & customer service.

For those of you that still don’t know what it does, it provides optimal 3-wire power,  offers 0db to 20db of gain & a selectable hpf @80hz. 

It sounds simple yet it is perfect for my recording purposes & no other retailers seem to make it.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Review: Church Audio 3-wire batt box/pre amp
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 02:23:29 AM »
Before you read this you should take into consideration that I’m an amateur and that this review is imo.  I will provide samples along with a description of the circumstances of how I recorded them so you can generate your own opinion. 

So I just made my first couple tapes with my new church audio 3-wire batt box/pre amp.  I have the first one so I feel I should let you all know how my first field tests went. 

I used it with my mke2’s while recording my brother play his electric guitar & with my at853’s at a progressive rock concert.  I will provide samples upon request, just sent me a pm with your email.

I really don’t know what to say… I have used a sp batt box & a ps2 and I will no longer be using either (with the above mentioned mics).  I actually haven’t used a pre amp before.  I was going line in & boosting the levels in post if necessary.  So now I know what headroom is!!

Needless to say I am quite pleased with the functionality so far.  It sounds clean and has as much gain as I need or don’t need for that matter. 

To sum it up it is easy to use, compact and most importantly sounds good.

I owe Chris a big thank you for being so patient with me and building this handy little piece of gear.  Chris gets an A+ in my books for both craftsmanship & customer service.

For those of you that still don’t know what it does, it provides optimal 3-wire power,  offers 0db to 20db of gain & a selectable hpf @80hz. 

It sounds simple yet it is perfect for my recording purposes & no other retailers seem to make it.

Thanks for the review.  I agree, this product sounds like a winner.  (Sounds like the one I built... but was not able to make for others.)  I'm glad to see it here...

Anyway, can you tell me how the mics are wired?
- do they have "mini XLR" connectors (like the AT mics?), or are they 3.5mm plugs?
- which exact model of MKE 2-4 do you have?  I'm asking because some are 2-wire and some are three.  The way to test is to see if one of the two wires inside the cable are shorted to shield or not.

Richard
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 02:26:51 AM by poorlyconditioned »
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline M

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 03:43:38 AM »
I am using mini-xlr's & my mics are mke2-4 gold.

Offline M

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 11:44:54 AM »
My pics aren't too great but you get the picture (no pun intended).  I used my md for scale. 

I think I saw Chris had a different sticker on one that he was selling in his store.

*edit to get pics right

« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:53:24 AM by orestesluna »

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:04:11 AM »

Hi I do have a new lable for this preamp and its in my eBay store now for sale if anyone is interested. I love this preamp, but I am just a bit biased.
Thanks for the comments on my preamp, I have worked hard on it's design and I feel it makes a real difference for recording live shows.
For recording really quiet stuff it can actually be used in the mic input of any 3.5 mm recording device and will force the user to use less of the built in preamp and more of the external preamp thus lowering the noise of the recording because our preamp is so quiet, this is good for nature recording or 100% accoustic shows. When used in the line input you can use it for very loud shows. the pin config can be changed upon request at time of ordering to any standard you wish.
PS... I give 10% discounts to taper section members.

Chris Church

My pics aren't too great but you get the picture (no pun intended).  I used my md for scale. 

I think I saw Chris had a different sticker on one that he was selling in his store.

*edit to get pics right

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:12:23 AM »

PS... I give 10% discounts to taper section members.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Chris Church

That sounds great.  Thanks for helping us out in the 'section.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 11:15:38 PM »

Thanks for the comments on my preamp, I have worked hard on it's design and I feel it makes a real difference for recording live shows.
For recording really quiet stuff it can actually be used in the mic input of any 3.5 mm recording device and will force the user to use less of the built in preamp and more of the external preamp thus lowering the noise of the recording because our preamp is so quiet, this is good for nature recording or 100% accoustic shows. When used in the line input you can use it for very loud shows.

Chris Church

I've run one of Chris's ST-20 pre's for a couple of years now in front of every kind of cheap, single-point stereo mic i could get my broke-ass hands on -- super quiet, bullet-proof, stealthy, uncolored, and predictable.........thanks Chris for some nice tapes  ;D
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:53:58 PM »
I own the Church Audio STC-9000 and am very happy with it.  Good Stuff!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com