Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R09 R09HR & R44 internnal microphone comparison (field recording).  (Read 3853 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Aim:

To compare the relative noise levels of the R09, R09HR and R44 internal microphones for a simultaneous ambient field-recording.

Methods:

1. Levels

I attempted to match all recorders so that the peak-meters hit the same max levels (see the post processing section below). The recorder settings used were:

R44 = High-Gain (Sensitivity, 6th stop from minimum)
R09 = High-gain @ 20 (66%)
R09HR = High-gain @ 43 (53%)

2. Other settings

All recorders: Low cut off, plugin power off, screens minimum brightness, 44.1 kHz @ 24 bit.

2. I recorded ~ 2 minutes of street noise from my front porch, the 'talent' were children playing in the street, they were ~ 15m/50' to 50m/160' away (hey kids move fast :) ), all recorders were laid on the ground facing the street as shown below. The kids serendipitously hit a large metal garage door, on several occasions, with a volley-ball for bass-response testing:

3. Post processing

As it turned out I needed to make a +2 dB increase to the R09HR  to match the loudest, R09. The R44 required ~ +1 dB increase).

Results:

For listening I would recommend a good set of headphones.

R44 Recording (320 kbps mp3, 3755 kb)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R09 Recording (320 kbps mp, 3755 kb)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R09HR Recording (320 kbps, 3755 kb)

A-B-C comparison

The following recording cycles between the R44 --> R09 --> R09HR in 2 second snippets for a series of random samples from the recording. I really like this style of test for comparing gear as it allows you to focus your attention on particular qualities of the sound and listen to it change as the units cycle. As you can hear the stereo image from the R44 is far superior to the R09 team (not surprising given the mic separation), but also you will notice the noise in the R44 is far worse than the R09 or R09HR.

Some things to focus on (each in turn as you play the recording): 1. Stereo imaging, 2. Background hiss, 3. Bass response, 4. High frequency detail...   

R44-R09-R09HR cycle (320 kbps mp, 1877 kb)

Conclusions

1. The internal mics in the R44 are significantly more hissy than either the R09 or R09HR. Dramatically so. I would go as far to say that they are useless for anything other than note-taking/slating or rock-band level recordings. This is a surprise to me as I would have expected them to be at least equal to the R09 since the R44 appeared after the R09 but before the R09HR. Shame :(

2. The R09HR has more bass and less hiss than the R09 (as shown elsewhere).

3. The R09HR seems to be more sensitive.

Share and enjoy :)

PS: The R09HR internal mics can also be heard in this recording at freesound - People swimming in Lake Eacham.
You will need to set up an account to download the original.

The internal mic preamps with external microphones for the above recorders can be heard here...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,109081.msg1456339.html#msg1456339

digifish
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:42:30 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: R09 R09HR & R44 internnal microphone comparison (field recording).
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 03:25:46 AM »
Thanks a lot!

It looks like the http://www.digifishmusic.com/public/sounds/TaperSection_R09HR_StreetNoise_internalmics.mp3 is not found on the server..

Kind regards,

JM.

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
- What's this knob do?

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: R09 R09HR & R44 internnal microphone comparison (field recording).
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:27:53 AM »
Wow, the differences are really huge..!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com