Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT deck help, please  (Read 2281 times)

Offline bobby24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DAT deck help, please
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »
Hi,
I have a Sony 670 DAT deck.  Granted, i'm a newbie, but lately when i put a tape in, the deck just clicks and after about 10 seconds or so, the tape rewinds back to the beginning.  Any suggestions?
Thank you.
s

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: DAT deck help, please
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »
With the Sony PCM-M1 it usually meant o broken gear. It was about a $175 repair from Pro Digital. I ended up just upgrading to a Elriod R-09 for $200.

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:19:24 AM »
Happened to me on my D8 about 4 years ago.  Pro-Digital fixed it but I can't remember how much other than wishing it hadn't happened at all. If this is your home deck, suggest you look for a used one on EBay. If this is a portable, I also recommend you move to a memory card recorder. Or consider a used portable DAT deck on Ebay.  I still have my D8 and it got a clean bill of health from Pro-Digital in March when it was cleaned. But, I'm keeping it as backup in case my Edirol has issues.  My Fostex home DAT deck is also going strong. DAT is still the workhorse of media.

Offline bobby24

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:23:52 AM »
Thanks Dave and LedZep!

I assumed it was dead, just wanted to make sure!!

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »
On that sony home deck, this means you have a transport issue. You can send to a Sony service center and they can repair it. A unit that old is actually way overdue for a service at that age anyway.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:27:03 PM »
Of course the obvious question is have you tried more than one cassette. 

Sometimes a cassette has sticking supply reel, or the mechanism opening the cassette door and unlocking the reels is not working, which could be the cassette, or the deck, but the noise your hearing is most likely coming from the cassette.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:04:46 PM »
Hi,
I have a Sony 670 DAT deck.  Granted, i'm a newbie, but lately when i put a tape in, the deck just clicks and after about 10 seconds or so, the tape rewinds back to the beginning.  Any suggestions?
Thank you.
s

The DTC-670? I had one of those. It has an older transport mechanism. Likely something is awry with the tape tensioning. Send it in to Pro-Digital and they will get it back into spec. Be prepared to pay at least $100-$150 to get it serviced.

If you need a good DAT deck, my advice would be to pickup a good Tascam DA30-MKII on ebay. Even if you have to get it serviced, the tape transport should outlast the Sony.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com