Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: four track recording on iphone  (Read 1873 times)

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
four track recording on iphone
« on: November 06, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »
http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/11/a-four-track-re.html

obviously not up to snuff at this point, but I think it has some interesting implications in the future
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline Chrysler

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: four track recording on iphone
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 01:53:07 PM »
so i can record with a pair of mics and preamp to the iphone via the headphone jack ??

"You'll notice if you look, with a very bright light source nearby, that the "headphone" jack is actually a multi-source analog jack (count the number of prongs on the inside of the jack)

You'll also notice, while looking at the plug for your earphones/phone mic for the iPhone, that **unlike a standard stereo [headphone] plug** which has only 1 black stripe, it has 2.

This means it has 3 "chrome" areas on the plug.
Each of those chrome/metal areas is a channel, **one of which is a input**.
i.e. you have 1 Left/out, 1 Right/out, and 1 MONO/in. Ground is shared for all in/out sources.

This means you DO NOT NEED A MIC TO RECORD - you only need an input cable that has a plug wired to the correct to input on the correct channel an you can use any source you want.

Questions on how to do this? Either email me or go to Radio Shack."
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:41:57 PM »
so i can record with a pair of mics and preamp to the iphone via the headphone jack ??

"You'll notice if you look, with a very bright light source nearby, that the "headphone" jack is actually a multi-source analog jack (count the number of prongs on the inside of the jack)

You'll also notice, while looking at the plug for your earphones/phone mic for the iPhone, that **unlike a standard stereo [headphone] plug** which has only 1 black stripe, it has 2.

This means it has 3 "chrome" areas on the plug.
Each of those chrome/metal areas is a channel, **one of which is a input**.
i.e. you have 1 Left/out, 1 Right/out, and 1 MONO/in. Ground is shared for all in/out sources.

This means you DO NOT NEED A MIC TO RECORD - you only need an input cable that has a plug wired to the correct to input on the correct channel an you can use any source you want.

Questions on how to do this? Either email me or go to Radio Shack."

You are right about the shared ground but that is what your third "chrome" area is.  Commonly referred to as TRS(tip ring and sleeve).   It could be a switched headphone(or maybe line)(out) Line/mic(in) but I'd expect to see a switch of some kind like a D-8 had. It does not have this.  After READING the info it ONLY records MONO the other "channel" is for an ear phone(not stereo headphones) and ground seems shared. All in all a toy, or at best a spur of the moment capture the idea recorder but not able to do any kind of even mediocre quality.  For $9.99 what did you expect?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:52:11 PM by kirkd »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »
When it records line-in stereo 16-bit, it'll start being interesting. Until then, it's a novelty.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com