Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorder with remote ability to check recording settings  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Recorder with remote ability to check recording settings
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »
I have looked through many topics and it doesn't seem there is any 24/96 recorder that has a simple remote , able to check volume levels during a recording.
I don't like pulling the recorder out of my pocket to check recording levels. It reminds me of the DAT "days" and I was happy they were behind when I got the MZ Rh1.

The MZ Rh1 Hi Minidisc had a great remote but I don't want to use Minidisc anymore due to some reasons.

Any suggestions ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
Re: Recorder with remote ability to check recording settings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Record at 24 bits, set your levels conservatively, and don't worry about it.  When you change your levels during a recording you alter the dynamic range of the performance.  Much better to set them low beforehand, do not change them at all during the show,  and then add gain to the show as a whole.  This preserves the difference between the quietest and loudest parts and makes for a much better recording.  With the low noise of todays digital decks and some experience with your rig, you should be able to get 16-bits+ of dynamic range with no clipping and no hassle during the performance this way.

It was really important during the analog days and to a much lesser extent with DAT but it really isn't necessary to ride your levels any more.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:07:47 PM »
Record at 24 bits, set your levels conservatively, and don't worry about it.  When you change your levels during a recording you alter the dynamic range of the performance.  Much better to set them low beforehand, do not change them at all during the show,  and then add gain to the show as a whole.  This preserves the difference between the quietest and loudest parts and makes for a much better recording.  With the low noise of todays digital decks and some experience with your rig, you should be able to get 16-bits+ of dynamic range with no clipping and no hassle during the performance this way.

It was really important during the analog days and to a much lesser extent with DAT but it really isn't necessary to ride your levels any more.

Interesting statement !
You are right about the low noise. But still I think you shouldn't record to "low" . Some shows are simply louder than others. I'd always like to check the levels on the first song. When I use my Hi MD I record between 14 and 19. That's how much difference there can be in volume levels at different shows.

However , it is worth a thought.
But still...don't you want to check your recorder is still running after every so many minutes ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:28:14 PM »
You can check the levels on any small recorder that will fit in the front pocket of a shirt without taking it out of the pocket. Put it in with the display facing your body. You can check the levels by looking down in the pocket and moving the top of the recorder away from your body with your fingers until you can see the display. May not work well if the shirt pocket is too tight though. You can cut a hole at the bottom of the pocket for the mic cable if you don't want it to exit from the shirt pocket.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »
The PCM-M10 has a red recording light on the remote to show you that it's recording. (It blinks in REC-Pause.) So you don't need to look at the unit for that.

It also has red and green lights near the top of the recorder. Green is optimum recording level. Red is overload--which triggers the limiter (I always leave that on), which rescues your recording. You can see them in a pocket (or turn them off if you are stealthing).  If I see red lights, I reach in and lower the level. But I like to see green only occasionally. Recording a whole show below the green level comes out fine.

Yes, I wish it had the equivalent of the RH1 remote. But practically speaking, it's not necessary. There's a big usable range for recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com