Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam HD-p2 Firewire  (Read 3009 times)

Offline bluewingolive

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
Tascam HD-p2 Firewire
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
Has anyone ever used the Tascam's firewire connectivity with a firewire cable that has a USB end on computer side...essentially, a firewire to USB adapter cable?  My firewire ports a kaput at the moment and I'm not sure I want to bother with it.  I have plenty of USB ports available. 

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam HD-p2 Firewire
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »
I have never heard of a FireWire to USB adapter cable - it would have to be USB 2 and would have to be a full blown converter with pretty complex logic in side (buffers, microcontroller/microprocessor, firmware, etc) FireWire and USB are completely different and incompatible interfaces (even the voltages are different I believe 12v for fw and 5v for USB)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »
I have never heard of a FireWire to USB adapter cable - it would have to be USB 2 and would have to be a full blown converter with pretty complex logic in side (buffers, microcontroller/microprocessor, firmware, etc) FireWire and USB are completely different and incompatible interfaces (even the voltages are different I believe 12v for fw and 5v for USB)
Yep...that's why I asked...I figured a voltage issue..Thanks for the quick response.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »
Looks like there a bunch on eBay - they definitely would not power the p2 but they may allow you to xfer files

You got to be careful though as about 10 years ago a lot of companies sold all in one cables (they had different attachments depending on what you where connecting to what - these cables would not allow you to go from USB to FireWire but had both types of end plugs allowing you to carry one cable and a bag of connectors)- a lot of the ones on eBay look like these ends and probably won't work - a few look like they may work though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:13:35 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »
Has anyone ever used the Tascam's firewire connectivity with a firewire cable that has a USB end on computer side...essentially, a firewire to USB adapter cable?  My firewire ports a kaput at the moment and I'm not sure I want to bother with it.  I have plenty of USB ports available.

If you are using FW to avoid pulling the CF Card, I suggest getting a CF>MicroSD Adapter and using Card Reader...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132900.msg1747316#msg1747316

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »

If you are using FW to avoid pulling the CF Card, I suggest getting a CF>MicroSD Adapter and using Card Reader...

Terry
Yes...exactly..I'd like to avoid pulling the card.  Terry...that's a great alternative...I will check that out...

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »

Terry
Yes...exactly..I'd like to avoid pulling the card.  Terry...that's a great alternative...I will check that out...

Awesome!  Hi5!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

Terry
FWIW, I stopped using the firewire after I realized how slow the transfer was versus pulling the card. I have probably pulled the card(s) on my HD-P2, 2 or 3 hundred times, as well as hundreds of CF card pulls in my MT 2496 and Canon 30D. Never an issue or a problem, as the guides you slide the card into make it almost impossible to damage the card or deck. My point in chiming in is not to tell you to change your way if that makes you feel safer, but just to let you know, if you need to pull the card occasionally, it is not really anything to worry about .  ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com