Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: the new 722 (the 702)  (Read 12263 times)

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: the new 722 (the 702)
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 11:29:06 PM »
Just asked if the 702 or 702T will be able to support an internal HDD and the answer is NO!

No. There will be no way to add a HDD to a 702 or 702T as a bunch of the circuitry is missing and the chassis is slightly different internally.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2006, 06:43:09 AM »
With the space they are saving internally it would have been nice to add as second Memory Slot with an auto rollover feature for extended continuous recording.....  since it will not accept a hard drive this would overcome the issues of smaller Flash Cards currently available cheaply and high-res recording memory demands.

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2006, 09:32:52 AM »
tascam does not generate time code..called and asked.

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2006, 12:46:50 PM »
the price for the 702 is $2175   and that is according to the sound device website
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2006, 01:08:08 PM »
the price for the 702 is $2175   and that is according to the sound device website

That makes street ~ 1950-2000 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2006, 04:22:06 PM »
i'm not sure tmecode syncing really has a TON of application in our practice

If the application supports timecode, then this is huge. It cuts down the amount of time screwing around with stuff by a factor of 10.

The problem is TC is such a b*tch, even for the guys working with it daily. A lot of questions the sound mixers have on the Deva list deal with TC and how to set it up to work so post is happy with it.

Wayne

the best way i have seen time code handled in a studio setting has been by using a master clock.  it keeps everything together nice and tight. 
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2006, 07:08:11 PM »
Best price for those who have it listed: Taia Audio  in Connecticut  702  MSRP:  $1850.00

http://www.taiaudio.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1429

Locationsound has it for $2175.00   :o
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 08:32:05 PM by spyder9 »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2006, 10:36:07 PM »
tascam does not generate time code..called and asked.

Not that it matters to tapers really, but I'm pretty sure it also requires being "tethered" with a physical connection to the timecode generator (i.e., it can't be jam-synced and disconnected). The 744t and 702t can do both (and a lot more including sync to just about every format of framerate possible, including drop-frame, non-drop, 24/25/29/30 fps).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2006, 04:10:57 AM »
Why all the discussion about time code? For tapers I would expect it to have absolutely no relevance.

Time code is a great time saver in video post production, when you run several cameras and sound recordings together. Once back at base you simple import the files and they align on the time line. We are talking the hours/ minuts/seconds/video frame timing here. A vide frame is about 1/25 of a second, which is the limit of resolution for time code. This is perfectly good for sound/video synch.

In the digital world (generally, there are variations) time code only affects the start of each segment (each recording). This is perfectly good for video where you make a lot of short takes, starting and stopping cameras.

But it is NOT sample accurate the way you need sound to be. For sound the resolution needs to be  sample, that is about 1/44.100 of a second.  And time code does not help with long (tens of minutes) recordings as for digital recorders generally resynch is not done while recording is running.

If you want to comibine sound from several recorders and mix together the only sure solution is word clock. This makes for sample accurate recording on several machines at the same. This sample accuracy allows you to mix the sound from two different recorders and not add any timing errors.

If you run two machines not connected with word-clock they can stay in synch for a while. How long they stay in synch depends on a lot of things, the temperature of the crystal is one important parameter. Often you can run for several minutes with similar units.

But multiple recordings can be done with free running recorders. You simply have to resynch now and then in postproduction. Not too difficult to do on song starts or on some specific drum hit. Very tedious though, but it can be done.

You could possibly send time code on radio if you want to stay synched. I thing I remember having seen something like that, not cheap though.

Gunnar

RebelRebel

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2006, 05:26:02 AM »
I venture to guess because it is a discussion board. Stab in the dark here...

Why all the discussion about time code? For tapers I would expect it to have absolutely no relevance.
Gunnar

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2006, 01:13:02 PM »
The reason it started really was because someone said why would anyone in their right mind buy a 702T for that price when they could get the 722 for not much more. Then I said, that timecode feature is a big deal for video work, big enough that people would pay for it. And, I added, that the majority of people using something like the 702T are probably people doing sound for film/video work. Then we went off on the topic for a while just for the fun of it. :)
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2006, 09:41:22 PM »

I would also point out that just because there are folks on this board that do music recording, I have been asked numerous times to help with video shoots. Also timecode has saved my bacon with running 6-8 channels and being able to simply drop the audio into an application and aligning all the segments based on the timecode saves me a ton of time, something I'm usually in short supply of...

but, as tainted pointed out folks were trying to figure out why this version of the 702, and that's the why...

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline ford prefect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2006, 12:11:12 PM »
I wonder if the lack of a hard drive means it's significantly easier to power these.  Will the 702 last much longer on the same size batteries.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 12:15:28 PM by ford prefect »

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2006, 12:24:29 PM »
It should. I think the 722 lasts longer if you record to CF only.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline ford prefect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »
The hard drive only spins up at boot to check the size and free space.  It does not run if you are recording to flash.  I think the manual mentions removing it, or possibly a menu option, to prevent the boot up check entirely.

Just read this, so I imagine power consumption won't be too different unless you are using the HDD as the recording media.  I'm trying to like this thing, but I just can't find a way that it's better than a 722 for what I would use it for.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 12:59:31 PM by ford prefect »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.26 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com