Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iKey USB Recorder - The perfect solution?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline DaveG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
iKey USB Recorder - The perfect solution?
« on: October 28, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »
I've been looking for a good solution for my dilemma to update to digital recording.  I currently record sermons/lectures at my church onto old-fashioned cassette tapes and then recording mp3's from the tapes with Audacity and then burning CD's but it is a slow and painful process.

My search so far started with mp3 player/recorders (looking at iAudio G3 or U3) but seems like it might not give adequate results.  Then to some of the digital recorders out there (Edirol R-09, Microtrack, Zoom H4, Boss Micro BR) but they all have way too many features and options and are more than I want to spend.  I don't plan to record music or anything like that, just speech.  Then I came across the iKey Audio USB Recorder and it looks like the perfect solution.  Any opinions on this device?  Any suggestions on what is the best solution for this situation?  Thanks for the help!

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
Re: iKey USB Recorder - The perfect solution?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:25:13 PM »
How much can it hold. I can't find any thig about that on the web page. I might be over looking it.

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 11:26:11 PM »
How much can it hold. I can't find any thig about that on the web page. I might be over looking it.

-Brian

it doesnt you use it in conjunction with an ipod  or other usb device. AFAICT its just an interface  with connections that an ipod may not have and a better audio front end.

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24
Mics:Schoeps Mk4,   Beyerdynamic ck930(for sale)  ,Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Marcsounds binaurals  Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA  Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 12:58:48 AM »
I'll sell you mine for $20.  When it works, it's pretty cool.  When it doesn't, you think you're recording, but later find out you weren't.  I'd never use the iKey for a recording that I have to have.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 05:31:31 AM »
I'll sell you mine for $20.  When it works, it's pretty cool.  When it doesn't, you think you're recording, but later find out you weren't.  I'd never use the iKey for a recording that I have to have.
+t for the tip, I was looking at this thing.
As far as I've been so far, I only record things that I have to have.
At least that's my opinion before the show  ;)

Offline DaveG

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 05:53:04 PM »
Thanks for the offer Willl.  I'll think about it.  Why does it not record when you think it is?  A malfunction or it just didn't start properly?  From the reviews it should write to the usb every 15-20 seconds so you should be able to tell by the activity light if it is working if that's correct.  I was thinking of waiting for the Plus version that uses the led's as a UV meter and has headphone output so you can at least monitor what is coming into the unit.  Would that solve the problem?

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
Hmm, using it with a USB drive that has an activity light could add a little piece of mind.  I used an iPod so I had to rely entirely on the very limited feedback from the iKey itself.

I've had shows where I've done everything right to start the recording, the space remaining LEDs flash and even advance as they should, and when I get back either no recording or a recording that's half silence.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com