Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack...help?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline reh1015

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Microtrack...help?
« on: December 26, 2006, 12:16:11 PM »
Just got an M-Audio MicroTrack for Christmas. It came with a 128MB card. Where can I get a bigger card and how large can they get up to? Also, what is a good mic to buy for live recording. I've always heard Core Sound Binaural microphones are good for stealth taping. Also, when recording live music, should I use the line-in feature because it distorts when I use the mic feature. Any other head suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rick Harrington
richard.e.harrington@gmail.com

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
Re: Microtrack...help?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:03:31 PM »
yes you want 2gb or 4gb card

good mics? depends on your price range

yes use line in, you will need a battery box/preamp
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »
Welcome aboard Rick!

Congrats on the MT, it is a machine that can make very impressive recordings.

I am not sure there are easy answers to your questions. Spend some time getting familiar with this site and the threads. You will find many interesting threads under recording on the MT and under the mics section too.

There are threads that help with which CF media cards to buy. Generally the older slower cards work better, but M-Audio recently did another firmware update which partially was to help more media be sucessfully matched. You should make sure you have the latest firmware.

As for line in, mic in, what you really have is Low Med High, with differennt impedances. Also using the 1/4 inch TRS jacks are much leass sensitive than the 1/8 jack. There are some really useful links posted in different threads too. Look for the Guysonic (Sonic Studios) link and that will take you to some really useful statistics on the MT (Guy are you out there??).

A battery box works really well with most mics although you do also have phantom power available. A lot depends on how you use the MT. Also there are battery boxes that fit right on top of the MT or standalones too. Much may depend on whether your recordings will be done in open settings or not.

There are so many mics that work well with the MT. Again if size is a factor or if it is not will make a big difference on recommendations. Budget too.

That is what I have off the top of my head. Others with better memory's than I will help with links a recommendations too. Again, every questions and thought you will have has been covered in the links below, and there is a great wealth of info to absorb. That should help with many of your questions, and we are here for the rest of them too ;D

Have fun....

Edit: Here is the Sonic Studios link, with what I feel is a great deal of useful information:
http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 04:08:48 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

sml42

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 07:02:23 PM »
Hi Rick,

There's plenty of posts on here about CF cards, so I won't add anything other than to say I'm running with an 8 GB sandisk ultra II CF card I bought from somewhere online (possibly amazon? I can't recall), with great success. 8 GB is large enough that you'll need an external battery pack to fill it!

But the main reason I wanted to post is about the mics:

Core Sound Binaurals may well be good mics, HOWEVER, Core Sound are not good people to be dealing with. Beyond the initial contact, I had nothing but bad experience dealing with Core Sound. I'm not the only one either - several other people on these forums have also spoken out against Core Sound. I've posted the details on here before, search for the 'critique your rig' thread.

My best advice, is to let your ears and budget guide your choice of mics...

best regards,
stephen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.243 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com