Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT II problems  (Read 47566 times)

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: MT II problems
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2008, 12:26:37 AM »

I've also filed an online "incident" with m-audio about that issue yourself and others have had w/ lockups(and the no backlight when on hold), just to try and push them to do something for you all. Not sure where the issue lies though, and have yet to hear anything new from them.

Ahh..so you have heard of this issue.  I don't seem to be finding other people discussing lockups and was beginning to think I was crazy. If anyone has any links to lockup issues being discussed I'd be greatfull.
Really the only place I've heard of it was earlier in this very thread, Deadheaded was having the problem and I believe someone else chimed in with issues as well. Not a whole lot of discussion about it, but it's something that caught my attention. Haven't seen whether they're still having problems or not, it seemed to be pretty regular with Ed's unit until he tried a different card, but don't know if he's had trouble since..
Maybe he can chime in if he sees this, with his experience since then, if any.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2008, 06:11:25 AM »
Maybe we should be asking if newest version MT2 firmware has been installed? 

This can make a big difference with flash card fault issues.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »

This can make a big difference with flash card fault issues.
eds was original
daves is latest
not sure about anyone else
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline davidaue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2008, 02:33:52 PM »

All four of the units I have had exhibited the same locking problems with 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 firmware versions.  I tested all of them with both a 4GB SanDisk Ultra II and a 4GB Transcend 133x.  One unit I also took to my local camera shop and tried a "RAW" card which I believe are considered a high end card.  They certainly had a high end price. Same problems.

Basically I press record (using default 1/8" to 16/44 wav) and then wait for anywhere from 0:30 to 5:00, hit rec again to stop, it writes the file, and then maybe 10-15% of the time the unit will no longer respond, requiring a hard shut down.  I've also had it go through bouts of freezing while recording, usually at about 0:35 or 1:01 but that was much less consistent.

I want so bad for this unit to work.  It is the only thing I've seen with real mic jacks (non 1/8") that is also pocket sized.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »
This might be a simple question, but have you formatted the cards in the MT itself ? I've heard of some folks having problems with formatting done on a computer instead of in the MT.
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2008, 03:39:54 PM »
I learned that with the first MT.  It is not full proof though. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline davidaue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2008, 07:20:43 PM »
This might be a simple question, but have you formatted the cards in the MT itself ?

Yes. I've tried both MT II formatting and XP formatting.  Same results.

I've heard through a reseller that M-Audio is working on a fix for a widespread freezing problem.  Supposedly they will have a firmware upgrade within a week.  I hope the problem is really a firmware one and not a hardware problem be covered up by software.  It concerns me that so many units seem to work.  Maybe they will be transparent about the origins of the problem, but somehow I doubt it.

It sounds like they have also had a lot of complaints about how noisy the pre-amp is.  Mine is definitely quite noisy. I also get some bleed from the 1/8" input when I am recording from the 1/4" mics.  It is hard to know if this is just the nature of the product or if these are problems with the curent manufacturing run.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
MicroTrack II BETA     01/25/2008     1.0.4 BETA     MicroTrackII Firmware v1.0.4 BETA.zip
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=861

icroTrack II

Version: 1.0.4 BETA (BETA)

Release Date: January 25, 2008

Applies to:
MicroTrack II

Operating System(s):
Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-Bit

Release Notes:
This readme covers MicroTrack II Firmware v1.0.4 BETA.

Several issues reported from the field have been fixed - THANK YOU to those who cooperated on uncovering these issues. Users should be aware that this is a BETA release and it is therefore possible that bugs may still be present in this release. Please continue to check back at the M-Audio website (www.m-audio.com) for upcoming firmware releases.

============================================================
Release Notes:

- Resolved media test and media lock-up issues during record
- Fixed issue to turn off outputs when input monitoring was disabled
- Fixed bug of battery icon meter displaying strange animation when Nav wheel was pressed
- Improved behavior during fast-forwarding through long files
- Added safeguard against overwriting MTII resource file with MT24/96 resource file
- Fixed problem with Japanese fonts being shifted to the right
- Updated strings for Chinese, Japanese, and German languages
- Automated time/date format based on language selection
- Added Chinese option to time/date setting

============================================================

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2008, 11:50:01 AM »
So has anyone that was having the lockup/freezing problems updated their firmware yet? Did it help?
FWIW I hesitantly updated to the above BETA FW, and have not had any issues or noticed anything buggy about it at all.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2008, 11:58:42 AM »
I have updated and so far, with a 16gb card, I have had no problems.  There is still the problem that it can only hold 10gb straight without a break but, I don't see many bands playing 5 hours straight through without a break. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2008, 02:53:56 PM »
i haven't used my mt2 in some time now.  kinda put it on the back shelf.
have a paid archiving gig this weekend.  will have to use all the recorders i have.  mr-1000, mt 24/96, mt2 & jb-3.
will probably run mt 24/96 back up for the mr-1000 microphone recording.  v-3 mt 2 & jb-3 for the sound board recording.  will let everyone know about how the mt 2 goes spdif from the v-3 @ 24/48.
i updated the firmware when it came out, but haven't really used the mt 2 in the field since then.
happy taping
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline davidaue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2008, 03:59:37 PM »
So has anyone that was having the lockup/freezing problems updated their firmware yet? Did it help?
FWIW I hesitantly updated to the above BETA FW, and have not had any issues or noticed anything buggy about it at all.

I was the one with the serious locking problems on recently purchased MT2's.  I installed the new beta an have recorded about 15 tracks with it since with no problems.  Not enough to be conclusive but highly encouraging.  My real concern is why it would be that some units lock up but others don't with the same firmware.  If it was really just a software problem wouldn't it affect all units?

Anyway, I'm just glad it works.

I noticed that the included 1/8" extension cable makes a nice antenna when used with the T mic.  I got a whole bunch of buzzing noise in one recording. You always get punished for not checking the monitor.  I guess it isn't really mic cable grade or not properly shielded or something.  Any thoughts on 1/8" mic cables?  I ordered some from microphonemadness.com and hopefully they will perform better.

David Aue

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2008, 05:14:25 PM »

I was the one with the serious locking problems on recently purchased MT2's.  I installed the new beta an have recorded about 15 tracks with it since with no problems.  Not enough to be conclusive but highly encouraging.  My real concern is why it would be that some units lock up but others don't with the same firmware.  If it was really just a software problem wouldn't it affect all units?

Anyway, I'm just glad it works.

David Aue

Not all units would necessarily lock. It really would depend on what was making it lock which would be any combination of factors. Glad it is fixed.

I was one of the original owners of the MT 2496. I still use it all the time for various stealth applications and occasionally as a bitbucket when traveling or when access to my Tascam is impractical. I love it and have made many many recordings. When it was brand new, it barely worked. In my experience, as they got the bugs out, it became better and eventually rock solid. For me the only flaw is the 2gb file limit as I like to use 24bit. This is not a huge problem, I can always find a spot to start a new file if the set is running long which is not often.

I plan to upgrade to the MT2, but I figure this time I will wait a while since I have a unit that does the job. I know that M-Audio gets hammered, but I suspect they will get the bugs worked out as fast as they are uncovered. In both instances, they announced that the software was Beta, but of course the salespeople never stress this.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
Has anyone tried the 1/4 inputs after the new firmware update? Is there still the same ratcheting noise present?

I do have to say that I am super happy with mine. Have run it at 16/44.1, 24/48 and 24/96 with success at all levels. Has anyone tried going in via the mic input?

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2008, 08:49:18 PM »
Update. I just ran my CA Omnis straight into the 1/8 Mic input and was astonished at the sound quality that I got without running the CA9100 preamp in front of it. Could make for an excellent stealth setup.  >:D Did a living room test with some acoustic and bass infused funk and noticed that you have to run the input level at about 33% so that it doesn't clip.  Going to test it out at my buddy's studio sometime this week. As far as the 1/4 in is concerned, the noise is only present when internal gain was turned up all the way and it was dead quiet. Going to try a couple more tests on the 1/4 inputs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com