Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Making Cables [How to Video]  (Read 3083 times)

Offline spott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Making Cables [How to Video]
« on: November 07, 2006, 11:29:52 PM »
Also check the video out for making an open source TiVo (MythTV)

http://revision3.com/systm/avcabling

In this episode we teach you how to make the same cables that most broadcast engineers use for their own projects and talk about why they don't buy those expensive cables at the stores. We show you the tools and how to use them so that you can become the cable making professional you were meant to be. Finally, we show you how to organize the rat's nest behind the TV for that professional look and a broadcast quality signal.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Making Cables [How to Video]
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 11:41:37 PM »
nice find!  +T steve....
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 01:58:15 PM »
Great vid...thanks
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 12:04:59 AM »
thanks for the vid
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 01:29:09 AM »
Cool. Looks interesting. Thanks +T
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 12:58:15 AM »
I also found this video on how to make some interconnect cables. http://guerrillaaudio.com/store/bunker/How_to_build_your_own_high_end_Interconnect_Cables.html
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 11:50:07 PM »
If anyone is interested I have the original systm video of them making cables from the link in the first post.  I believe its around 500mb and large enough to see what they're doing. 

If you'd like it send me a PM and I'll figure out a way to get to anyone that wants it.

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »
The guy is talking about pinching the center conductor of an RCA conductor to make it out of round and increase the contact pressure!  WTF?  How about just getting a good RCA connector to begin with?  Boogering up your connector's center pin with needlenose pliers does not sound like good advice to me.  What is it about people who make cables for a living that makes them so prone to spread this type of poor advice?

The guy also talks about the shielding being 75 ohms.  There's nothing about the shielding that makes it 75 ohm shielding.  75 ohms is the intrinsic impedance of the cable, not just the shield.  The cable impedance is set by the dielectric constant of the insulating material between the center conductor and the outer conductor and by the ratio of the inner diameter of the outer conductor to the outer diameter of the inner conductor.

I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes because I kept hearing misinformation.  Maybe I'm too hard on the guy, but it's hard for me to take advice from someone who so obviously doesn't understand the details of the technology they are using.  On the other hand, I suppose he can make good cables without knowing anything about transmission line theory, shielding or material properties.

Oh, and by the way, gold is NOT the best conductor in terms of conductivity.  It just happens to be a conductor that is not particularly prone to corrosion.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com