Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendations for replacing Beyer MC930s?  (Read 15039 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: Recommendations for replacing Beyer MC930s?
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »
another option to try is some minor EQ.  the "lack of detail" that you think you hear on the mc930's might just be that some (lower) frequencies are being emphasized, while some other frequencies (mids/mid-highs) are quieter in your recording.  By balancing the frequency response, you might find that the mc930's already have enough "detail" in the recordings, but it's just being overpowered by the lower frequencies.  Just an idea to try out before spending cash on new mics.

I have to agree with Jason here in theory. While the Beyers may or may not have the detail the OP desires, running a High Pass Filter on the low end will seriously help with almost
any recording. Usually there is so much low frequency energy being recorded, that it clouds or overwhelms many of the higher frequencies tied to that root frequency.

For example, if you are looking for more high end clarity or detail, you could use additive EQ and bump the 4K region. Or you could use (preferred) subtractive EQ and pull back the 500hz region a bit, which will actually enhance all of the higher frequencies related to that root. 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K....    If you want to really accentuate the better frequencies of your recording, try rolling off below 40hz and pull out a few db in the 125hz-500hz range, it will open the top end dramatically.

Thank you very much for the "subtractive EQ" advice nashphil!!   :)  Very much appreciated

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2009, 08:51:38 PM »
dare to be different folks.  Try different mics (other than the standard "taper mics")

and try the mics with different pre's.  Don't buy into what others tell you.  If I want to hear schoeps>sd (or neumann>grace or akg>oade) I can stay at home and dl 10 of the same source from every big show.  Be different folks.  Makes it fun  ;D  Isn't that what it's about?

AMEN to that!

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 01:52:51 AM »
In the past I ran the SP LSD2 and was really happy with the results. However, I began to think I was missing out on running near-coincident configs. So I sold it and bought the mc930s, but none of the recordings I made with the mc930s (ORTF)> FR2-le had any zing - they all sounded duller than what I preferred. Maybe if I had run them XY, they would have sounded crisper and less muddy, but then I would be right back to a coincident config. I sold them and went back to the LSD2. No regrets.

Edit to add: Peluso, MBHO, and Audix are too bright in my recording experience, so I don't have any real recommendation for a SD mic pair. I've never used the AKG models that are often mentioned as having a brighter sound. Ever consider the THE microphones?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:12:47 AM by CliveStaples »
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com