Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: akg 414 xls vs Rode NT2000  (Read 4795 times)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
akg 414 xls vs Rode NT2000
« on: February 23, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »
i have been seriously thinking about picking up some 414's (again), and wonder if anyone has had experience with both the 414 and the nt2000?

i will use these as a stereo pair, spot micing and as flanking omnis (i imagine).

thanks for any thoughts. 
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: akg 414 xls vs Rode NT2000
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:03:23 PM »
Funny you should post this.....

I am currently selling a set of NT2000's

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132579.0

I have not owned the 414's but have heard many recordings with them...

I think the 414's may be a ever so slightly brighter than the rodes.  I find the NT2000's to sound more like a Neumann TLM170... The Rodes have a very clean sound especially up close and get darker as you move further back......  I love them but life has forced me to sell them.  I will own another pair someday when things get back to normal..

The 414's are smaller..... but on stage or at stage lip this wouldn't matter because they wouldn't be high anyway...  They absolutely shine on stage...I have used them mostly in the omni and wide card settings....and they smoke!!!  used the hypers once about 60' back with great results...

The 414's are much lighter too I am sure.  The NT2000's have some heft to them... you hold them in your hand and they exude quality...

I unfortunately don't have any samples posted....

I have run the NT2000's at 12' ....and you know they are there....you can't stealth with these suckers.....LOL

But I think they are the absolute best bang for the buck....Kimock ran onstage Rodes NT2's for years and those recordings smoked...Which is what led me to the NT2000's.  I loved those Kimock recordings..... and having the variable settings makes it easy to dial it in how you want it.. or make it more difficult because you have that many more choices to choose from LOL....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:27:37 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:13:18 AM »
Just the opposite of OtheroneK: I've heard quite a few NT2000 recordings that I like, like the build on Rode's in general, have never owned them but I do have a pair of 414 XLS's that I love to pieces.  Definitely a case of, "You'll get my 414's when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers, etc, etc..."  Back in my studio days I used B-ULS a lot, they would get beat to hell and still sound great.  Build quality on the XLS's is just as good and I don't feel I have to really baby them.

My feelings for them aside, I will say this: I find that my 414's can sometimes be a little finicky in some venues when it comes to placement and pattern configuration.  I've had a few pulls in small clubs come out muddy and I've had pulls in medium sized spaces (3000-5000 ppl) that were beautifully balanced and audio gold, in both settings thinking I was adjusting to the room's strengths and having good mixes.  Probably still getting to "know" the mics capabilities.  There are plenty of samples at the LMA, but if you're interested I can point you to some of my recordings.  Good luck!

Offline spcyrfc

• Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
i have owned a pair of 414xls and ran them often in various settings.  i got good results with them most of the time.  they are a versatile mic.

i mentioned the nt2000 cause i saw it in YS and hand never seen/heard one.  seems to me the recordings on LMA are mostly sources mixed with the nt2000.  they do look pretty beefy.  OoK, which pelican case or hard plastic case are those mic's housed in?

mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:45:27 PM »
Just the opposite of OtheroneK: I've heard quite a few NT2000 recordings that I like, like the build on Rode's in general, have never owned them but I do have a pair of 414 XLS's that I love to pieces.  Definitely a case of, "You'll get my 414's when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers, etc, etc..."  Back in my studio days I used B-ULS a lot, they would get beat to hell and still sound great.  Build quality on the XLS's is just as good and I don't feel I have to really baby them.

My feelings for them aside, I will say this: I find that my 414's can sometimes be a little finicky in some venues when it comes to placement and pattern configuration.  I've had a few pulls in small clubs come out muddy and I've had pulls in medium sized spaces (3000-5000 ppl) that were beautifully balanced and audio gold, in both settings thinking I was adjusting to the room's strengths and having good mixes.  Probably still getting to "know" the mics capabilities.  There are plenty of samples at the LMA, but if you're interested I can point you to some of my recordings.  Good luck!

i have owned a pair of 414xls and ran them often in various settings.  i got good results with them most of the time.  they are a versatile mic.

i mentioned the nt2000 cause i saw it in YS and hand never seen/heard one.  seems to me the recordings on LMA are mostly sources mixed with the nt2000.  they do look pretty beefy.  OoK, which pelican case or hard plastic case are those mic's housed in?

Not sure what I said in previous posting to give anyone the impression I don't like these mics...  I love these mics.....The only reason they were sold was due to no income for 3 months.  I will own another pair in the future... And I refused to sell a kidney... Although JD suggested it..

As for the case it was the pelican 1400 and yeah they are beefy... swing one of these and you could easily take out a row of wookies....

peace OOK
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:47:26 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
for those interested these are back on the market.  If you have any other questions about the mics ask away......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com