Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MME > usb > fujitsu p2120 problems?  (Read 4632 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
MME > usb > fujitsu p2120 problems?
« on: February 04, 2004, 08:40:14 AM »
i was looking into buying a fujitsu p2120 and the seller (yokel from this board) said that he had some problems running the mme with the laptop via usb. at every bit rate he had problems like clicks and pops i think he said.

does anyone here run the 2 and use usb successfully?

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
Re:MME > usb > fujitsu p2120 problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 08:05:02 PM »
I tried running usb into my c1vn and for some reason it just would not work had the same probs. clicks pops and all the above.  I tried setting my computer up just for recording.  Like shutting down services and all that good stuff.  It still would not work.  I bought a vx pocket v2 and haven't had a problem since.  I also have a 2120 but i have not tested the usb with the mme on it.  I will and let you know what happens.
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline the yokel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 11:50:31 PM »
Yes, please respond with your results on the 2120 via USB.  As i've ran the MME successfully on other PC's via USB this one left me clueless.  I've read reports of people having problems with sony's (C1VN's) & other picturebooks having the same problem just not with Fujitsu's.  I also know Rusty was able to set up his C1VN via USB with no problems.  I've tried all kinds of configurations & drivers but nothing seems to get it working 100% via USB.  Very strange.  

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 02:43:37 PM »
yep... still using the C1VN and MME via USB flawlessly and digging it.  

Some thoughts off the top of my head:
  1) perform a clean,custom install of Win2k disabling the install of the useless stuff - ie - network settings, dial-up connections, games, Accessibility Options, etc... all that crap should be done on another laptop or on another install (I use Win ME for that).

2) Keep only the software you need installed on Win2k.  For me this is WaveLab, flac and winamp.  That's it.  

3) Disable practically every service.  I'm at work now and can't give you a list of the services that I have running but there are only a handful enabled on my 2k install.

4) Defrag is your friend.  Use it and use it often.

5) Power Options - disable them all

Also - in WaveLab (assuming that's what you use) - bump up the buffer count.  Can't check right now but I'm pretty sure I have it at the default block size, but the number of blocks used is now at 32.  

PM me if you want me to check for sure on any of my uncertainties above when I get home.  If I think of anything else I'll post it, but I'm pretty sure this is about all I did.

Rusty

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 05:29:02 PM »
thanks for the response rusty.  Tried all that invensom.  Only thing i haven't tried is 2k as i don't have have a copy.  Kinda wish Apogee would write a Linux driver.  

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 07:54:13 AM »
this has got me rethinking all my laptop wants

i was thinking of picking up either a c1vn or a 2120, and dont know what to do now

maybe i should just pick up that 2120 for yokel, and do a fresh install of win2k like you were saying

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 08:26:16 AM »
I'm guessing you're using XP then?  Never tried it for recording, but from what I've used I can tell you it seems to be a bit of a performance hog.  Keep the XP for your games and Internet surfing and find yourself a copy of win2k.  Good Luck!

Rusty

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 09:00:37 AM »
his 2120 has xp yes. but i would only be using the lappy for taping purposes, so im guessing i would be ok if i bought the 2120 and did a clean install of win2k
?

rusty did you have any problems with the usb > c1vn before you had a clean install of win2k?

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 09:50:03 AM »
I never even tried it without performing an install of Win2k.  The C1VNs come standard with Windows ME (read as crap) which I new I didn't want to use as my recording OS so I put down Win2k before ever trying it.  I did however have a couple pops/clicks at 24/48 prior to adjusting the WaveLab buffer information.  Once I adjusted WaveLab's settings recording has been glitch free.  16/44.1 and 16/48 worked flawlessly right off the bat.  Also, bear in mind that I did quite a bit of testing of the lappy/MME combo before I ever brought it out to the field.  The field is not the place to test configs.

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 10:30:51 AM »
Ya, i've set the MME up on other computers with XP pro just fine (one of which being half as slow).  I just can't figure this one out on the 2120 via USB.  VX is fine with it.  I did find a copy of 2k lying around & am gonna see if that helps any.  On XP, it's not so bad if you turn off all the bullshit running in the background.  

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 10:18:44 PM »
hopefully this pans out, i want that p2120!

if not i guess il snag a c1vn on the bay and delete everything and do a clean install of win2k

i will have alot of time to test this sucker for sure, as i archive for a local band, i could sit in on jam sessions and practices daily

Offline adventuregeorge

• Taperssection Member
  • Work, play hard, and... Drink Milk!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 08:27:50 PM »
It's your USB port.... do you have USB 2??

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2004, 01:08:18 AM »
thats a good question. even though ive allready bought a vaio picturebook, i would like to know what the original problem was cause by

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2004, 08:49:28 PM »
Yes, it has USB 2.0.  I'm not really sure how that would be a problem as i think USB is backwards compatible.  I've also tried running it with a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card with the same results.  Same card worked fine on other computers.  

cpclark

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 03:08:34 AM »
maybe its the usb chipset, for example, i believe the ua-5 is only truly compatible with certain usb chipsets, i would look into what usb chipset the 2120 uses and if apogee states what chipsets its usb out is compatible with.

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2004, 04:19:18 PM »
I have also heard that it could be the chipset of the usb in my quest to get mme usb working into my c1vn.  Didn't get a chance to test the usb going into to my fujitsu this weekend stuck with the vx pocket.  As soon as i get to test it out i will let you know
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com