Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 671 announced (on Oade)  (Read 89451 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Marantz PMD 671 announced (on Oade)
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2005, 12:03:16 PM »
The 671 runs on 8 AA batteries and Marantz claims 5-6 hours on alkalines.  I'm running rechargeable Powercell NiMH batteries in mine and I understand it'll run for quite a while on these.  I recorded for over 4 hours tonight and the battery indicator hasn't changed.  I'll do some more recording at home tomorrow to see how much time I can get on a set.

How do you like your 671?
That's good to know that it will run on rechargable AA's.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline RDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2005, 06:47:12 PM »
So far I really like the 671.  If money was no object, I would have sprung for the SD 722, but for less than half the cost of the 722, I was able to get the 671, 2 - 4 gig cards and a reporter style case for the 671.  It records at 24/96 through the digital input, passes a digital signal through the digital ouput, and the analog inputs are as good as what I've used before with the DAP1.  And I can record most shows I see (including the opening act) with 8 AA batteries.  Granted the mic inputs aren't great, but I don't see myself using them.  If I change my mind, I'll get Doug Oade to modify my unit.  Plus this is a sweet machine for doing DAT transfers.... and it's so nice to NOT be dealing with a Windows box for recording!

The only negative I see for my use is the fact that 8 gig compact flash cards are so expensive.  To do 24/96 with a 4 gig card, you'll only get a little over 2 hours record time.  So until 8 gig cf cards drop in price (which they'll probably do soon), I'll mainly be recording at 24/48 since I can get over 4 hours on the 4 gig cards I have right now at that resolution.  And you can get over 6 hours at 16 bit on a 4 gig card...  If I could get Marantz to make one change to the unit, I'd suggest including an internal hard drive of 20 gb or greater.... but since the majority of the market for these devices is ENG (elecronic news gathering), that's not something that will be in great demand.

I look forward to giving it another spin at the Allman Brothers in Raleigh this Friday!!!!
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

Offline Chuck

« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2005, 06:56:55 PM »
So far I really like the 671.  If money was no object, I would have sprung for the SD 722, but for less than half the cost of the 722, I was able to get the 671, 2 - 4 gig cards and a reporter style case for the 671.  It records at 24/96 through the digital input, passes a digital signal through the digital ouput, and the analog inputs are as good as what I've used before with the DAP1.  And I can record most shows I see (including the opening act) with 8 AA batteries.  Granted the mic inputs aren't great, but I don't see myself using them.  If I change my mind, I'll get Doug Oade to modify my unit.  Plus this is a sweet machine for doing DAT transfers.... and it's so nice to NOT be dealing with a Windows box for recording!

The only negative I see for my use is the fact that 8 gig compact flash cards are so expensive.  To do 24/96 with a 4 gig card, you'll only get a little over 2 hours record time.  So until 8 gig cf cards drop in price (which they'll probably do soon), I'll mainly be recording at 24/48 since I can get over 4 hours on the 4 gig cards I have right now at that resolution.  And you can get over 6 hours at 16 bit on a 4 gig card...  If I could get Marantz to make one change to the unit, I'd suggest including an internal hard drive of 20 gb or greater.... but since the majority of the market for these devices is ENG (elecronic news gathering), that's not something that will be in great demand.

I look forward to giving it another spin at the Allman Brothers in Raleigh this Friday!!!!

+T for the info. When you say you can record a show with openner with 8 AA's... Is that the rechargeables or alkalines?
I'm going to get the ACM 671 from Oade, because I like the sound of the ACM 660. Since the MicroTracker still has some serious bugs, I think the modded 671 will be my rig for a while.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2005, 03:19:05 AM »

+T for the info. When you say you can record a show with openner with 8 AA's... Is that the rechargeables or alkalines?
I'm going to get the ACM 671 from Oade, because I like the sound of the ACM 660. Since the MicroTracker still has some serious bugs, I think the modded 671 will be my rig for a while.

same here minus the ACM mod since im pretty happy w/ my v3 for now :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2005, 10:50:02 AM »
Anyone care to speculate how the +mod on the 671 will stack up against the V3?
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2005, 11:21:40 AM »
it will stack up favorably.
:-)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2005, 11:38:03 AM »
Isn't there an optional internal rechargeable battery? Anyone have any idea how long its last compared to AAs?
Retired Taper

Offline Chuck

« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2005, 11:57:17 AM »
Yes, there is an internal rechargable battery option. Maybe someone that has it, can comment?

Offline RDunn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2005, 12:09:29 PM »
Isn't there an optional internal rechargeable battery? Anyone have any idea how long its last compared to AAs?

There are two rechargeable battery packs available for the 671....
RB1100 (Ni-Cd)
RB1651 (Ni-Mh)
The retail price for either is $85 and it can be charged in the 671.  They also make an outboard charger, but it sells for $215.
The only benefit I see to for these packs over 8 rechargeable AA batteries is it can be switched quickly in the field.  Taking out 8 batteries and putting in 8 new ones isn't something you'll do as easily.

Marantz claims the following battery life for the different options:
8 AA's - 4-6 hours
RB1100 - 4-5 hours
RB1651 - 6-7 hours
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2005, 04:15:54 PM »
I've had a history of bad experiences with marantz products going south in a hurry. I'm intrigued with this deck, but my past has me being extremely cautious.

interesting, my Marantz pmd430 is a friggin work horse!
if I hadnt lost the ac power supply for it years ago, I would still have it hooked up to transfer old casette masters.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2005, 02:36:36 AM »
i owned a marantz 4-track cassette many years ago and that thing was also a TANK

i'd like to play around w/ it at the very least
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2005, 09:49:01 AM »
Thanks Nick for yer opinion on the 671pre vs. V3. Of course a dedicated pre will certainly sound better, but simplicity for me is key, as I'm always passing off the recorder for others to tape me. I LOVE the fact you can auto-start/split the files too. Come October, I think I'll be splurging w/ this machine.

What are people's reactions to the Limiter's on the 660? I know most 24bit purists won't use them, but I'm interested in what they might do for live classical and the problems that the occasional cymbal or applause presents....
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2005, 10:38:32 AM »
Thanks Nick for yer opinion on the 671pre vs. V3. Of course a dedicated pre will certainly sound better, but simplicity for me is key, as I'm always passing off the recorder for others to tape me. I LOVE the fact you can auto-start/split the files too. Come October, I think I'll be splurging w/ this machine.

disagree!!
the preamp section on the 660/671 will rival any outboard preamp.
this is an Oade pre we are talking about...least not forget.

also...Mike...
I believe this thing is around DAP1 sized.  certainly smaller than the Fostex FR2.
I've looked at the measurements.  Its like 2" tall x 7" deep x 10" wide.  thats not very big.

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2005, 10:54:58 AM »
It does seem fairly sizable compared to some other decks, but if an Oade ACM 671 can replace my UA-5 and JB3 plus the assorted cables needed to connect them all, then it really tightens up my rig. That's one of the big plusses that has me looking closely at one of these. And the fact that the ACM should make it sound sweeet!!
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2005, 11:11:37 AM »
disagree!!
the preamp section on the 660/671 will rival any outboard preamp.

:hmmm:
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com